What if Inza killed Azreal and took over Sithicus

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: What if Inza killed Azreal and took over Sithicus

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I think Magda's unwillingness to see just how evil Inza was stems from the loss of her own caravan at a young age -- and the fact that she was probably not treated very well there, on the whole.
Yes, her grandmother wanted Magda to be the tribe's storyteller and maybe the next raunie, but this did not stop Magda's own brother from trying to whore her out to a wealthy boyar against her will. He truly set up his own sister to be raped, and was more upset about her indirectly causing his violin to be scratched than he was about her having had to fight off a grown man to get away. And no one tried to stop him from doing so, despite Magda's standing with her grandmother.
I'm speculating wildly, of course, but I'd imagine after a youth with very little affection from her family and clan-mates, Magda would have set huge store by preserving ties with her family and her people; she wanted that warmth, that affection, she had been starved of, at any price. Her gathering up the Wanderers, who if I recall correctly were all survivors of atrocities committed against the Vistani, seems to support this. Her keeping Inza close and seeming not to realize the depths of her perfidity does as well, in its own way; she could not bring herself to abandon Inza to the cold and the darkness, where she herself had dwelled, until she could no longer deny her daughter was a monster and doomed to fill Soth's vacant seat.

Of course, in the end she was still Magda Kulchevich, quite possibly my favourite Vistana of all time. Even dying due to Inza's machinations and outright sabotage of Gard, she let Soth know the way back was waiting for him, and she delivered to him the white rose that brought Solinari to the skies of Sithicus. That was a dynamite scene. :)
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: What if Inza killed Azreal and took over Sithicus

Post by brilliantlight »

Rock wrote:I think Magda's unwillingness to see just how evil Inza was stems from the loss of her own caravan at a young age -- and the fact that she was probably not treated very well there, on the whole.
Yes, her grandmother wanted Magda to be the tribe's storyteller and maybe the next raunie, but this did not stop Magda's own brother from trying to whore her out to a wealthy boyar against her will. He truly set up his own sister to be raped, and was more upset about her indirectly causing his violin to be scratched than he was about her having had to fight off a grown man to get away. And no one tried to stop him from doing so, despite Magda's standing with her grandmother.
I'm speculating wildly, of course, but I'd imagine after a youth with very little affection from her family and clan-mates, Magda would have set huge store by preserving ties with her family and her people; she wanted that warmth, that affection, she had been starved of, at any price. Her gathering up the Wanderers, who if I recall correctly were all survivors of atrocities committed against the Vistani, seems to support this. Her keeping Inza close and seeming not to realize the depths of her perfidity does as well, in its own way; she could not bring herself to abandon Inza to the cold and the darkness, where she herself had dwelled, until she could no longer deny her daughter was a monster and doomed to fill Soth's vacant seat.

Of course, in the end she was still Magda Kulchevich, quite possibly my favourite Vistana of all time. Even dying due to Inza's machinations and outright sabotage of Gard, she let Soth know the way back was waiting for him, and she delivered to him the white rose that brought Solinari to the skies of Sithicus. That was a dynamite scene. :)
Agreed, her tribe seemed to be fine with her brother treating her as a slut from the street! Nobody came to her defense at all. If her own brother treated her like that how did the rest of her tribe?