Crowd-sourcing a Cluster

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Crowd-sourcing a Cluster

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The Fraternity of Shadows is launching a new community project.
The goal of this project is to add adventure hooks and content for the 4th Edition domains published in Dragon and Dungeon magazine, as well as creating new domains to hopefully one day rival those of the Core.

This project is based around "the Hub", a large cluster of diverse domains, which serves as a second Core deep in the Mists.

This project makes use of the Ravenloft Mistipedia, run by the FoS and is located here:

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/The_Hub

The Rules of the Project
1. Add to the established domains. We would prefer to have fewer well-detailed domains rather than dozens of sparsely described lands. Feel free to add people, places, and hooks as well as expanding on the existing content.
2. Add and try not to replace or revise. Try not to erase someone else's ideas. While not every idea is gold, try and make them work before revising or altering.
3. Add the best, not the most. Add your best ideas first, your A-material. Don't add extra content just to add extra content, and don't feel the need to write as much as possible just to fill gaps. Something someone else writes might inspire you later, and you can always add more.
4. Be creative. Seriously. Wow us.

FAQ
What is this?
We're making new domains and expanding on seldom-touched domains.

Who can participate?
Anyone and everyone. Well... anyone and everyone who likes Ravenloft and has a rudimentary understanding of English.

Why do this?
Partly to add some new places and stories to Ravenloft, partly to draw attention to the Mistipedia, and partly to do something (anything) with the 4e domains. (Plus it's fun! Do we need more of a reason?)

Can I add my homebrew domain/ darklord?
Not at this time. We're focusing on already published domains, either official or created by the Fraternity of Shadows. When we expand into brand new domains these will likely be additional creations of the Fraternity. We might eventually hold open calls or add polls for more domains, but this will be much later.

Why did you induce "domain X" instead of "domain y?
Domain selection was based on one of three criteria: 1) publication in the online Dragon magazine 2) featuring a campaign setting not featured yet 3) does something different with its darklord

Could you include "domain Z"?
If there's a really cool fan domain that wows us, has a unique hook, and could be expanded on we'll consider it.
However, the author has to be on board with the idea and excited about letting strangers play with his toys.

Can I add my homebrew domain, if I change it into a generic location with a villain instead of a darklord?
If it works as a location. Lands that are a one-note idea might work better as a location than a tiny Island of Terror. An adventure hook rather than a full land.

My awesome idea doesn't fit the lands. Should I add it anyway or change it to make it fit?
We would prefer ideas fit and complement the lands. Not every idea has to fit perfectly, as there should be some variation in the lands, but don't try and squeeze an idea into a land not suited for it. If you want to change or tweak your idea that's fine, or you can wait and see if a future land fits better.
Alternatively, you can add your idea to any other domain as long as you mark it as homebrew content.

Why does it say "more to come?"
We're not starting with all our ideas at once, and instead we will be tricking out content over the next few months. This is partly so we can establish and fine-tune the basics before releasing the content, and partly to not overwhelm people at the start. We want people to focus on what we have first before expanding.
If the current domains do not inspire stay tuned and more will come; maybe the next land will get your creative juices flowing.

How much experience is required? I want to participate, but I don't know how to use a wiki.
It's easy. When editing a page (see the tabs at the top of the window) there are buttons that help with formatting. If you can write on a Message Board you can write for a Wiki. The site itself has some examples in the Help section. And other helpful contributors can always come along and fix your formatting later.

For information of editing Mistipedia pages refer to the below:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Help:Contents

Jester of the FoS

Re: Crowd-sourcing a Cluster

Feel free to post comments and questions here, or on the mirror thread on the Community Projects forum.

The Domains

Chelleaux
Brand new!
The land of Chelleaux is in open revolution, bloody civil unrest as corrupt aristocrats and officials are sent to the Guillotine.
While on the wiki we can't openly say this is the Pathfinder world of Golarion's contribution to Ravenloft... this is Golarion's contribution to Ravenloft.
Possible Ideas
* The equivalent of the Pathfinder society? Perhaps being taken over by the Fraternity (or a rival of the FoS).
* Add a dash of the Chelliax devil worshipping? Making it more of a combination of Chelliax and Galt.

Fallaya Basin
Brand new!
Warm swampland filled with rivers and lakes. The population is isolated, rural, and inbred.

Giddim
Brand new!
A rural land gripped by fear. While the folk are deeply religious, the folks work about evil. And evil which could be inside anyone.
Possible Ideas
* A corrupt member of the clergy, wandering the land for his own motives. Ravenloft lacks a Big Name Sinister Minister.

Graefmotte
From Dragon magazine #375

Histaven
The Free RPG Day 2011 product.

Monadhan
From Dragon #378

Mourning Pyre
Brand New!
A wasteland filled with the walking dead. The living survivors struggle to survive, looking for food and supplied while worrying about other survivors as much as the undead.
This is also the Eberron domain, pulling from a dash of the Mourning Land. It has the magical technology standard to Khorvaire but it has fallen into disrepair.

Sunderheart
From Dragon #368
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

I actually very much want to add to this! This is a great idea, and I love being able to save some of the material made for 4e and other places.

My largest concern is I cannot see the original source for these. Where can I find the original sources so I can then help flesh things out? I LOVE Fallaya Basin, and I plan to use it in a future campaign, so I have lots of ideas I wish to sprinkle through and flesh out for the wiki.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Deewun wrote:My largest concern is I cannot see the original source for these. Where can I find the original sources so I can then help flesh things out? I LOVE Fallaya Basin, and I plan to use it in a future campaign, so I have lots of ideas I wish to sprinkle through and flesh out for the wiki.
That's the point. THIS is the original source for Fallaya Basin. Add as you please. :)

Al Kathos is from Tales of Ravenloft
Graefmotte, Monadhan, & Sunderheart are from Dragon Magazine
Histaven is from the "Free RPG Day" supplement of the same name.

The rest are new for this project. The rough sketch you see so far is by Jester. The rest is for everyone to fill in.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

I've been meaning to do a little more pimping but the last week and change I've been a stay-at-home daddy with little free time.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:That's the point. THIS is the original source for Fallaya Basin. Add as you please. :)

Al Kathos is from Tales of Ravenloft
Graefmotte, Monadhan, & Sunderheart are from Dragon Magazine
Histaven is from the "Free RPG Day" supplement of the same name.

The rest are new for this project. The rough sketch you see so far is by Jester. The rest is for everyone to fill in.
Ahh, I didn't know that it had no source beyond itself! Well huzzah, I'll get crackin' on some Fallaya Basin stuff and anything else that flows my creative juices.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

I've started to delve into Fallaya Basin. I love this place! Helps that I'm a huge Swamp Thing/Man Thing lover.
Jester of the FoS

Sources now clarified in the second post.

I've heard many of the original Ravenloft domains being described as ____lands, ala Disneyland where there is "Adventureland", "Frontierland", "Fantasyland, etc. So Mordent is "Ghostland", Verbrek is "Werewolfland", Lamordia is "Frankensteinland", etc.

Basically, Chelleaux is "French Revolution-land", Fallaya Basin is "swamp monster land" (literally), Giddim is "demon possession land" and Mourning Pyre is "zombieland".

Have at 'em.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:While on the wiki we can't openly say this is the Pathfinder world of Golarion's contribution to Ravenloft...
I don't see why we can't. Our legal standing with respect to Paizo is no different than our legal standing with respect to WotC. I don't think we have any more or less right to use Eberron IP than to use Golarion IP, for example. This is all fan-made homebrew stuff based on published settings. It's a murky grey area legally, but it's the murky grey area this site lives in every day, no? :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:While on the wiki we can't openly say this is the Pathfinder world of Golarion's contribution to Ravenloft...
I don't see why we can't. Our legal standing with respect to Paizo is no different than our legal standing with respect to WotC. I don't think we have any more or less right to use Eberron IP than to use Golarion IP, for example. This is all fan-made homebrew stuff based on published settings. It's a murky grey area legally, but it's the murky grey area this site lives in every day, no? :)
It's more that we live by the graces of WotC and don't want to openly reference their competitor.
I noticed a lack of a revolutionary France analoge a while back, so
I suggested the Reign of Terror domain for that reason. Tying it to Galt is just the icing on the cake.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:It's more that we live by the graces of WotC and don't want to openly reference their competitor.
I guess I see that, but we talk about Pathfinder all the time here on the forums. Some of the netbooks reference PF rules. And Gothic Earth Eternal has been announced as pathfinder based.
I don't think a small reference buried in the wiki is going to hurt, really.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey, Frat-Boys!

I am Rafe, I got kicked in the head just one time too many, and I would like to know what "crowdsourcing" means in this context! :)
That means that everybody can chime in with ideas, right? :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I'm not, I admit, the most tech-savvy guy. How exactly do I go about adding to this? Do I send material to someone for approval, or is there another process? I know that seems like a really stupid question, but I honestly don't know.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jimsolo wrote:I'm not, I admit, the most tech-savvy guy. How exactly do I go about adding to this? Do I send material to someone for approval, or is there another process? I know that seems like a really stupid question, but I honestly don't know.
There are no stupid questions. Relax, we're here to help. If you are tech-savvy enough to register and post here as you have, you are tech-savvy enough to contribute to The Hub project. It's a very similar process.

Step 1:
Click on this link:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/w/index. ... =Main_Page
and fill out the form to get yourself an account on Mistipedia.

Step 2:
Click on this link:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/The_Hub

Follow links until you find some part of the cluster that you'd like to contribute to.

Step 3:
Click the "Edit" button at the top of the page you want to add to. (if you don't see it, make sure you're logged in)

Step 4:
Add your stuff and hit submit!

No one needs to approve anything (that's the wiki way). But we'd appreciate if you adhere to the guidelines here:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki ... Guidelines
as well as the rules and FAQ specific to The Hub in the first post this thread.

If you run into trouble with formatting, check this page:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Help:Contents

And if you have questions, post them on the forum or the relevant "discussion" page on the wiki.
For Hub-specific questions, you can post in this thread.
For general Mistipedia questions, post here:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=6837

Hope that's clear. Enjoy!