Is Sithicus/Nuitari broken?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Is Sithicus/Nuitari broken?

Post by jamesfirecat »

I just realized something... Nuitari the dark Moon of Sithicus is like, wow the only thing in Ravenloft that actually honestly works to verify people's alignment on the good/evil axis, or at the very least will separate the neutral/good who can't see it from the evil who can.

Granted you then have to find a way to figure out if someone is telling the truth or not about being able to see the moon or not, and dragging them all the way to Sithicus is a task and a half... and it's not exactly the most obvious thing that a random person is going to know (most of the elves probably just assume that Sithicus has no moon) but still, Soth doubtlessly knows/knew (he knew how Nuitari worked back on Krynn and the version of it in Sithicus doesn't differ much) so how many people did he tell, and who might they have told in turn?

As I recall with Inza taking over the domain got a more normal moon, but as I recal it is a normal moon in addition (if its gone completely then so much the better but I don't think it is...) to Nuitari.

So yeah, am I wrong, or is Nuitari actually a perfectly functional way to detect evil in Ravenloft where just about every other possible way doesn't work?
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Is Sithicus/Nuitari broken?

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Nuitari isn't gone, but to alignment-specific characters it looks like a "rosette" or something. It doesn't necessarily reveal an alignment, it just looks that way to those characters.

And people who can see the rosette can simply lie about it, given the problem with divination in this world.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Especially for those who are either: A) natives of Sithicus who are aware of the 'manifestation' or B) those with the knowledge about the odd 'manifestation' in the skies of the nearby lands and maybe its connotation as well.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, in keeping with the domains theme of self-reflection and guilt, I think Nuitari's fine as is, and that only the person viewing it would know for sure if they can see it. The usual prohibition on mortal magic divining alignment would shift in this case to blocking divination of the truth. Your detect lies won't tell you if someone really sees it or not. If you somehow can see through their eyes, you see it or not based on your own alignment. etc.

I suppose if a group of evil people wanted to check that someone was evil (and that person wanted in the group, so was willing to volunteer the info), they could have them point out where it is with a sextant or something to prove their evilness. But even then, there's no proof it's not a lucky guess. Better to go with the standard proof: kill this captive in cold blood, please.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yeah, in keeping with the domains theme of self-reflection and guilt, I think Nuitari's fine as is, and that only the person viewing it would know for sure if they can see it. The usual prohibition on mortal magic divining alignment would shift in this case to blocking divination of the truth. Your detect lies won't tell you if someone really sees it or not. If you somehow can see through their eyes, you see it or not based on your own alignment. etc.

I suppose if a group of evil people wanted to check that someone was evil (and that person wanted in the group, so was willing to volunteer the info), they could have them point out where it is with a sextant or something to prove their evilness. But even then, there's no proof it's not a lucky guess. Better to go with the standard proof: kill this captive in cold blood, please.
Even then they might not determine that with killing the captive. 'Trickery' on killing said person and/or killing them 'for the greater good' might come into play then. :) Of course that's a slippery slope anyways.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Killing a person in cold blood for the "greater good" of joining an evil organization, even to harm them from the inside is a very evil act. And speaking of evil organizations... they don't care about your alignment since that's game mechanics.
If you're willing to kill an innocent that looks at you while gagged with fear in zir eyes, begging for zir life with his gaze... you're good-to-go for the Kargat\FoS.

Also: Ravenloft prohibits alignment to be detected with magic. If you spend 2 days talking about morals and ethos with a person, you'll have a pretty good idea whether they're good or evil.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Killing a person in cold blood for the "greater good" of joining an evil organization, even to harm them from the inside is a very evil act. And speaking of evil organizations... they don't care about your alignment since that's game mechanics.
If you're willing to kill an innocent that looks at you while gagged with fear in zir eyes, begging for zir life with his gaze... you're good-to-go for the Kargat\FoS.

Also: Ravenloft prohibits alignment to be detected with magic. If you spend 2 days talking about morals and ethos with a person, you'll have a pretty good idea whether they're good or evil.
Though again for all you know this isn't an innocent man/woman who may have commited a crime. I'm sure the Kargat/FoS wouldn't tell you one way or another, but it's alot easier to pull someone no one would care about off the streets or a petty thief, or with organizations like the Kargat Criminals(most likely evil). But yeah that was the situation I was implying. Join the Evil to either Curve or destroy from within. In Ravenloft it's highly unlikely one would achieve such a goal I think but got to keep the hopes up! XD

Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

On a possibly unrelated topic, I just found out that I have these darklord smileys hiding in my Photobucket account!

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Awesome!

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:On a possibly unrelated topic, I just found out that I have these darklord smileys hiding in my Photobucket account!

Nice! permission to add them to our collection?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:On a possibly unrelated topic, I just found out that I have these darklord smileys hiding in my Photobucket account!

Is the green color of Inza's scarf just because it matches her eyes or is it actually canon someplace? (Checking my version of Gazetteer IV and can't find it, asking because I was planning on doing some stuff involving Inza before too long and am curious.)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Nice! permission to add them to our collection?
As long as credit is clear, sure.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:As long as credit is clear, sure.
Finally figured out how to add a credit in the smiley box, so now they are up! Thanks, Dion! (Any more lying around?)
:3hags: