Breaking the Twins' Skepticism

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Breaking the Twins' Skepticism

Post by Hell_Born »

So, one of the things I really found interesting in the Van Richten's Guide to Mists was the segment talking about how the Outlanders - those unfortunates snatched by the Mists from elsewhere in the multiverse - are perceived by the oblivious inhabitants of the Demiplane of Dread. Now, I can't cite the page where it's made explicit, or even if it is the case at all, but I found it ironic that Laurie (the more "practical" twin) readily believes the theory that Outlanders really do come from Beyond The Mist, whilst Gennifer is more skeptical.

Now, I agree that Gennifer's skepticism is a very rational belief from an in-universe perspective; she is a bright and well-educated denizen of the Demiplane, but still ultimately a small fish in a tiny pond. What interests me, though, is this: could Gennifer be persuaded to believe that Outlanders really are coming from worlds beyond her own world? If yes, how could that happen? And what might she do after accepting that this world she lives in is somehow anomalous in the cosmos?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Breaking the Twins' Skepticism

Post by tomokaicho »

Hell_Born wrote: could Gennifer be persuaded to believe that Outlanders really are coming from worlds beyond her own world? If yes, how could that happen? And what might she do after accepting that this world she lives in is somehow anomalous in the cosmos?
Sure. If she met an experienced planar traveler that could explain stuff to her about planes, and was also a convincing type of person, there is no reason why she could not be convinced.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Breaking the Twins' Skepticism

Post by Hell_Born »

tomokaicho wrote:
Hell_Born wrote: could Gennifer be persuaded to believe that Outlanders really are coming from worlds beyond her own world? If yes, how could that happen? And what might she do after accepting that this world she lives in is somehow anomalous in the cosmos?
Sure. If she met an experienced planar traveler that could explain stuff to her about planes, and was also a convincing type of person, there is no reason why she could not be convinced.
How could they convince her, though? What sort of things would they need to tell her in order to make her accept that there really are worlds beyond this one?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"