Unified Theory of Powers Checks

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

The system, while not particularly simple, is very elegant and easy to use. I particularly like how it means that for a character to progress, he generally needs to commit more varied (different categories) or particularly vile (to get past the increasing negatives) evils. No more Fourth-Stage for stealing silverware!
That's my favorite bit, yeah. It fits the character of the Dark Powers; you can be a terrible evil wizard or Johnny McSlaughterguys, but what the DPs are /really/ interested in is collecting unique personalities with a variety of sins and a potential for more sinning. Conversly, the one time-tested way to get out of being a Darklord is to become...boring. Nathan Timothy did it, Soth did it...maybe have, I don't know, some kind of domancy factor. Like, a failed check stops counting after a certain amount of time of activly not doing anything.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I wouldn't recommend making an escape clause like that an element of the house-rule. Considering how long some of the darklords have been striving to get out, you'd think one of them would've made the connection by now, if there were any surefire way to discard one's domain.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Conversly, the one time-tested way to get out of being a Darklord is to become...boring. Nathan Timothy did it, Soth did it...maybe have, I don't know, some kind of domancy factor. Like, a failed check stops counting after a certain amount of time of activly not doing anything.
In the case of Nathan Timothy, I prefer to think of it more as a side effect of the Grand Conjunction - when the DP's reformed their little pet universe, they didn't manage to recollect everyone they'd previously held... or at the very least, they were more interested in the chance to "renovate" than to put a whole lot of effort into Nathan. Had the GC not occurred, he would probably still be stuck in Arkandale.

Thus, you get a case where the DP's have their high priorities... making sure Strahd and Azalin were recollected, giving Heinfroth his own domain, putting Markovia in a more flavorful location, rearranging Valachan and Hazlan. Then there are the things they reorganized last minute...

DP#1: What did you do to Ghastria?
DP#2: I shoved it aside for Valachan.
DP#1: Well, I liked Ghastria. Put it back!
DP#2: It doesn't fit there any more.
DP#1: I shall never forgive myself for giving you that feng shui book for your birthday.
DP#3: We don't have time for this. Ivan and Ivana were like five feet away from one another when we pulled them back and now we have to figure out what to do with Borca and Dorvinia. Just shove Ghastria somewhere in the Sea of Sorrows and be done with it.
DP#1: Fine. Wait a minute, I thought we recollected Nathan Timothy.
DP#2: We did. He's over in Arkan... wait, where'd he go?
DP#4: Hey, I found him, but he's not in his domain anymore.
DP#3: Aw, crap.
Last edited by Garudos Celestar on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Pfthahahhahahaha. A+.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

8) Way to go Nathan. Great Job! Again, you've shown that you aren't afraid to ticker with the system to try and make it better. Modifications like this are ultimately how not only Ravenloft, but D&D in general come to evolve.

This system is a relief to see, since I always found the original powers check system a bit obtuse. My only point to add is that it could use some more positive modifiers.

Do you think enjoying the act in question, even thought they know it's wrong, could warrant a +1 modifier?

Or, what if the character in question felt it was justified in it's actions?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Having just read this for the first time, I won't deny being impressed, but I find one thing I'd see changed and one I'd see clarified. Firstly, Sin seems rather... a tame term given the nature of what the victims suffer. I would see that changed to Crimes. Secondly, where does rape fall into th spectrum? I realize that rape rarely enters into gaming situations but we who write fiction would like definition. What if the victim is underage or is raped multiple times by a group? What if the victim is raped in front of relatives or other witnesses? What if the rape is merely one of the acts committed by the transgressor? Does each act merit it's own powers check or does each act compound into one powers check? As there seems to be a lot more fiction out there that deals with this subject and it is sadly becoming more prevalent in the world today, (Darfur, anyone?) it makes sense that this would be something that would be addressed in gaming terms. I mean, do we really have any right to exclude it? Drakov and Co would probably have oceans of failed powers checks among them for the systematic rape and mistreatment of their victims. It seems a cop out to call it simple torture, given the way it's been known to completely shatter its victims. As rarely as any PC is likely to have to answer for it, I think it might make for a good flavor piece to address this particular issue.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote:[W]here does rape fall into th spectrum?.
Enormities: Enormities inflict permanent damage to their subject, in the case of Violence and Betrayal, or use the powers of life and death for evil ends, or deliberately destroy something good, or create a new source of evil in the world.

Atrocities: Atrocities virtually always end in death, use the most powerful of evil magics, destroy something good or worthy, or create a new and permanent source of evil in the world.

One would hope that this wouldn't come up for PCs, but the act would generally fall in this region. Violent rape would be a Violence offense, date-rape a Betrayal offense.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I would like to propose a new thread: Calculate the powers checks. It would work like this: A scenario is proposed in which a character or characters, not necessarily PCs, would commit various acts that merit powers checks and Fraternity members would calculate those powers checks. A sample scenario would be as follows:

Bandits Tom, Dick, and Larry come across a farm and decide to rob it. They quietly break in through the kitchen and begin to search for valuables. Tom is surprised by the farmer and stabs him to death before either knows what has happened. This is witnessed by the farmer's wife, who begins to scream and throw things. This incites Dick and he attacks the wife in frenzy and beats her to death rather brutally. Larry then comes across a baby in a crib. He realizes the child is now an orphan and quietly smothers the baby with its own blanket to put it out of its misery. Calculate the powers checks.

Does this sound like anything anyone would be interested in?

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

How do the rules for being Mist-led figure into your unified system Nathan?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

AFAIK, being "Mist-led" -- and here, I'm assuming you mean Fugued, a la VRGttM -- doesn't have anything to do with Powers checks. Hang around in the Mists long enough, and it may or may not happen to you; whether your actions are good or evil doesn't have much to do with it. :?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

I think Giamarga is referring to the acquisition of mist powers.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Even so, I'm not seeing a strong causative link between gaining such abilities, and failing Powers checks. Dr. Penarrow didn't do anything evil to gain his mist-powers, he just wandered around lost and blind for years.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Manofevil wrote:Does this sound like anything anyone would be interested in?
Seriously, Comments on this idea?

Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

You could always start the thread and see what happens. I suspect you're more likely to get responses that way.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Manofevil wrote:
Manofevil wrote:Does this sound like anything anyone would be interested in?
Seriously, Comments on this idea?
I'd get involved!
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home