The Keepers of the Black Feather (version 2)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Keepers of the Black Feather (version 2)

Post by Five »

I was browsing some books, trying to connect some thoughts that were going on in my head, when I came across these guys (whom I had forgotten about).

Few things popped out at me.

Neutral Good intentionally infecting people with lycanthropy. What? Is this survival of the species? Can they (the wereravens) not breed (they can because Pyoor Twohundredsummers was said to be the first to hatch in RL)? Are the five holders of the feather all that remains of these (2E) offworlders, with Pyoor being transported while still in-egg? This reads wrong to me. I could argue this fact into play, sure, but I shouldn't have to. The lack of need to infect people makes this fact spit IMO. Continuation of the species aside, can not the Keepers combat Strahd (guerrilla at that) without the need to be wereravens? R-rated language, question mark.

Pyoor Twohundredsummers. He's dead. Keeva Sixtywinters has taken on leadership (3E). Yet I still can't get past the fact that the wereravens intentionally infect their followers. My thoughts are disconnected because of this fact and so I go into tinker mode.

So...

Pyoor Twohundredsummers was the last of his kind and died in 755 (Gaz 1). His last wish was for the Keepers of the Black Feather to continue their quest to destroy Strahd. He would guide them spiritually. A ritual is taught to and performed amongst the five human (!) holders of the feather that will enable Pyoor's spirit to linger to do as such (DM eyebrow, grin). Yes, his will to recover the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind is that great. This secret ritual is performed in private, away from civilisation (prying eyes and ears), and wisely only conducted during daylight. To further hide the identities of the holders of the feather, masks are worn and hidden somewhat near the forest circle/grove/meeting spot when not in use (to be caught with these things is not good!).
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 725 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 725 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Last edited by Five on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Keepers of the Black Feather (version 2)

Post by Five »

Last two..
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 724 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 724 times
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Keepers of the Black Feather (version 2)

Post by Five »

In other words, there aren't a crazy number of good-aligned wereravens running (flying) around Barovia infecting their followers. There are weird raven rituals performed in secret. Weird like that crowd in The Wicker Man. Weird, but with good intentions (despite appearances).

The rest is as is. Minor cosmetic change is all.

Pictures used without permission.