Stepford Wives in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote: 2) Pleasure golems. To give it a gothic twist, it's been suggested that one could "go bad." This has been done before--Season 5 of Buffy had a robot episode like this--but in having one go bad, you lose the horror that already exists when it's working just fine--objectification, simulated perfection, and the dehumanization of the opposite sex. In the Buffy episode, the horror is not the the robot goes berserk and hurts Warren's new girlfriend, but that Warren built himself a girlfriend in the first place.
This just reminded me of a very twisted, comedic, and bizarre movie I was made to watch in college called "Frankenhooker" in which a scientist preserves his dead wifes head in a special solution and then rebuilds her from the flesh of times square hookers. It was crude in the extreme. Not much intelectual humor there. I can't read this without it fixing in my head. I don't know if you should seethis movie or not, but you may well encounter gamers whe have if you run this scenario. Fair warning.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

For that matter, "Pleasure Golems" sound like something out of Undead Cabbage's Paradise Found web-comic.

Although presumably these versions wouldn't feed thugs' kidneys to their pet zombie vegetables... :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:For that matter, "Pleasure Golems" sound like something out of Undead Cabbage's Paradise Found web-comic.

Although presumably these versions wouldn't feed thugs' kidneys to their pet zombie vegetables... :wink:
I've never read the comic, but a stitched-together cadaver reanimated by a fire elemental spirit (to simulate heat and passion) does sound like it'd fit.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Yeah, I'm thinking Borcan nobility, a young couple forced into a loveless marriage, until the husband hears of a unique solution...

Perhaps if he still wants children, he can keep a young mistress hidden while his wife-golem simulates pregnancy using pillows. Hey, it worked for V.C. Andrews until she beat it to death. :lol:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:For that matter, "Pleasure Golems" sound like something out of Undead Cabbage's Paradise Found web-comic.

With the state of gardening in Ravenloft, I'd not be too surprised.

I'd actually rather set it somewhere in Mordent, or maybe Lamordia. In Dementlieu and Borca, PCs are conditioned to expect some kind of aristocratic intrigue. But the same situation in Mordent (or heck, Mordentshire), could make for interesting situations.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, it's possible to have it transcend a single domain. Mordentshire has been cultivated by Godefroy as a resort area in the hopes of getting ailing aristocrats from all over to die close to the HoGH. Surely it would expedite that plan if some of those aristocrats were murdered and replaced with alchemical replicants. This might actually give Godefroy a hold on the husband and/or the replacement.

If you're not inclined to suspect aristocratic intrigue in Mordent, how much less would you expect Godefroy to be at the bottom of a plot involving alchemical replicants?

It's even possible to implant some of Godefroy's servant spirits in the bodies of the alchemical children....
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I like the way you think....

He'd need an alchemist to do it though. Pity Mr. Emil Bollenbach is no longer among us.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Feh, Emil was never an alchemist. Godefroy's got the House, though, and the house has collected souls throughout the ages. I don't think it too big a stretch for a few of those souls to be Blackburn-Bruces, the greatest alchemists of their day. If just a few of them got their bodies back, well, there could be some serious blowblack, is all I'm saying.

All it would take is one Blackburn-Bruce with the Malevolence power, who could make alchemical children for his kin without the power, and eventually transfer himself into a permanent body. Matter of fact, that would allow the family to escape the House forever, because the vortex would no longer affect them. It would be hilarious for Godefroy to be a dupe in all of this, and the Blackburns to be the real cultprits.

I'll keep working on it.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Ghosts animating golems? You're beginning to scare me, DeepShadow. Do it again, do it again! :D It'd also be nice to see Godefroy get his snooty nose rubbed in the dirt by his own "slaves."
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

*reanimates thread*

Okay, we're going to see Blackburn-Bruce family members in Season 2 of Kara's Daughters, so I thought I'd dig up this thread and continue discussion where we left off.

Step 1: Godefroy fosters ideas of Mordent-resorts for the aging.
Step 2: He uses a BB-ghost to step up the collection process by killing and duplicating people.
Step 3: BB-ghost implants other BB ghosts in some bodies, to help them escape.
Step 4: The BB family rescues the creator-ghost, putting him in a body, and they all flee Mordentshire.
Step 5: The Core gets a resurgence of alchemy. :twisted:
whalejudge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by whalejudge »

How about Markovia? The wizard does a deal with Diosamblet to establish a tropical resort and the wives (or husbands--the wizard might do both to increase profits) are turned over to the darklord for HIS experiments while the replacement goes home with her/his spouse.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Or you could use Dominia, and instead of golems Domini just sort of 'adjusts' their way of thinking. Might be a better place for a resort, though I like the idea of a hunting resort being sponsored by Markov as a ready source of experiment subjects and a training field.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I think I want to get into spiritual splittng, a la real-world voodoo, where you can take only part of a person's soul, and leave the rest. RL parallels exist in Ghastria, and in Nova Vaasa with the color-coded bits of soul for the mummy in The Awakening. Something like that: the golem gets all the dead person's memories, but has no self-will.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

You know all this discussion about Mordentshire and body swapping to golems has gotten me thinking that the Apparatus could be involved here again!!! Seems like a fairly logical tie in and as an adventure hook it gives the players a reason to confront Godefroy to perhaps fix such a transference if the original body is found. If you wish Godefroy may be able to use it to escape at least the house but most likely not the domain and perhaps only temporarily. The other alternative is that he cannot benefit at all and when he finds out that he himself cannot benefit from the Apparatus directly once past his rage he may find some use for it. As it gives the ghosts of his house some sort of way to escape or perhaps try and bargain for a new body there is potential. This can be great for deals with hades type things where a new body must be found for a soul trapped in the house and payment rendered to Godefroy. Also by attracting more interesting or less broken spirits for Godefroy he may let the broken toys he no longer cares for leave in the body in exchange.
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Suvie
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re:

Post by Suvie »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:*reanimates thread*

Okay, we're going to see Blackburn-Bruce family members in Season 2 of Kara's Daughters, so I thought I'd dig up this thread and continue discussion where we left off.

Step 1: Godefroy fosters ideas of Mordent-resorts for the aging.
Step 2: He uses a BB-ghost to step up the collection process by killing and duplicating people.
Step 3: BB-ghost implants other BB ghosts in some bodies, to help them escape.
Step 4: The BB family rescues the creator-ghost, putting him in a body, and they all flee Mordentshire.
Step 5: The Core gets a resurgence of alchemy. :twisted:
*re-reanimates thread*

Just call me Herbert West

I would like to know how this worked out for you. I saw this discussion years back, and it was one of the things that convinced my GF and I to try a Ravenloft game. We may include some of your Stepford-bots in our adventures.