NPC Index

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: NPC Index

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Band2 wrote:There are a number of people who are talked about but no name is given for them. Some of these I have tried to name as best I could, even if it is just a nickname. For example, in Children of the Night: Created, the creator of the transient golem is never named. But it is stated that he was a wizard, and the characters may need to find his laboratory to research the golem. So far I refer to him as only, “Creator of the Transient Golem.” How is that? Any other suggestions for a name? Should he be removed because he is never identified? I will have more of these nicknamed ones I will post to get feedback on as I go through the list.
That name is good, and it should be in the list, as long as there is another info that goes with it (in this case, wizard + domain).

Good job :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: According to Mistipedia, the Burgomeister is infected, by his wife. I assume that's supported by the CotN text somewhere.
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Bur ... r_Borganov
I did not find anything specific in CotN:W stated if the Burgomeister is or is not. I had the impression from the adventure that while all of the villagers were part of the cult, not all of them were wererays. If most people are assuming he is a wereray, I have not problem listing him as such.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Another question. Here is the list of fan made/ internet material I included on the index. Are there any more suggestions for fan made Ravenloft material that anyone thinks is essential? Joel's definitive 3e RL Monster Catalogue, with its Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror? Rucht Lilavivat's Child of the House adventure?

QTR 1
QTR 2
QTR 3
QTR 4
QTR 5
QTR 6
QTR 7
QTR 8
QTR 9
QTR 10
QTR 11
QTR 12
QTR 13
QTR 14
QTR 15
QTR 16
QTR 17
QTR 18
QTR 19
QTR 20

USS1
USS2
USS3

Ashen- The Ancient Dead (Midway Haven)

The Book of Souls
The Book of Secrets
The Book of Sacrifices
The Book of Shadows
The Book of Sorrows

Nocturnal Sea FoS Report
Zherisia FoS Report
Souragne FoS Report

Doppelgangers Guide

Shadow of the Knife
Death Undaunted
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

From the Kargatane:
The Forgotten Children
CotN: Demons
Crossroads of Gothic Earth

Also, Midway Haven has a lot more than 1 book. Dion can probably give you a list if you want all of them.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:From the Kargatane:
The Forgotten Children
CotN: Demons
Crossroads of Gothic Earth

Also, Midway Haven has a lot more than 1 book. Dion can probably give you a list if you want all of them.
I am not sure how it was left off the list, but Forgotten Children is included already. So is CotN: Demons, I just have it on my official list.
I am leaving out Crossroads since my project does not include Gothic Earth.

Not sure about the Midway Haven books. I may not be familiar with all of them. I remember one about new domains, but I have excluded fan-made domains from my index.

Also, on Borganov the adventure does describe him as appearing sickly with greyish skin, which seems to be an indicator of wererays, so I will consider that confirmation that he is a wereray.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Here are some more questions.

In Circle of Darkness, the poster has a small mention of the Devourer of Song, the Silence that eats sound and instills madness. Unless anyone knows if this creature was mentioned somewhere else I am going to list its race as unknown.

The nightmare court - For their race, I am trying to come up with something generic enough to use for all the members of the nightmare court. Any suggestions?

Tsien Chiang's race is given as human in a couple of sources. Should she still be considered human or is she something else?

Daglan Daegon, the potential darklord from Feast of Goblyns. Any suggestions for his race? Trapped in the crown should he be considered a spirit? Is he a undead or still alive?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Band2 wrote:In Circle of Darkness, the poster has a small mention of the Devourer of Song, the Silence that eats sound and instills madness. Unless anyone knows if this creature was mentioned somewhere else I am going to list its race as unknown.
I'm pretty sure it's not mentioned elsewhere. It's not in Mistipedia, and I don't even remember it.
Band2 wrote:The nightmare court - For their race, I am trying to come up with something generic enough to use for all the members of the nightmare court. Any suggestions?
I'd be hesitant to pin them down to one, since they are so unique and so many people have gone in different directions with their origins.
Band2 wrote:Tsien Chiang's race is given as human in a couple of sources. Should she still be considered human or is she something else?
I don't know of any reason why she wouldn't be considered human.
Band2 wrote:Daglan Daegon, the potential darklord from Feast of Goblyns. Any suggestions for his race? Trapped in the crown should he be considered a spirit? Is he a undead or still alive?
Well, his descendant, Radaga was human, and he appears relatively human in his picture in the module. He's in the same sort of spirit stasis as the target of a magic jar spell. I would argue that this doesn't change his race.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Thanks for the answers Gonzoron.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Band2 wrote:The nightmare court - For their race, I am trying to come up with something generic enough to use for all the members of the nightmare court. Any suggestions?
I'd be hesitant to pin them down to one, since they are so unique and so many people have gone in different directions with their origins.
I am just looking for something generic. Maybe something like dream creature or Nightmare Court Member.

Now some questions from the Nocturnal Gazetteer:
The drowning deep as 4 polemarchs, Adricthys, Arcaetehys, Xanicthys, and Xenodeimos, but very little is mentioned about them. Specifically I was wondering if their race is determined. Are they even all the same race?
Same for archon, the chief priest of the god below.

I am assuming by the end Paul Dirac has become sea-claimed, and am listing that as his race. Was that the intent of the authors?

Here are a couple of nicknames, how do these sound:
Kelpie of Maiden Point - off shore of Liffe at Maiden Point.
The Librarian - for the spirit librarian on the isle of ravens.

Sulo Boritsi is mentioned as a member of the Boritsi trading company that traveled to Liffe. Is this the same Sulo who is mentioned as a brother of Ivana and is the stapan of Levkarest (per Gazetteer 4). He would be 66 years old. Or is this a son or other younger relative?

Here is a contradiction:
Gunnar Illhousen is mentioned as a nephew of Gregorian Illhousen who reopened the clinic for the mentally distressed. QTR 6 names an Amadeus Emerling as a nephew of Gregorian Illhousen who reopened the clinic for the mentally distressed. Also Book of Shadows has another doctor who use to work with Gregorian reopen the clinic, Freidrick Louis.

Here is my solution, Louis originally reopened the clinic, while a good doctor he was not a good administrator and had to close the clinic. Later 2 nephews of Illhousen, working together reopened the clinic, and hired Louis to work there.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Some more questions:

Duke Gundar's children, Geweena and Medraut. Any idea what their race would be? Medraut did not sound like a vampire in KotBR but was monstrous.

A strange coincident, Bernard Foquelaine is the mayor of Port d'Elhour in the Souragne Gaz, someone of the same name was mentioned in Gaz as the former Lord Governor of Dementlieu. I assume they cannot be the same person.

Another nickname, in From the Shadows, Azalin refers to a spirit naga as The Exterminator. How does that sound? Or should it be Azalin's Exterminator? Something else?
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Band2 wrote:Duke Gundar's children, Geweena and Medraut. Any idea what their race would be? Medraut did not sound like a vampire in KotBR but was monstrous.
Nothing was ever said canonically, but logistically, they were most likely dhampirs.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Do Dhampirs even officialy exist as a race? Personally I don't like them.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Band2 wrote:I am just looking for something generic. Maybe something like dream creature or Nightmare Court Member.
I would agree they are dream creatures, though that's not too specific. I don't think anyone could argue too much with "Nightmare Court Member."
The drowning deep as 4 polemarchs, Adricthys, Arcaetehys, Xanicthys, and Xenodeimos, but very little is mentioned about them. Specifically I was wondering if their race is determined. Are they even all the same race?
I don't see anything conclusive in the text. There is this: "Virundus' closest servants are changed by their ruler to abyssal horrors (kraken, morkoths, aboleths, and so forth), and are not considered to have any caste in the normal sense;" I would imagine the polemarchs might qualify for this honor. So there's no telling what they are.
Same for archon, the chief priest of the god below.
The other hieroi are anguillian, so that might be a good guess, but I suppose it's possible that the chief priest might qualify for transformation into an "abyssal horror" of some kind as well. Then again, there's this passage: "The chief of all the priests is Archon; the commander of my soldiers in the City itself is Strategos; the highest of the magi is Magistrate. Each gives My word to those of his own kind.." This would seem to indicate that the caste leaders are still of their "own kind."
I am assuming by the end Paul Dirac has become sea-claimed, and am listing that as his race. Was that the intent of the authors?
I'm not one of the authors, but I'm pretty sure that's the accepted interpretation.
Here are a couple of nicknames, how do these sound:
Kelpie of Maiden Point - off shore of Liffe at Maiden Point.
The Librarian - for the spirit librarian on the isle of ravens.
Sure.
Sulo Boritsi is mentioned as a member of the Boritsi trading company that traveled to Liffe. Is this the same Sulo who is mentioned as a brother of Ivana and is the stapan of Levkarest (per Gazetteer 4). He would be 66 years old. Or is this a son or other younger relative?
I believe that was the intent, that it be the same Sulo.
Here is a contradiction:
Gunnar Illhousen is mentioned as a nephew of Gregorian Illhousen who reopened the clinic for the mentally distressed. QTR 6 names an Amadeus Emerling as a nephew of Gregorian Illhousen who reopened the clinic for the mentally distressed. Also Book of Shadows has another doctor who use to work with Gregorian reopen the clinic, Freidrick Louis.

Here is my solution, Louis originally reopened the clinic, while a good doctor he was not a good administrator and had to close the clinic. Later 2 nephews of Illhousen, working together reopened the clinic, and hired Louis to work there.
Nice catch. Your solution seems sound enough to me. Another option might be that the nephew used an alias for some reason. (which might fit in as a reflection of the domain's darklord...)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Band2 wrote:Duke Gundar's children, Geweena and Medraut. Any idea what their race would be? Medraut did not sound like a vampire in KotBR but was monstrous.
I agree with Mangrum: dhampir. (yes, they do exist, in Denizens of Darkness/Dread (and maybe RLMCIII?))
A strange coincident, Bernard Foquelaine is the mayor of Port d'Elhour in the Souragne Gaz, someone of the same name was mentioned in Gaz as the former Lord Governor of Dementlieu. I assume they cannot be the same person.
I would imagine a descendant, but only the author knows for sure.
Another nickname, in From the Shadows, Azalin refers to a spirit naga as The Exterminator. How does that sound? Or should it be Azalin's Exterminator? Something else?
I'd stick with The Exterminator.
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Thanks for all the answers. I will add the possibility that the 2 Illhousen nephews are really one person using an alias.

Here are some more nicknames:
From Van Richten's Guide to the Created
Antonin Madren's Sister - Atonin created a golem to replace his sister.
Casdin's Scarcrow - Casdin created the straw golem to protect himself from tax collectors, but lost control of it
Delona's Golem - not much here. Delona created a golem that was killing the young people of the village.
Flesh Golem of Viaki - its creator used a frozen lake to keep the bodies fresh before assembling into a golem
Golem of Dervich - had a bloodhound's nose
Golem of Uselix - terrorized the village of Uselix for years

From Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey
Emma MacCullough's Lover - a shee that saved Emma's life, then charmed her and carried her off
Fiona's Lover - a fey who transformed from a fir into a brag
Fiona's Great-granddaughter - Fiona's lover returned after many years to spend time with her great-granddaughter.

From Van Richten's Guide to Witches:
Suzeen's Daughter - a hag replaced Suzeen's daughter with a hag who grew up to destroy Suzeen and her coven.

From Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts:
The Thundering Carriage - what first made van Richten decide to pursue ghosts.

Some of these are vague, such as Fiona's great-granddaughter, and may need to come off the list. What do you think?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

sure... as long as there's some identifiable nugget of info, I say go ahead and include them. And your names are as good as any. ("Scarcrow" should be "Scarecrow," though. Otherwise, looks good.)