[Savage Worlds] Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
De Montour
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: [Savage Worlds] Ravenloft

Post by De Montour »

I haven't noticed your efforts over on Peginc Forums Hidajiremi. Are you hiding your light under a bushel(as the old saying goes)? :D
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Rogold Gildenman wrote:
Currently, I'm working on the Tarot mini-supplement and a cluster gazetteer for the Amber Wastes, but I have no doubt that I'll get to the Shadowlands eventually.
On a less scrambled note, may one please ask which Domains you intend to include in the Amber Wastes cluster? (given the nature of the landscape in The Burning Peaks it seems reasonable enough to wonder if you plan to simply amalgamate the two clusters into a single whole): also, might one please ask if you have any plans for the Verdurous Lands and the Frozen Reaches? (I was recently contemplating the latter and began to wonder if Lamordia might fit in there just as well as in The Four Towers cluster, an outpost of civilisation in a fairly savage neck of the woods - although that would be an alternate of your own Alternate take on the Demiplane of Dread).

Stay well, my good fellow and thank you in advance for your patience with my Inquisition. :wink:
The Amber Wastes is currently: Pharazia, Har'Akir, Sebua, and Al-Kathos. I do have plans for the Frozen Reaches and the Verdurous Lands, but that's down the road a ways.

And I'm always happy to see alternate takes! I mean, my own little drabble here is very much "an alternate take" on Ravenloft as a whole. =)
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

De Montour wrote:I haven't noticed your efforts over on Peginc Forums Hidajiremi. Are you hiding your light under a bushel(as the old saying goes)? :D
I just don't post that much on the Pinnacle forums these days. I've gotten some flak there in the past, not all of it undeserved, so I generally limit my posting on their forums to my official work anymore.

Edit: Their forums are down at the moment anyway.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

The first Savage Ravenloft mini-supplement, Power of the Tarot, is finished! I'll be sending a copy off to the Fraternity soon, but in the meantime here's a direct Google Drive link. Don't know how long it'll stay up, but it's here for the moment.

Ravenloft Reincarnated: Power of the Tarot
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

There is already a downloadable Tarrokah set at the very FoS, illustrated by Isabella: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Maus ... _tarot.pdf
Should do the job if printed on sturdy paper and laminated, and would probably worth a mention and link in the PDF.

(Although I'd probably convert it first to image files, shoop the yellow background color away, convert it to greyscale and then convert it back to PDF if I were to create an actual physical card deck from it. That would make it usable with a range of colored and/or textured special paper without the yellow tint messing with it if you want something more fancy.)
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Skyrock wrote:There is already a downloadable Tarrokah set at the very FoS, illustrated by Isabella: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Maus ... _tarot.pdf
Isabella's tarokka is quite lovely, actually. I referenced it a lot while I was working on Power of the Tarot for visual inspiration. =)
Fenris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Fenris »

Hello
I've just discovered this and began to read
I think indeed that Savage Worlds is a good fit for Ravenloft (don't know if you know Rippers/ Rippers Ressurected by the way, there could be some things in it that might be of interest)
I like what you did with the skills, althought it may be a good thing to detail some knowledges (Obscure for example)
Was wondering too if magic backlash could be used to have the Power working, but in a harmful way, e.g. twisted by the dark powers
Also doesn't the fact that every wound ends in a temporary injury (Gritty damage) slow down the game a bit?
and the rest I have yet to read, but as I am quite new to Ravenloft (having only played a bit as a Player, and borrowed some elements as a DM), the fact that you have a stand-alone book that goes through the whole setting is perfect (well to be honest epub format would really have been perfect)
but well good job so far, I'll give some more feed back later I guess ;)
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Fenris wrote:Hello
Hi!
Fenris wrote: I've just discovered this and began to read
I think indeed that Savage Worlds is a good fit for Ravenloft (don't know if you know Rippers/ Rippers Ressurected by the way, there could be some things in it that might be of interest)
I'm glad you're enjoying my little project. And yes, I'm a big fan of Rippers from back in the day, as well as quite enjoying the new release of the game.
Fenris wrote: I like what you did with the skills, althought it may be a good thing to detail some knowledges (Obscure for example)
Well, Savage Worlds itself leaves Knowledge categories up to the individual game table. It's intentionally supposed to be left a little vague.

Fenris wrote: Was wondering too if magic backlash could be used to have the Power working, but in a harmful way, e.g. twisted by the dark powers
Sure! I think that would be a great house rule, in fact.

Fenris wrote: Also doesn't the fact that every wound ends in a temporary injury (Gritty damage) slow down the game a bit?
Only a little. And Savage Worlds is already so fast that it's not a big deal. At my own table, rolling the Vigor check is generally like an extra 5-20 seconds, depending on the player in question.
Fenris wrote: and the rest I have yet to read, but as I am quite new to Ravenloft (having only played a bit as a Player, and borrowed some elements as a DM), the fact that you have a stand-alone book that goes through the whole setting is perfect (well to be honest epub format would really have been perfect)
Sadly, doing an epub is a little beyond my resources. My intention was to make everything a group needed fit in one book, so I'm glad that it's working out for you. I am releasing mini-supplements for Ravenloft Reincarnated, but nothing in them is intended to be necessary for the base game to work.
Fenris wrote: but well good job so far, I'll give some more feed back later I guess ;)
I look forward to it!
Fenris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Fenris »

hidajiremi wrote:
Fenris wrote: but well good job so far, I'll give some more feed back later I guess ;)
I look forward to it!
Good :)
Just a note for the trapping, I think a player msut alaways choose a trapping for a power, even if it's only cosmetical (so he can choose to entangle with webs, roots, black tentacles or force chains, but can't change from one casting to another)
This said I don't see what the point of the kinetic Edge? I would think that a psychic can choose whatever Aspect when he picks his Power
Metamagic on the other hand is quite nice (altough it may be strange that a wizard that never choose fire as an aspect for example, turns out to be a fire mage at Seasoned Rank ;)), perhaps even a bit too powerful, given the added versatility (you can choose the option of the aspect at each casting)
herald of the dawn, same as kinetic, something eludes me there, except for the sunlight effect (which is usually a standard option of the Light Aspect). Also is there an aspect that require an additional cost?
Armiger seems pretty powerful, as you can have leather armor at a low cost (50$) and weight, and thus gain the +1 Parry (it seems to be better than Block and more easy to get, given the Novice Rank and d6 attributes)

And I see that you got rid of the pseudo-familiar, which I can understand, especially for wizards natives to the setting
For gnomes without arcane skills (or with), I wonder if it wouldn't be better to let them use their beast friend ability with a Smart or Spirit roll? (the ability is not that powerful, and you need otherwise a 6 on the Wild die or to Ace on the d4 to get it working ...)

that's all for now, but I really like what I read so far (that's why I point out some things ;) )
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Fenris wrote: Just a note for the trapping, I think a player msut alaways choose a trapping for a power, even if it's only cosmetical (so he can choose to entangle with webs, roots, black tentacles or force chains, but can't change from one casting to another)
This said I don't see what the point of the kinetic Edge? I would think that a psychic can choose whatever Aspect when he picks his Power
That's not quite correct. A player doesn't have to choose a trapping, and not all trappings necessarily have mechanical effects. As per SWDE 108, most trappings are just cosmetic. The Kinetic Edge allows a player to pick a mechanical trapping (SWDE 106) and apply any of the options from that trapping as he uses a power.

So think of it this way. A player could learn bolt and have the flavor be "a fiery arrow." That's just a description and doesn't do anything extra. Or he could learn it with the Fire (Armor Piercing) trapping from SWDE 106, but every time he uses bolt, it's always Fire (Armor Piercing). A Kinetic could learn bolt, and whenever he uses it, he has to apply a Fire trapping, but it could be Armor Piercing, or Fatigue, or Flammable, chosen when he uses the power.

Hope that helps explain a little!

As for the other questions, I'll get back to them in a little bit, but at least a couple of them stem from a minor misunderstanding on your part about how trappings work, so hopefully the above explanation helps with those too. =)
Fenris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Fenris »

hidajiremi wrote: Hope that helps explain a little!
Very clear, and clearly written in the edge moreover, my bad
except that a player must choose a trapping for each its power, even if it's one that has no mechanical effect: the form doesn't change (as my rules is in french, quotations will be hard, and pages references not the same, ;) )
thanks for the quick answer :D
Fenris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Fenris »

hidajiremi wrote:Sadly, doing an epub is a little beyond my resources. My intention was to make everything a group needed fit in one book, so I'm glad that it's working out for you. I am releasing mini-supplements for Ravenloft Reincarnated, but nothing in them is intended to be necessary for the base game to work.
For epub, you can use Calibre (open and free software) to convert from pdf to epub.
Problem is that you use multi-column with images (as usual with rpg products), and I never managed to get around this to get a correct epub.
If you can provide a pdf with only the text, or single column, I would gladly generate an epub (as well as the procedure and links to do it ;) )
i'll keep an etye on supplements (seen the tarokka one) :)
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

If anyone's interested, I've just started building an Obsidian Portal wiki for my currently-in-planning Ravenloft Reincarnated campaign, Ravenloft: The Shadow Fallen. It's going to be a while before it gets started, but my current group loves Ravenloft so it won't be a hard sell. Most of them have been with me through two or three long campaigns already; we took a couple of years away from the setting to focus on Exalted, but I'm starting to feel the itch to run horror again. =)

As a side note, I want to praise Obsidian Portal for being the best 5 bucks a month I spend on gaming stuff. Their premium membership is totally worth it, and having a wiki for each campaign I'm running or planning actually helps out a lot.
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

The mini-supplement detailing the Amber Wastes is still in process, but in the meantime as a Valentine's Day present, here's the newest drabble to come out of the writing lab: The Black Vault, a mini-supplement about magic items and artifacts in Ravenloft Reincarnated. Readers might even recognize a few old favorites from editions past!

As usual, the pdf has been submitted to the Fraternity for review, while I'm posting a link to my Google Drive copy here. Enjoy!

Ravenloft Reincarnated: The Black Vault
Fenris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Fenris »

nice addition :)
By the way I like what you have done with the clusters and islands. Looks easier to use and more 'coherent' shall we say