Adventure in Nidala - help me not mess it up

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Adventure in Nidala - help me not mess it up

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

my players, keep out! (Hey John, what's up?)

Warning: Long!
My campaign has been going on for over 5 realtime years now. Since before the first session, one of the PCs has had the goal of getting to Nidala to find out his mother's mysterious past. Finally, after 17 weekend-long sessions and 6 gametime years, we're going to get there next session. My biggest fear is that after all the anticipation, it will be a let-down when they get there. So any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Key Issues:
1) Entry point - how do they start finding info about his mother?
2) Complications - how does that lead to adventure?
3) Resolution - what unfinished business can they perform in his mother's stead that will give the trip meaning beyond an information dump?

Background: Here's what I've worked up so far on the PC's mother, Sharon... (John, I mean it, if you're still reading, scram! ;) )

(Note: Since Belenus is a Celtic god, I plundered an online gaelic dictionary for names. I don't intend to make Nidala=Ireland, since the existing sources don't make it seem very Irish, and Tepest has prior claim. So it goes no further than a few names.)

- Sharon was born in the mining village of Sgorrglag, grew up with a boy named Conrad.
- Sharon's family left to move to Glenmurron when she was young, years passed.
- She became a priestess of Belenus, but still left to see best friend Conrad often in secret. Plauged by doubt in her faith.
- Always scared that she’d be caught, because priestesses must be celibate and ascetic.
- After one trip, came home to see Glenmurron destroyed by 'Banemaw'.
- Met Elena and her Guardians of Faith, who 'got there too late'. Elena tells her, "Belenus has spared you from the dragon, child. Truly you are a priestess of pure heart and faith. Come return with us to Touraine." (This instills a great deal of guilt in her, since it was precisely her lack of faith and impure thoughts that saved her.) She asks, "There was a chalice, a gift from my parents when I attained the priesthood..." But Elena cuts her off, "There is nothing left here. The beast took everything of value to his lair." (Elena's men have already plundered everything of value and loaded them on wagons.)
- On the way to Touraine, a wagon wheel broke, and fell on the leg of Urien, one of the soldiers. Sharon healed him. He called her "my angel." One soldier said the wagon was too heavy for the axle. Sharon wondered to herself what was in the wagon that was so heavy.
- In Touraine, she ried to throw herself into her faith to soothe her grief. She studied as much as she could, under the watchful eye of Andraste, the high priestess. Started to find discrepancies in the ancient texts she couldn’t explain. (several references to the husbands of priestesses and also to male priests.)
- Asked Andraste, and was repeatedly hushed and sent to penance. Was told that ancient Nidalan had many meanings and she was interpreting it too literally.
- Heard that a village in the mountains fell to Banemaw. Rushed to Sgorrglag to make sure Conrad was safe. He was. It was a different village. Conrad sensed her unease and fear and begged her to run away with him. But she couldn’t leave until she’d put an end to Banemaw. She resolved to find Banemaw’s lair herself and alert Elena.
- Back in Touraine, she studied ancient texts about dragons, how they had all been slain or died out. But found one tale of an egg hidden long ago in the mountains. From the description in the story, she thought she knew where it might be, near Sgorrglag. Remembered the holy passage: “A woman who walks the true path of Belenus holds within her the power to slay beasts darker than night.” **(this is a subtle hint that Sharon was following the true path because only by giving up a celibate life could she give birth to Leif, who has slain many beasts in his day)
- Took her ceremonial sickle and went alone to the cave. Found only an empty cave, with wagon tracks leading out. Followed the tracks and caught up to Guardians and Elena about to burn another small village. She attacked them; Elena blocked and sundered the sickle. Said, “You… You are interfering in the holy work of Belenus. I once thought you a holy woman, but now I sense great evil in you. The Libram of Belenus speaks truth: “No man is so pure that he throws not a shadow when Belenus gazes on him.” Take her to the question.”
- Taken to the dungeons and tortured, let free by Urien, who still remembered "his angel". During escape, spies chalice in castle and grabs it. Runs to Conrad, tells him he was right, it’s time to go.
- Sharon and Conrad flee downriver in a small boat into the Mists, arrive in Port-a-Lucine, get married, change their last name to Shadowlands (As in, "Sharon and Conrad, of the Shadowlands") and settle in Barovia, where they have Leif, the PC.
- Sharon dies in a house fire. Leif finds a crate of her belongings and asks Conrad about them. Conrad tells him he and Sharon came from Nidala, but not much more.

Phew.... still with me?

So, here's what Leif has to go on:
- The contents of that crate are:
The golden gown of a priestess of Belenus
her broken sickle
the chalice (now a magic healing chalice)
A holy symbol pin of Belenus
a fancy book in Nidalan **** (Leif has recently learned Nidalan, so figuring out what the book says is top priority. It's not a journal of her whole story. (would make the trip moot). Is it about Banemaw? Is it one of those histories that mentions priests marrying?) ***

- Conrad said basically that he never knew who was chasing her in Nidala, but she was always scared of something when she visited him. She brought the crate with her, and never said what was in it. Out of respect and fear, he never looked.
(here's the complete text of that encounter: http://www.themistway.com/Leif-intro.html )

- Leif's making the trip with Gondegal and two other Knights. I can tailor how much or little they know about Nidala proper as I see fit.

- Madame Eva once read the Tarokka for Leif, regarding his mother: http://www.themistway.com/RL-S5-Tarokka.html
I'm thinking the Beast is Elena's Banemaw aspect, The Myrmidon is Urien, the Avenger is Elena herself, the Soldier is Leif, who I hope (along with the other PCs) will put an end to 'Banemaw' somehow.

Once he reaches Nidala, what's he got to work with?
- He only knows Sharon and Conrad's first names, which won't get him very far
- Elena, Urien and Andraste are all still around, but Elena's unlikely to remember anything (or even be cooperative), so I need some hook to lead him to Urien and Andraste.
- Another member of the party has Ethereal Empathy and Ghostsight. Could be helpful to witness Resonance of some of the past events, but they'd have to get to the locations of those events first.
- Another NPC I need to introduce is the Seer of the Phantasmal Forest, a powerful diviner. He can help somewhat, but they have to find him first, and they have no reason to look for him, nor any idea he exists.
- What can be found in "Banemaw's lair"? 1st thought: plunder from the burned villages, but Elena can just keep that at Faith-hold, and who wold question her? 2nd thought: oil, torches, etc, but again, why the need to hide when you are absolute ruler?

And once the truth comes out, what's the act he will have to finish to make it worthwhile?
- reveal to all that Banemaw is a lie? And get them to believe him? What kind of proof could he find?
- reveal to all that Elena's teachings of Belenus (including celibacy for priestesses and no male priests) are lies? Again, what's the proof?
- Destroy Elena's ability to continue the Banemaw charade? (I toyed with her having some kind of oil-pumping wagon that could spray down villages with oil before burning them. He could destroy that wagon, but big deal, she could just build another.)
- claim to have killed Banemaw and offer some false proof?
- avenge his mother's death? (Was someone sent to the Core to finish her off? Was the fire not an accident?)

For a long time, I had a general idea of how this would go, but now that crunch time approaches and I need details, I'm floundering. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading this far, at least. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

First thought about your second phase--maybe what Elena has down in "Banemaw's lair" is an modified Apparatus of Kwalish? It has some cosmetic alterations to make it appear somewhat more "draconic", and it can spit fire if you load it up with oil. Something that big and that noisy can't be transported into the center of town, so she has to keep it out in the woods.

Now all they have to do is find the cave, go down and find the "dragon", figure out how to operate it (perhaps the book his mother took will be useful here?), then drive it into town, park it, and say, "Look, it's the so-called dragon. Wow, I wonder who could have been operating it for all these years?"

Elena will try to kill them as soon as she learns they have it, and since Banemaw is now "real" she can probably make hay of its appearance...so I guess the PCs would want to buttonhole as many influential people as they can and say, "We've found "Banemaw"; it's mechanical. Come look for yourself."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hmm... you may be onto something there... That has the added benefit of meshing with the idea of lightning-powered 'engines' in her castle (mentioned in IoT and brought to my attention by DeepShadow). And coincidentally helping my clockmaker/gunsmith PC stay involved in the action.

It's a little on the steam-punk side for what's supposed to be a typical medieval domain, but it does solve a few problems for me. Question: why then didn't Sharon see said apparatus when she got back to her home village and met up with Elena and her men?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Maybe because she was looking for a dragon, not something that looked like an abandoned barrel? She could have ignored the thing entirely once she saw the wagon tracks.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

gonzoron wrote:Hmm... you may be onto something there... That has the added benefit of meshing with the idea of lightning-powered 'engines' in her castle (mentioned in IoT and brought to my attention by DeepShadow). And coincidentally helping my clockmaker/gunsmith PC stay involved in the action.

It's a little on the steam-punk side for what's supposed to be a typical medieval domain, but it does solve a few problems for me. Question: why then didn't Sharon see said apparatus when she got back to her home village and met up with Elena and her men?
Perhaps she did see it, and thought that Banemaw served Elena? Or perhaps she heard the villagers screaming, etc. and attacked Elena while the Apparatus was out of view (inside a church, behind houses, whatever)?

BTW, the Apparatus could be the "dragon's egg" when it's in barrel form...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sorry, I think you guys both misunderstood my last question. (Not your fault, my story's too complicated. ;) ) Sharon met up with Elena twice, once when her own village (Glenmurron) was destroyed, and once much later, after following the trail from Banemaw's cave. The second time was when she fought Elena and got sent to the dungeons, so it doesn't matter if she saw the apparatus then or not.

But the first time, she believed the story that Elena was too late to stop the dragon, and followed them back to Touraine. So if they had the apparatus with them, she would have seen it. And if it was inconspicuous enough in barrel form for her not to notice it, then isn't it inconspicuous enough not to need a cave to hide it in? If it truly folds up into a barrel, like the apparatus of Kwalish, Elena can just keep it at home. So I think for the lair idea to work, it's just gotta be a big, conspicuous clockwork dragon, no?

Perhaps by the time she arrived on the scene, one of Elena's men was already on his way back to the lair, piloting the beast?
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Destroy Elena's ability to continue the Banemaw charade? (I toyed with her having some kind of oil-pumping wagon that could spray down villages with oil before burning them. He could destroy that wagon, but big deal, she could just build another.)
I think this is the key way to knock the populence out of their Elena-loving haze. Personally, I think the most...satisfying way to do this would be to fake a Banemaw attack that Elena doesn't expect or...

...reveal that the Mists or Ebonbane have made Banemaw /real/. Lead the dragon to attack Elena while she's suppressing a villaige or leading a raid against the circle, and watch her get her ass kicked. This could lead to revolution...

...or it could lead to Ebonbane or Morogroth taking advantage of the chaos to make things /worse/, trying to sieze Nialdia for their own sinister plans. Turning things on a heel and having to save your enemy could be a facinating heroic choice, especially if you want to do a Shadowborne Manor dungeon run.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

gonzoron wrote:Perhaps by the time she arrived on the scene, one of Elena's men was already on his way back to the lair, piloting the beast?
Sure, that works.

It could be just too freakin' big to carry around unless it's moving itself, and too heavy to fly (telekinese, teleport)--so you can't transport it through Touraine because everyone will see it and know what's up. But when it's in its home out in the woods the driver instructs it to fold up, so it looks like a big ol' barrel--or a dragon egg--and doesn't give the game away immediately if someone stumbles across it.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks for the suggestion DocBeard, but I want to avoid creating a real Banemaw at all costs. Many people have suggested various ways of doing it, (see the Shadowlands adventure hook bank for some good ones), but I feel it cheapens the coolness of the dragon that doesn't exist.

In fact, the whole clockwork idea, (while it works very well for my plot), is borderline, IMHO. I'm not sure if it doesn't reduce the horror a bit to have the extra layer there between Elena and her crimes. Which is scarier/more gothic:

A ruler convinces her subjects that a real dragon is responsible for the the villages she destroyed and people she killed with a clockwork dragon.

or

A ruler convinces her subjects that a real dragon is responsible for the the villages she destroyed with torches and the people she and her men killed at swordpoint.

?

The latter seems more visceral and personal and evil to me.

The former... it's good, and I'll probably use it because it gives my PC's something tangible to put an end to... but is it perhaps too Scooby-Doo? :/
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

gonzoron wrote:Thanks for the suggestion DocBeard, but I want to avoid creating a real Banemaw at all costs. Many people have suggested various ways of doing it, (see the Shadowlands adventure hook bank for some good ones), but I feel it cheapens the coolness of the dragon that doesn't exist.

In fact, the whole clockwork idea, (while it works very well for my plot), is borderline, IMHO. I'm not sure if it doesn't reduce the horror a bit to have the extra layer there between Elena and her crimes. Which is scarier/more gothic:

A ruler convinces her subjects that a real dragon is responsible for the the villages she destroyed and people she killed with a clockwork dragon.

or

A ruler convinces her subjects that a real dragon is responsible for the the villages she destroyed with torches and the people she and her men killed at swordpoint.

?

The latter seems more visceral and personal and evil to me.

The former... it's good, and I'll probably use it because it gives my PC's something tangible to put an end to... but is it perhaps too Scooby-Doo? :/
I see your point. OTOH, the "clockwork dragon" does a much better job of explaining how she got away with blaming everything on Banemaw for so long--survivor's accounts, tracks, the whole bit.

And the two most horrible things are a) the destruction of the villages and b) the fact that their "protector" is responsible for it, which don't change either way.

Elena's not really a clockwork kind of girl, but perhaps you can lay it on the seneschal (from CotN:Demons); and after all, she does have all those engines and what-not running on lightning power in her castle, so this is a tie-in to that...
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Random bonus thought--if you do go with the clockwork dragon, can you tie it in with Vir Stannus or his creator? That might make a really nice congruence.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I agree with you that it's still wrong and evil, even with the clockwork dragon. Just as you said, not really her style.

Yeah, I considered tying the clockwork to Vir, but it's just too coincidental. Not every bit of clockwork in the world can be tied together. (I've already tread that line a bit closer than I like, and I'm already linking another PC to the Shadowlands as well. One more coincidence would be one too many.) I was thinking maybe a gnome in Elena's service.

you got my hope up there for a moment that more info on Theokos was in CotN:D. Alas, he's only in the BoS. (A good source, but one I knew about already.) But, he could definitely be involved... hmm... I wonder if magic is the way to go, rather than clockwork. Maybe a "gift" from Theokos: some magic item that creates an illusion of a dragon. Or something like a figurine. A large statue (requiring hiding in the cave) that grows into a dragon under her control?

The illusion idea solves my worry of it becoming impersonal. the illusion doesn't do anything other than frighten. Elena and her men would still have to do the dirty work. hmm....

Accepting the gift of a demon she is duped into trusting to be a good man, that's way more her style than commissioning clockwork horrors. No? (a one-line reference to lightning engines notwithstanding)
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

I am pro clockwork monsters.

It's giant. It's a robot. It's a monster. It's ironic. /All at once/. It's like the Rocky Road of encounters.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A wee bump. Any more thoughts on this? perhaps from some of our new members? (I don't mean to be a pain, I'm just desperate. :) )

I'm second-guessing the clockwork idea more and more... maybe I can combine it with the illusion idea. A magic/clockwork illusion projector? (Like a movie projector, just realistic to a degree that's impossible without magic.)
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

I think an illusion sounds pretty good. Also, you could tie this into Elena's lightning-powered engines, if you're using them.

Edit: whoops, I see that you are. Well, in that case, I think that some of those wagon might work as dragon-wagons: instead of just carrying stuff home, they carried dragon-simulating stuff to the villages--fire-spouting cannons and whatnot to make it appear there was a real dragon.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home