FoS Discord

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

FoS Discord

Post by Zilfer »

Hello my fellow Undead, I have gathered you here today just to mention I've made a Discord in hopes of supplementing the activity here at the board. Discord for those who don't know is sort of like the old Chat rooms if anyone ever had AOL of all things. (Was that even a thing outside the USA I'm not sure) Anyways it is like an Instant Messenger but full of people and you can change channels to discuss different topics (or see what other people are talking about.)

I got permission from the mods/admins here to go ahead and make it so i worked for a day or so setting up the skeleton of the server and I'll provide the link here. The rules are fairly basic, just treat each other with respect even if you disagree with someone. Below I'll include the join link, and to use it you will have to make an account for Discord if you do not have one already. (Gonzoron mentioned it is initially overwhelming which I think can definitely be true and I tried to make it as simplistic as I could).

My thoughts in suggesting a Discord is that I was thinking how nice it would be to occasionally be able to have a much quicker discussion about Ravenloft, which Discord could potentially help with, and more well thought out posts still up on this forum. (who knows maybe even discussion will prompt a few topics to go up here.) Regardless, anyone wanting to check it out can click the link below (register an account if you don't have one) and then you'll pretty much be free to browse the channels. (there isn't much there yet) Let the experiment begin. :Brain: :Brain: :Brain:

https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf

Edit: Updated the Link
Last edited by Zilfer on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: FoS Discord

Post by Hyperbog »

I'll reply to this post to keep things on topic. Over the past year since the OP posted this thread, and created the server Discord has become exponentially more popular due to global circumstances forcing everyone to go digital, and play online. With the way Discord servers are able to be structured, and with the large user-base using its platform it has the potential to be the central hub for all-things Ravenloft. There would also be the usual off-topic / general channels. I'm in an FB group solely dedicated to Ravenloft, and CoS, and that group alone has over 10k members. Just a though / suggestion.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I'm interested in this. What would be the Discord's name, or, do you have a valid invite?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Ah, nevermind. It's in the sig. :)
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

Ha! I didn't see the second link in the sig. Just the first in the post which is no longer valid. That's probably the dead link Gonzoron was referring to. I just joined the Discord server using the link in the signature though. Perhaps if this or a newer post is stickied at the top of the forum it would get more forum users to join. Not sure how many that is, but it would draw attention to it. Could also drop links in groups we're a part of.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Hey sorry about that I'm fairly new to Discord's permissions and the like, updated the link to be a permanent one as far as I can tell. The original one I think only lasted a week! And beyond that I had all the channels hidden for some reason! xD growing pains.

Should be good to use either link from now on.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Stickied this post. Will add a link on the front page and send out an announcement on FB & Twitter, if that's OK with you, Zilfer...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Stickied this post. Will add a link on the front page and send out an announcement on FB & Twitter, if that's OK with you, Zilfer...
That's fine with me. :)

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

To be fair, while I do use discord, I find it kinda clunky when there are more than a handful of people in a server.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Hyperbog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hyperbog »

There an option called Slowmode that you can enable on server channels that puts a timer on how quickly any one person can post in chat. So, for example, you could have it set where folks can post every five seconds so that there's room to breathe in chat. It's pretty flexible.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:To be fair, while I do use discord, I find it kinda clunky when there are more than a handful of people in a server.
Yeah super populated servers tend to have that issue, though I usually don't encounter it around until the 1,000 member mark in my experience though I may be of a younger generation that is used to the rapid messaging of discord. Still remember AOL Chatroom Chaos.

If your also having an engaging conversation with a specific person and it gets buried it's usually fairly easy to take that conversation to DM's or who knows it'll make you want to do a long form post here on the forum. :)

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeaaaah, I was talking more about something like... 20 people in a server.

Furthermore, discord IS NOT a forum. You cannot realistically have 50+ threads, each with each one topic where people contribute and you read it at your leisure 3 days later and then remains a resource for you to use 2 years later.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Yeaaaah, I was talking more about something like... 20 people in a server.

Furthermore, discord IS NOT a forum. You cannot realistically have 50+ threads, each with each one topic where people contribute and you read it at your leisure 3 days later and then remains a resource for you to use 2 years later.
Wasn't implying it was a forum. I was saying a conversation there could easily inspire a long form post here on the forum. (Example: I speak with someone about the shattering of the core and decide to put up a topic here about how I would do the new 5e shattering of the core / reasoning behind it.)

Discord for sure is not conducive for long form discussions, the intent at least from my perspective is to be able to exchange quick questions or information on the Discord and leave more of the in-depth discussions (Or write ups) here on the forum. :)

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yup, the two should be able to co-exist and cross-pollinate. But they definitely have different uses.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I tried Discord yesterday and has something that seems chaotic to me, is it the graphics? I don't know (I am not using social media by the way so I am not used to that). Also I observed that there are less members logged in the forum since Discord and there is also the problem of different time zones if it is real time, for instance my time zone is (GMT+3) compared while etc. Ottawa, Canada is (GMT-4).
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe