Drawing a Map

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Drawing a Map

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Have you checked Joel's "Companion Atlas to the Gazetteers"? The homework's mostly been done already...

http://fraternityofshadows.com/Mausoleu ... tteers.pdf
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seem good!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I'm still impressed. It looks great.

The island of Demise is it's own domain, so you should put a border around it. You could also put Castle Island as a site in Tepest (the same way you've done the House of Lament).
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Looking through the Companion Atlas, something I really should add are Mistways.
Ryan Naylor wrote:The island of Demise is it's own domain, so you should put a border around it.
I've mused about this. It's lord is kinda, sorta a darklord, but it could also be argued that she's just a monster with a lair. Or that her domain is a small pocket domain. Either way it seems so small that I'm hesitant to throw a big full Domain naming and borders.
Maybe I should have a smaller font for the lesser island domains. It might work nicely with the seas. And Forlorn.
Ryan Naylor wrote:You could also put Castle Island as a site in Tepest (the same way you've done the House of Lament).
The sole reason is the little location dot is larger than the lake. I've been toying with adding some land while expanding the lake. It's just a little tight for space in Tepest.
Jester of the FoS

Tweaked Demise but didn't add a border. Oops. Mistways added but missed one. Think I need to do some playing with the Mists anyway, the edges are too sharp and distinct. Added Castle Island and enlarged the lake, but think the island needs to be a tad larger.

Been scanning adventures for final details.
I think I should also de-green the edges of Markovia. It needs some extra details, so I'll have to hit Neither Man Nor Beast to pull some extra names. I seem to recall a bay.
I also missed the chasm Nedragaard keep in inside. I initially didn't draw or mention the chasm to make the map usable before and after Soth's fall, but scanning When the Black Rose Blooms, the castle was always by a chasm.
Frustratingly, I also just checked Adam's Wrath and found I swapped the Monastery and Abandoned Estate needlessly. The location of the Abandoned Estate seems to bounce around depending on the map, never being the same place twice. Which is silly given how unimportant it is. Was anything every written on it?
And The Evil Eye seems to double the towns in Invidia and Verbrek. Thankfully, most of them were already added to my map, but a couple locations seem to shift. Haven't decided if I'll move Fylfot and Beltis or add the extra Verbrek hamlet.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Not that you need or want to, but perhaps for the really small locations, create inset maps to the left and right side of the main map (small maps of just the mini-domains, or major locations - castles, etc. as individual cells, perhaps a verticle alignment of 5 such domains on each side.) Give numbered locations or different colored font or different font.

Just an idea.
Jester of the FoS

MichaelTumey wrote:Not that you need or want to, but perhaps for the really small locations, create inset maps to the left and right side of the main map (small maps of just the mini-domains, or major locations - castles, etc. as individual cells, perhaps a verticle alignment of 5 such domains on each side.) Give numbered locations or different colored font or different font.

Just an idea.
Well, at the size the map is (almost poster map sized at 31.5" x 19.7") I could easily do individual domains extremely zoomed in.

And for Gonzoron:
http://www.box.net/shared/uom85nez7nc3c5n9gnmq
or
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:And for Gonzoron:
:mrgreen: perfect.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Minor quibble: The Village of Barovia is north of the River Ivlis, not south of it.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think we should host that map in the site.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:I think we should host that map in the site.
I can't imagine Jester having a problem with that... Just let us know when it's "Done" to your satisfaction, Jester, and I'll get into the Portrait Hall, as well as the "The Core" page on Mistipedia.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That's a great map, good work Jester :) Great additions, the mistways.

I agree we should host this gem, and perhaps make a map section for all the geographical ressources we have (FoS report maps, and all fan made stuff we have).

It will however change a bit when we had the SoS locations (Blaustein now has a town, Raïs).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:I agree we should host this gem, and perhaps make a map section for all the geographical ressources we have (FoS report maps, and all fan made stuff we have).
Yes, I plan on spawning a Map Room out of the Portrait Hall when I have a chance. there was some confusion with people thinking the portrait hall was just for portraits.
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:I think we should host that map in the site.
I was going to ask when I think it's done. It's close, but still likely errors to catch. Such as:
Bluebomber4evr wrote:Minor quibble: The Village of Barovia is north of the River Ivlis, not south of it.
I'll check my maps and fix if needed. I've moved a few cities back to old locations.

I recently tweaked the downloadable ones, modt notably adding a drop shadow to the red-bordered map. Makes the borders pop a little more.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Isn't it the Isle of Ravens, not the Isle of *the* Ravens?