Drawing a Map

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Drawing a Map

Post by Jester of the FoS »

brothersale wrote:You have not included Ghastria beneath Mordent running south to Valachan which was part of the Core prior to the Grand Conjunction.
I do not believe that was ever on the maps. It was more of a retcon IIRC, explaining the superflous unclaimed land on the map that was likely Modent until the cartographer missed when making the borders.
brothersale wrote:Also Daglan is also missing, however that domain was not part of the Core for long.
I could do a "Daglan" variant, but it seems unneeded. It wasn't around for long.
brothersale wrote:And I have also noticed that you will need to remove the Great Chasm from Sithicus, as it did not exist untill after the event of When the Black Rose Blooms
IIRC the Chasm was already there and just got larger during Specter of the Black Rose. I believe it was present during the Soth adventure When the Black Rose Blooms but I'll have to check.
brothersale wrote:and you have not place a name on Arak and Dorvina and created a new domain out of the top of Nightmare Lands.
Those were missed, Dorvinia especially.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Soth's keep was surrounded by a great chasm (kind of up on a spire or jut like Castle Ravenloft), but I am not sure if the keep itself survived the Sithican 'transition' which seems not very likely.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Jester of the FoS

Checking and When the Black Roses Bloom (the Soth adventure) did indeed include "The Great Chasm" and implies the Chasm was always there. So it stays.
Jester of the FoS

Okay, the two versions:

and:

Looked to [i}Circle of Darkness[/i] for some extra G'henna names and decided to add the Nightmare Lands details after all.
Jander Sunstar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jander Sunstar »

This has more than met my expectations and I applaud and thank you Jester. But, there is one small blemish in your masterpeice of cartography. The black box states that the circle resides in the middle of Verbrek, and you have the Circle residing in Arkandale. Other than that, you have done a phenominal job and I thank you once again.
Jester of the FoS

Jander Sunstar wrote:This has more than met my expectations and I applaud and thank you Jester. But, there is one small blemish in your masterpeice of cartography. The black box states that the circle resides in the middle of Verbrek, and you have the Circle residing in Arkandale. Other than that, you have done a phenominal job and I thank you once again.
Thanks.

The location of the Circle is one of the quirks that comes up when comparing maps. The Circle in the Post-Conjunction era is totally in Arkandale. (It's actually crept North more and more).
So either it shifted super north following the conjunction, or I need to move it south in both maps. Ugh.

There's another possible ideas. Perhaps the original Circle was in Arkandale and that inspired Timothy. Then the Mists recreated it in Verbrek, so Tim abandoned his old holy site come amalgamation. Which would add another locale to Verbrek, but would always be of dubious canonicity.
Jester of the FoS

Final draft has been delayed due to extra work required.

I'm moving the Circle south in both maps. It makes the most sense (although it contradicts the narrative descriptions in the Gazetteer). Having it move makes less sense.

I noticed a river that is in the Black Box but was omitted from the Red Box and my maps. So that needs to be worked into both maps.

And just when I thought I was done I noticed a typo. Oops.
Jester of the FoS

Done. I hope.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I'll say something that has nothing to do with your work Jester:
I don't like the pre-GC configuration. Actually I don't like the pre-Requiem configuration.

Congratulations for the map Jester, but seeing it, I understand why the said "wooopsy! Time for an upheaval"
The Nightmare lands, Arak and Bluetspur really have little to do with the Core. Markovia just a step below. Dorvinia and Gundarak seem to work better as part of their new domains.

I would go as far as to say that I would prefer Arkandale in (where Markovia was) and Kartakas as island. That winter domain with the werewolf, would also IMO be nice above Darkon. And I don't like the Shadow-rift in the core either.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:I'll say something that has nothing to do with your work Jester:
I don't like the pre-GC configuration. Actually I don't like the pre-Requiem configuration.

Congratulations for the map Jester, but seeing it, I understand why the said "wooopsy! Time for an upheaval"
The Nightmare lands, Arak and Bluetspur really have little to do with the Core. Markovia just a step below. Dorvinia and Gundarak seem to work better as part of their new domains.

I would go as far as to say that I would prefer Arkandale in (where Markovia was) and Kartakas as island. That winter domain with the werewolf, would also IMO be nice above Darkon. And I don't like the Shadow-rift in the core either.
I did it because of a request. Someone wanted it, it seemed easy enough, so I obliged.
And because I started mapping because I thought there were a dearth of adequate Pre-GC maps. Only to stop working on it...
And because now it'll be much easier for me to do G'henna as an Island of Terror since I can just cut-and-paste the assets.

I imagine I could do a "Filled Shadow Rift" variant for people who want that sort of thing.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

No, no, don't get me wrong! I don't mean to under-value your work or sneer on people that like the pre-conjuction map!
I'm just saying that I would never use such a configuration even in pre-conjuction games.

And fill the Shadow rift... with what? That would be interesting.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:And fill the Shadow rift... with what? That would be interesting.
Likely some generic mountains, forests, and rivers that people can make their own.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

No domain?
Well... perhaps extending Tepest down?
My DMGuild work!
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

These maps are gorgeous! I wish I had half this ability with Photoshop. I'm not currently running Ravenloft, though I'm planning a Savage Worlds version, so this is still really great to see. It's been a while since I've been in the community, but it's nice to know that it's still going strong. =)
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Jester of the FoS

I decided to force Ustalav from Pathfinder's Golarion into the space left by the Shadow Rift:

Cities listed are most of the sites from the Carrion Crown AP.