Random hooks thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Random hooks thread

Post by The Lesser Evil »

brilliantlight wrote:In his arrogance The Dukkar summoned a bone devil to do his biding , mocking his demonic father. The bone devil is unable to attack him directly due to powerful protections that The Dukkar cast during the summoning. Although unable to attack him directly he is able to cause whatever problems he can indirectly. The Dark Powers , to further torment Mocho, gave the fiend the power to change his appearance to a large man with a black beard and brown piercing eyes. The devil sworn vengeance on the one who summoned him. What diabolical plan does it have in the making to punish Mocho?
I don't follow how summoning a bone devil would mock the Gentleman Caller (whom is an incubus, which does not resemble a bone devil) , or why Malocchio would want to mock his father. As far as I know, they're on pretty good terms. Could you explain this hook a little bit further?
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:In his arrogance The Dukkar summoned a bone devil to do his biding , mocking his demonic father. The bone devil is unable to attack him directly due to powerful protections that The Dukkar cast during the summoning. Although unable to attack him directly he is able to cause whatever problems he can indirectly. The Dark Powers , to further torment Mocho, gave the fiend the power to change his appearance to a large man with a black beard and brown piercing eyes. The devil sworn vengeance on the one who summoned him. What diabolical plan does it have in the making to punish Mocho?
I don't follow how summoning a bone devil would mock the Gentleman Caller (whom is an incubus, which does not resemble a bone devil) , or why Malocchio would want to mock his father. As far as I know, they're on pretty good terms. Could you explain this hook a little bit further?
In my opinion the bone devil is one of the more hideous looking devils out there so it would be the opposite of his father an ugly LE devil instead of a handsome CE demon. Maybe mockery is the wrong word, spite is probably better. As far as the latter I think Mocho hates everyone and everything including himself. He mocks his father because deep down he hates himself and his father reminds him of himself.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

brilliantlight wrote: In my opinion the bone devil is one of the more hideous looking devils out there so it would be the opposite of his father an ugly LE devil instead of a handsome CE demon. Maybe mockery is the wrong word, spite is probably better. As far as the latter I think Mocho hates everyone and everything including himself. He mocks his father because deep down he hates himself and his father reminds him of himself.
Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks for your explanation.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

狂気の踊り (Dance of Madness)

The austere views of the deeply religious second son of Haki Shinpi have made his island a particularly quiet one. Of the four, this is the place where the arts are cherished only if they adhere to strict traditions and reflect he ways of the ancient masters.

However, the man is quite concerned with reports of a spreading madness among his people. The commoners have been said to participate in what could be best described as a mad parade wherein all present engage in an unusual dance.

The leaders have some manner of routine, and perceptive individuals may spot the intricate albeit unorthodox patterns and moves but those who were "caught in the moment" simply flail their limbs wildly - although most will learn the rudiments of the dance quickly.

The leaders will also sing along at times, encouraging onlookers to follow their lead and leave any sense of shame behind.

Stories of this odd group have reached the shores of the core with the curious artistic elites of the more developed domains itching to have a demonstration - exoticism oblige.

Jiro is more than happy to be rid of the nuisance, but will these rich patrons succeed in bringing over the mad dancers and are they merely free spirited artists or something more?
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

The tooth fairy

In the parched lands of G'Henna, hunger is one's greatest enemy. The basic urge to consume is of course seen as sin and the line between necessity and gluttony quite thin. Parents, upon hearing the cries of their young children, may sometimes be faced with a terrible dilemma: do they try to find a way to properly instruct their children in the ways of the great devourer or do they find ways to sate the hunger?

The instincts of parents can sometimes overrule the teachings of the faith and how many of those cast out of Zhakata's flock were well meaning parents distressed by the voices of their immature brood?

One man took it upon himself to help his family cope with the demands of the church by making it more difficult for them to even try and engage in the sinful act of eating. It took him some time, but looking at his now aged father's toothless gums and how the family had to prepare special porridge for him, "divine" inspiration hit him. Clearly if children lacked teeth they would be less inclined to act upon their crippling hunger!

So he forcefully removed the teeth of his children with the (somewhat limited) blessing of his wife. They cried from the pain as one might assume, but he braced himself and continued pulling out the little white teeth from their mouths. Their supplications made his wife a little hesitant and in a moment of weakness even pleaded with her husband to stop, but he sharply reminded her that his work was commissioned by a higher power.

Looking at the bloody mouths of his progeny, tears streamed down his face in shock and pride. Religious fervor and paternal love clashing in a mind clouded by hunger and years of frustration.

He told himself it was for the best, but couldn't quite manage to convince his wife. Not that he truly believed that he had acted out of a desire to protect his children himself. In fact, the doubts piled up until he decided to seek counsel within the priesthood of Zhakata.

The initial reaction was unfortunately mixed with a few priests examining the bare mouths of the youths with some revulsion, yet an elder priest declared that this was a perfectly acceptable means of making unruly children learn the ways of their God. He had not killed or injured them and they would one day stand proudly as followers of Zakata. Yagno himself would surely approve, opined the priest.

And so the father was left with more confusion as God spoke to him and yet his heart ached still from his actions. Perhaps he needed to spread his idea, perhaps others would agree with him and thus validate his initiative.

However, pulling out teeth in the name of Zhakata is one thing, creating an effigy of his God out of the result of his labour is another. Upon hearing of the blasphemy, the priesthood gathered at the man's house to arrest him and place him on trial for crimes against the faith. Perhaps the fact that his initial efforts had been driven by holy devotion would award him a lighter sentence, suggested his captors.

Yagno cast him out as a mongelman, reminding him that the cost of blasphemy is sometimes death but that the heavens also know that he gave them a boon and hence he would live - but as an outcast.

The effigy, however, had disappeared before the priests could come back to destroy it. The family had been present at the patriarch's trial and so the priesthood was at a loss as to how the tiny Zhakata went missing.

Recently, a strange series of events have taken place within the house hold of rich nobles in Borca. Portly, well-fed children wake up with missing teeth. One claims nightmarish visions of a tiny white creature attacking her while chanting in a strange, foreign tongue.

Local officials are quite baffled and feel this may be the work of some deranged pervert who developed some kind of fetish for the teeth of children.
Last edited by Zettaijin on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Zettaijin wrote:The tooth fairy

In the parched lands of Zherisia hunger is one's greatest enemy. The basic urge to consume is of course seen as sin and the line between necessity and gluttony quite thin. Parents, upon hearing the cries of their young children, may sometimes be faced with a terrible dilemma: do they try to find a way to properly instruct their children in the ways of the great devourer or do they find ways to sate the hunger?

The instincts of parents can sometimes overrule the teachings of the faith and how many of those cast out of Zhakata's flock were well meaning parents distressed by the voices of their immature brood?

One man took it upon himself to help his family cope with the demands of the church by making it more difficult for them to even try and engage in the sinful act of eating. It took him some time, but looking at his now aged father's toothless gums and how the family had to prepare special porridge for him, "divine" inspiration hit him. Clearly if children lacked teeth they would be less inclined to act upon their crippling hunger!

So he forcefully removed the teeth of his children with the (somewhat limited) blessing of his wife. They cried from the pain as one might assume, but he braced himself and continued pulling out the little white teeth from their mouths. Their supplications made his wife a little hesitant and in a moment of weakness even pleaded with her husband to stop, but he sharply reminded her that his work was commissioned by a higher power.

Looking at the bloody mouths of his progeny, tears streamed down his face in shock and pride. Religious fervor and paternal love clashing in a mind clouded by hunger and years of frustration.

He told himself it was for the best, but couldn't quite manage to convince his wife. Not that he truly believed that he had acted out of a desire to protect his children himself. In fact, the doubts piled up until he decided to seek counsel within the priesthood of Zhakata.

The initial reaction was unfortunately mixed with a few priests examining the bare mouths of the youths with some revulsion, yet an elder priest declared that this was a perfectly acceptable means of making unruly children learn the ways of their God. He had not killed or injured them and they would one day stand proudly as followers of Zakata. Yagno himself would surely approve, opined the priest.

And so the father was left with more confusion as God spoke to him and yet his heart ached still from his actions. Perhaps he needed to spread his idea, perhaps others would agree with him and thus validate his initiative.

However, pulling out teeth in the name of Zhakata is one thing, creating an effigy of his God out of the result of his labour is another. Upon hearing of the blasphemy, the priesthood gathered at the man's house to arrest him and place him on trial for crimes against the faith. Perhaps the fact that his initial efforts had been driven by holy devotion would award him a lighter sentence, suggested his captors.

Yagno cast him out as a mongelman, reminding him that the cost of blasphemy is sometimes death but that the heavens also know that he gave them a boon and hence he would live - but as an outcast.

The effigy, however, had disappeared before the priests could come back to destroy it. The family had been present at the patriarch's trial and so the priesthood was at a loss as to how the tiny Zhakata went missing.

Recently, a strange series of events have taken place within the house hold of rich nobles in Borca. Portly, well-fed children wake up with missing teeth. One claims nightmarish visions of a tiny white creature attacking her while chanting in a strange, foreign tongue.

Local officials are quite baffled and feel this may be the work of some deranged pervert who developed some kind of fetish for the teeth of children.
OK, that is brutal even for Ravenloft. I admit I have a stronger reaction when kids are involved.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

brilliantlight wrote: OK, that is brutal even for Ravenloft. I admit I have a stronger reaction when kids are involved.
Yeah, but then again this is G'Henna (yeah, I had a brain fart and called it Zherisia since it reminded me of Zhakata) and children are (like adults) forced to starve and endure pretty rough lives.

I'd assume that these conditions could sometimes lead to insanity.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Zettaijin wrote:
brilliantlight wrote: OK, that is brutal even for Ravenloft. I admit I have a stronger reaction when kids are involved.
Yeah, but then again this is G'Henna (yeah, I had a brain fart and called it Zherisia since it reminded me of Zhakata) and children are (like adults) forced to starve and endure pretty rough lives.

I'd assume that these conditions could sometimes lead to insanity.
True enough, but I tend to wince when it is children.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

I declare a new challenge! The ABCs of Random Hooks!

The rules are simple: each new entry must start with the next letter of the alphabet and each entry must be from official, canon material (Ravenloft or not). The hook may refer to a place, a person or a creature.

A is for Aleax

(see the original Fiend Folio)

Janya has been hunted for years now. She has no notion of her crime, yet she is being punished - she knows it.

Janya has lived more than one life and every time she comes back, she must live a new existence. With every new face and every new life, she finds her old memories battling the new ones. Sometimes her old memories merge with new ones resulting in odd interaction with individuals whom her new life knows.

Her killer has yet to be stopped and while some of her new lives brought her closer to a solution, she can feel her life force becoming tired from the constant voyages between life and death.

----

"The Gods are not to be trifled with. Ancient societies are filled with tales warning mortals of the perils that await those who would insult the powers above.

Yet at any given moment, some poor soul is once again committing some manner of crime against the Gods and must be punished for their insolence. One would think the Gods would be above such things, yet here I am.

I killed her, just as I was asked to do. I slashed her throat and watched as the blood spilled onto the earth staining it red.

They did not send for me. My duties had been fulfilled yet I found no summon from my celestial mistress. Once Her voice commanded me, shaping the shapeless into a perfect copy of the sinner.

She was not a great woman. I was to deliver holy retribution in Her name upon a rather humble soul. I did as I was tasked, for that was my only purpose. I was to then return to that from which She shaped me, yet I did not.

My task must not have been completed to Her entire satisfaction for she returned and so did I under a new form. While it took some time for my memories and thoughts to return, in time I recalled my mission.

However, since that time I have been left with questions.

Why do I even think? Why is the concept of thought not at all alien to me? If I was but a soulless automaton, a mere tool in the hands of the divine, then why am I now pondering?

At times I feel an overwhelming desire to escape. Those thoughts rarely stay for very long, fortunately.

All I should have is the ever burning urge to seek out and punish my quarry as per Her command. Perhaps once she has suffered enough and atoned for her sins I will be once again free to return to Her.

For now, I write these memories down so that I never forget. The gift and curse of memory is a peculiar and fleeting one. Reading my own words will allow you, myself, to recall what has been and what must be done.

It seems as if it takes time for me to find my words and recover my purpose, but once I read myself (and I always do, so do not fear, She seems to have not forgotten us however distant we may be from Her now), I find that I quickly regain a sense of what I must do for Her."
Last edited by Zettaijin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

B is for Brood of the Purple Moon, The

(first mentioned in Gazetteer IV)

An agent of the Kargat has infiltrated the ranks of the Bloody Roots clan of wereboars in hopes of gathering intelligence on the area and its somewhat adventurous werewolf population. The purpose of such an operation and the usefulness of the information gathered goes well above the head of said agent to the point where she has started believing that the Kargat may be exiling her as punishment for some form of breach of etiquette.

As time passes, she has grown quite intrigued by the possibilities represented by the Brood of the Purple Moon and as such has tried to associate herself more closely with the powerful werebear Broderick Bonebreaker. She feels that Broderick has the charisma and aura of a leader but lacks practical and political experience. He does however seem fairly easy to manipulate and she hopes to use him to further her aims.

Broderick is not known for his patience with others but this wereboar has proven herself valuable so far thanks to her brash, fearless character and willingness to risk her neck gathering intelligence on the werewolves. And while he may be a brute, he's not completely oblivious to the wereboar's machinations. She is an outsider, he could tell from the moment she arrived, for Broderick knows the names of ALL the members of local werebeast clans. He has an impressive talent with such things and is quite aware that she infiltrated the Bloody Roots clan. So, the two are clumsily manipulating each other with hopes of making use of the other's talents.

The agent has come to think that if the Kargat doesn't want her, perhaps a new life in Verbrek awaits her. Actually, if she somehow wrests control of the land from the werewolves, she may be in line for a promotion back in Darkon based on her obvious talents.

However, rumours of a powerful female werewolf who humiliated Alfred Timothy have made their way to the clans of the Brood... The agent wonders if she too is aligned with an outside power... What if she's also with Darkon's secret police and charged with a similar mission? Are they competitors?

One thing is for certain, they need to act now while Timothy is is shaken. For their purposes they'll need human bait for the wolves...
Last edited by Zettaijin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

C is for the Cult of Vecna

"Think of it as a game, or perhaps a bit of intellectual stretching. We take all those authors - you know, the ones who publish tomes with far-fetched theories regarding ancient vampires ruling most rustic hamlets and the agrestic locals which populate them; that various organizations are secretly subverting our lives; or, worse yet, treating us as cattle bred for their inhuman hungers. So, we take all those authors and find the common links - the strings that bind these tales together into a rich tapestry of paranoia."

"Like that Van Richten fellow, then?"

"Yes and no. Obviously I'm not denying the existence of powerful people playing complex political games with each other no more than I am denying the existence of what we may refer to in certain circles as arcane matters. Merely that perhaps some overestimate the actual presence of such elements in our lives. I certainly am not spending my every night cowering in fear from lurking terrors and shadowy creatures.

Van Richten was driven by perfectly understandable emotions stemming from that unfortunate incident involving his son.

Now then, I propose a central thesis - a sold foundation upon which I shall proceed to erect a magnificient mansion built on paranoid fantasies and misguided delusions."

"And what might that foundation be?"

"The Cult of Vecna."

"Well, I didn't see THAT coming. Vecna - now there's a name you don't hear very often. A presumed Death God from some now ancient and lost civilization for whom some have a certain penchant. Certainly not the most common of his kind and some scholars debate whether he was ever truly worshipped or if some clever author may have fooled them all with his prose."

"Precisely! That thin line between fiction and reality is thrilling, isn't it? Little is known about this particular Death God and most records stem from prose rather than more scientific and historical inquiries into the matter. He captured the imagination of more than one bard, however serious work is lacking. What we have are the ramblings of angry men who declare that the world is at an end due to the infiltration of Vecna's followers in political organs and intellectual circles alike."

"They do tend to to have an eery tendency to mimic each other, those writers. They see cultists under their beds and in their closets, spying for their Dread Lord and His inscrutable purposes. However, discussing them is, in of itself, hardly a feat."

"True, which is why we need to follow the trail of crumbs into deep paranoia! Let us begin with the assumption that they are right. Vecna's cultists have managed to secretely insert themselves into the highest offices of power and repositories of knowledge.

How did they go about it? Who's in and who's not? What are their aims?

We start with the oldest records of Vecna found to date: The Records of the War of He, The Revenant King."

"Which is merely stolen material from The Chronicle of Secret Times."

"Ah my friend, your knowledge of the unknown is as sharp as any blade! True, if one is to believe Alfred Thornship, The Chronicle inspired a number of derivative works. However good old Alfred also believes that small gremlins inhabit his attic. No one has ever really seen or even read The Chronicle. It is constantly being cited but no known library holds a copy. One wonders if we could even decipher it were we to find one!"

"Of course, but The Records have been often discredited for lacking in value as historical research. It's mostly grandiose tales of swords and sorcery in rather oblique prose. It features Gods made flesh battling alongside mortals along with the tales pertaining to the rise of Vecna as a God of sorts. Again, this is based on the theories that Gods are simply powerful mortals whose knowledge far eclipses that of their peers."

"True or not, bards are as motivated by the desire to entertain as that to catalogue the past. The latter serving and informing the former as it were."

"A serpent eating its own tail..."

"Apt analogy for the tale suggests that presence of a formidable ally in the form of the serpent - a great wyrm which advised Vecna."

"Where have I heard that before?"

"Please, let's try to be serious here. The serpent is a classic symbol. As per Caravino, the serpent that devours its own tail is the sign of infinity. The paradox which, once solved, allows the mind to fully understand the makings of the stars themselves!"

"And L'Ordre de L'Infini was said to be a group of men who sought to accomplish what Caravino could not. So I assume we are bringing up cults and dusty old religious orders now?"

"Why not? No time like the present! So whether any cells have ever truly done more than sit around a table discussing the mysteries of existence is of much scholarly debate. The group was reputedly small and secretive - it's entirely possible their wives did not look kindly upon them for spending their time talking rather than working."

"I gather none were professionnal sages whose sole work was precisely to lounge about, dreaming of ancient deities and foreign riddles."

"Cults sometimes attract interesting members."

"That they do. However, could we even call this a cult?"

"Given their theories, at the time they were a cult. We're looking at 500BC. A significant jump in the timeline. Let's go back to Vecna. So if we choose to follow the idea of Vecna as a powerful wizard turned God, then he needed followers. hence the Cult of Vecna.

However Death Gods tend to attract rather unpleasant types and not all of them are of the scholarly persuasion. Given Vecna's apparent devotion to uncovering knowledge, the idea that his cult could have created a front to seduce mages and sorcerers and other arcane-loving types is quite plausible.

We have quite a few sources citing 'knowledge' cults acting as fronts for megalomaniacal indviduals with an EYE on usurping some ruler or gaining more prominence. It's all quite mundane by now, save for the fact that the stories tend to suggest that this ruse worked for once."

"People were more guillible back then. They didn't bite the HAND that fed them."

"Well, there's something to be said about the amount of times this very story has been repeated... In any case, Vecna wins, his cult creates itself a double identity - the velvet glove for its iron gauntlet."

"I don't see Vecna with velvet gloves. Never thought of him as one for fashion, really. Would it not impede casting?"

"Point well taken, however I hear Roderick the Blue was quite fond of them himself... Why Maria at the tavern was..."

"So Vecna's cult. We know little about it and as far as I'm concerned its 'public face' remains lost - if it ever existed. Vecna does not sound like the sort to engage in diplomacy much."

"Perhaps so, but individuals who seek knowledge above all else tend to be excentric."

"I consider this a quality myself, but go on."

"Yes, so while the cult is secretive and information scarce, there was a rather public 'outing' of a presumed cell in Hazlan some years back. They had the classic hand and eye sigil printed on their documents."

"Entertaining, but given this was Hazlan, the use of Vecna may have been merely a tactic, a diversion for some inner purge."

"No doubt, however what's interesting is that while most of the members were local, one was not. He was Darkonian. Politics being that they are, he was released to Azalin Rex who would punish him himself as he was a Darkon resident. A fellow by the name of Edouard Balit who wrote a number of treatise on book preservation and binding along with - apparently - having worked for the University of Il Aluk as a lecturer on the unfortunate issue of plagiarism among scholars. The man a keen mind and an EYE for false attributions and stolen work."

"I see... he played his HAND well. A good HEAD for Vecna, I assume..."

"He had a circle of friends at the University, individuals with whom he'd spend time debating the merits of certain texts and ideas along with trying to find the true authors of great classics. Be they ghost writers or merely victims of jealous peers."

"And Balit was not his real name... now was it?"

"Indeed, the staff doesn't wish to speak of it but controversial professor Boisjoli has determined that Balit is an ancient name given to a serpent eating its own tail in some barely remembered stories penned by the author only known as Balit - when the latter was still but a struggling author trying to earn his keep through tales ghostwritten for less inspired bards."

"So L'Ordre de L'Infini lived on through Balit or whomever he was. Unless it's merely a coincidence and the man chose the name on a whim."

"Please, our potential customers are not fond of 'accidents' as they rather enjoy their complex webs of conspiracy and twisted intents. Yes, Balit had a minor cell of L'Ordre. And L'Ordre may have been or is a front for Vecna's forbidden cult. The more clever and ambitious members are brought to the cult and given a title and rank such as the heart, eyes, voice or memories of Vecna."

"Or the fingers, teeth and toes..."

"Well, he IS an all powerful God of Death. One would imagine that he has more might in his toes than all of us mere mortals put together."

"Be that as it may... how could one allow a cult to name its members after EVERY body part!?"

"The rumours of there being actual Toes of Vecna are generally not regarded very highly even in the more shall we say whimsical circles.

Now then, we established that the Ordre is a front and has been for some time. L'Ordre has a long history and simply doesn't die, although its name is rarely spoken or even used. In fact, I'm certain members don't even know they've joined a cult let alone one which recruits for an even older and more mysterious one.

Let's not stop here, shall we? Having a single front is fine but then we have the Ebon Triad. Again, little is known about them save for the fevered rants of Brother Theo of the Fraternal Order who, on his death bed, warned of the Ebon Triad and three-faced God.

He claimed Vecna was one face, or at least that's what those present at his death bed claim. His last words have circulated among intellectuals for some time despite orders from the Order to have them silenced.

We all know that old gods are sometimes forgotten and replaced by newer, shinier ones. Be it bigger swords or better benefits, people change allegiances and priests gain sudden insight and, after proper atonement, align themselves with the newer God. Some Gods even merge into super Gods to battle potential challengers to their faith."

"Oh no... you're not..."

"Oh yes... Now, when Yakov Dilisnya founded the faith of Ezra, people flocked to it. However, the church has been quite active in erasing traces of what came before it. And while one can convince a farmer of Ezra's grace, he isn't likely to leave his livelihood to join the ranks of the priesthood. Learned, literate individuals were hard to come by and convincing existing men and women to abandon their old ways and join him in his new faith demands more explanations.

Oh, of course anchorites will merely state that holy enlightenment occurred but us cynical intellectuals refuse such easy explanations. Previous faiths existed and battled for dominance. However, the genius of Dilisnya was in the way he convinced the faithfuls that Ezra was and had always been but that they had seen but one facet of the Holy Figure.

There were three facets to Ezra and he sought to bring to light Her true form, united at last.

There are a few existing copies of old diaries that survived the purges in which priests, faced with a potential end to the divided faiths of the people could accept a compromise - a little white lie to better serve their faith. One of the faiths was devoted to knowledge and found itself growing less popular than its more immediately useful competitors. Its main faithfuls were assorted bookworms who in many ways seem to be an offshoot of our old friends L'Ordre de L'Infini.

So key members of that cult joined forced with Yakov Dilisnya to form the basis of the Church of Ezra.

In fact, early examples of Ezra's symbol featured the serpent eating its own tail."

"Fabulous... so Vecna infiltrated Ezra... Now how did they worm their way into power? Who is a member of his cult and who is merely part of the front? And what is their goal? Buy more books? Make better artificial limbs for their apparently crippled master? And what powers would one gain from owning a Toe of Vecna? Would a Boil of Vecna be considered potentially potent magically speaking?"

"I don't claim to have read every book on the matter, but I'm certain there is someone who has pondered this questions fully. Perhaps when I have time, I should investigate the matter..."

"Perhaps they wish to offer greater knowledge of the anatomy?"

"A-hem, so their goal is to buy ALL the books. That is to say, to write existence. Or should I say to write existence again.

Remember, some version of Vecna's tale end with the mighty wizard being slain by a treacherous servant who stabs his former master with an enchanted blade. Some scholars suggest that given the favourable outcome for Vecna, this was all part of an elaborate plan. In other words, Vecna knew of his death and engineered it so that he would rise again as a God. And some go as far as saying that Vecna instructed himself as the fabled serpent, thus creating the initial great paradox.

Vecna will own all knowledge and pen the universe as an author pens a book with his cult acting as the ink."

"Now I'm starting to believe that YOU'VE gone mad yourself!"

"The next step is to iron out the details regarding the political arc of this magnificient tale and find a few suitable minds open to its greatness."

"I'll settle for a Hair Clipping of Vecna..."
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

D is for Diamabel

Here lies a man forsaken by his God who eternally thirsts for a taste of the holy fountain. Was he not a faithful soldier? Did he not offer his God the heads of the infidels as He had asked?

Diamabel yearns for his God and, lacking any spiritual links, is now pondering facilitating a renewal of the lost holy communion through physical interpretations of his relationship to his God.

Now it would be quite sacrilegious for a mere mortal to even consider such an undertaking, however Diamabel was once closer to Him than anyone in the land. He was by his side as Diamabel rode and slew infidels in His name. He knows Him and wishes for the world to see Him in all his glory.

As such, Diamabel is looking for artists working with various medium who would capture the essence of the lost bond between Diamabel and Him. Alas, failure to capture said essence is inevitable and a rather terrible fate awaits those artists who disappoint.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

E is for Easan

Easan had the old loremaster before him and asks "How is a demon able to infest a god?" "My lord?" he replies . Easan stands muttering and gesturing for a while and the man's lungs fill with water and he begins to drown. He makes a gesture and the man is able to cough the water up. "I said how is a demon able to infest a god?" The loremaster looks shocked and says " I don't know how that is possible, sire" Another spell and the loremaster feels deep sorrow instead of fear, a sorrow he has never known before totally erasing the fear. Another gesture and the sorrow fades and the fear resumes and the loremaster continues " I tell you I don't know, but I can look into it." he says with a nervous smile. Easan says " You do that , I must know!" It was indeed a mystery how the soul of a demon could infest a god like himself. No matter how many mortals must die he must free himself of this demon. Only then can he rule as god-king without worries.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

F is for (The great) Fire (of 617)

Memories die in Darkon. They float away from the mind with the greatest ease. Yet memories don't need the mysterious forces of Darkon to be erased by time.

The Great Fire that ravaged Aluk Septemtrion in 617BC is now but a dormant memory following the arrival of Death and the terrible plague that befell Il Aluk.

Yet somewhere in its bowels there remains a trace of the first great tragedy, a tiny, weak flame which eternally burns. In this miniature pyre is the tiny skeleton of a child, the first victim of the great fire.

The pyre was once powerful and mighty, its flames blue, green, yellow and red as it set about purifying the city.

The city was dead and needed a proper burial. All the dead of Il Aluk would be purified by the cleansing fires and no more would the gates of the other world be closed to them! And the living who kept the dead from eternal peace would be punished for their sins and simultaneously cleansed by the great pyre.

The pyre dreams of that time. It's all the keeps it from simply disappearing.

There is a story to be told about the great fire, about the woman who brought the cleansing pyre to the city and how it was defeated. There is a story about the ever burning pyre waiting for a chance to once again dance in the streets with its purifying flames setting all ablaze in the holiest of holy rituals. And there yet more to say of the woman who thought to ignite the souls of all sinners with heavenly retribution. Stories untold and stories buried under the weight of reconstruction and humanity's stubborn desire to erect ever greater cities, and, then, that of death's grim shroud.

If one looks deeply enough into her seemingly empty eyes, one might see the pyre at its zenith. And if one reminds the mad ghost of the flames that once ruled Il Aluk, she may just tell you the story of that day - of the sinners, of the dead, and especially of the beautiful fire.

Why, perhaps it may just pay its old friend a visit in the now dead city...
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

G is for Godrey

"Damn Estelle , if she weren't sleeping around I would be truly ruling this domain. I justly killed the harlot and her bastard daughter and still I am haunted by them, even after death. Proof yet again there is no justice in the universe. Now I have to try and hide from them every night, yet the tramp keeps finding me. All through the night there is no rest, no peace and I am unable to see through my plans. I spend half the day recovering from her vicious attacks and by the time I get a decent start on my plans I am being attacked again. It is just not fair" thought Godfrey. "Maybe tomorrow I can be rid of them. I will simply allow the group of adventurers to enter the house and maybe they can banish them away. I will simply hide far away from here. If they die there are always more people I can lure in."
Last edited by brilliantlight on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.