Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

My initial sketch of the Red Jack

A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

The Mirror of Unseason, The Court of the Fool are great and the addition of the The Fey-Spawn raises the possibility for a children of the corn esque sort of scenario in that the children take over the town and begin trying to serve thier fathers interests...

And nice picture Kaito Kage... :D From the eye count it must be on a female victim next?
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Yes indeed! And it's still early in the week :D I figured a close-up of his face would be more intimidating in this case.

Here's one of my creations, Onryo-bi, the Revenge-Fey.

NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

*wild applause*

Very nice! Very nice! By my estimate, this means we have one colored piece (Elegist) and three sketches (Onryo-Bi, Red Jack, and Linnorm), unless I'm missing someone. So far, so good.

I'm going to be starting up a Community Projects thread to keep everyone on the same page.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 193#103193 - Ta da!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by The_Confessor »

I've spent the past hour marveling at this thread. Please, keep it up. Please, compile it into a book. This is amazing writing. I'm reading it not only for Ravenloft, but also for Changeling: The Lost.

Again, great stuff.
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Heh. The irony is that a good few of these Faerie are pretty directly inspired by Changeling: The Lost. The Linnorm of Ashmore Park is, visually at least, greatly inspired by the Chimera hobgoblin out of the Equinox Road, while King Hob and his goblins grew out of the Hobs in Autumn Nightmares.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I wish you luck creating this netbook- this thread has already made me reconsider using fey in my games!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

If anything, this thread goes to show that with just a little bit of attention, you can make what was perceived as mundane or overlooked into something truly fascinating and absolutely exciting.
This thread has pretty much been on fire since it started. Great job!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I'm toying with the MM (a way to get players information about the identity of a fey who owns a human soul).

What if, in the busy market place, you only meet a merchant / stall / tent only once per visit? You can pass by, and find it back, but if you enter a stall, that's it for the night.

When you try to get back to that specific merchant, you can't find him, as you are disoriented. You have to get another invitation to get back to the MM.

Unless, you pay someone as a guide or to find it for you.

Ideas?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well, why do something like this? To force the PCs to come back?

Given that the Market is meant to be a place for merchant-Fey to congregate under the protection of a bigger Fey, it seems like an odd restriction.
Joël of the FoS

Mmmm, I thought it would be a cool DM tool for role play in the MM, as well as adding another eerie side to it.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Another question, I may have missed the answer:

They enter through a Door, to the parlor. After the donation, Door opens to the MM.

And how do they exit? Is the Door standing in the MM?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Hum. Something that hadn't really been covered to my knowledge. I would assume that from the Market-side, the Door would look like it led into a specific building. Likely one that is marked or otherwise somewhat prominent, both by the inherent nature of the Domain (it's the only way in or out), and by the people there (it's a market, after all. Turf near the entrance is more desirable).

So, say, Market-side, the entrance takes the place of the entryway to a large and impressive-looking government building, a City Hall (still bleak and rainy, mind you).

Strictly speaking, it's possible to live in the Midnight Market full time. Some of the Faerie or undead do so. Others stay there for a few days, then return to their lairs in the main realm (it's hard for mortals to stay at the Market long since few people bring in food and drink).

As far as the guide idea goes, I imagine if you work if you treat the Market as more mystical and eerie than the write up has it. As is, the Market is certainly creepy, but it's also a place for very odd merchants to sell stuff to PCs. If you tone down the mercantile aspect and tone up the eerie aspect, then the guide would be an extremely good idea (Greysilk could make for a nifty guide).
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

NeoTiamat wrote:Zerachiel Those who see this beautiful figure think him one of the Faerie, or at the least one of the children of the Night. A tall, willowy man with golden-blond hair, Zerachiel conducts his business in the market with face concealed beneath an ivory half-mask, a vision almost angelic.

In truth, Simon Dupree is quite mortal. He is also a monster greater than most in the Market.

Ever since his first visit to the Midnight Market, Simon saw a niche for himself. So much in the Market can be bought with human lives, with human souls, with blood and pain and whispers and tears. But not all creatures wish to go to the hassle of kidnapping a mortal merely to hire the services of Conall, or care to drain themselves of blood (if they even possess blood any longer) just to purchase from the Clan Karkar.

Simon makes it so that they don't need to, for Simon, you see, is a slaver. Traveling through the sunlit realms, the beautiful Richemuloise man places himself as honeyed bait, pretending to be a merchant traveling upon business (which, in truth, he is). To his elders, Simon is a studious young man of business, eager to learn. To his fellows, Simon is the dashing traveler, carrying just a hint of exotic danger about him to heighten the allure. To children, Simon is kind and attentive, always ready with a helping hand and a kind word. And when the time is ripe, when he lures his victim to a secluded spot with soft words and sweet looks, he strikes. A stab of the syringe, the clink of the manacles, and then through the Gateway to the Midnight Market, to await the buyers with their soft gold and bright silver.

As for what happens while his prisoners are in his care... very few of the denizens of the Midnight Market care whether or not their victims are in pristine condition when bought.
Rereading the MM for upcoming game, and it hit me: anyone else think Simon here was the inspiration for a certain bogeyman who lives at the end of the White Road?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

You know, I had not thought of that, but it certainly fits. :D