Time Dilation Adventure

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Time Dilation Adventure

Post by Ender »

I might be going crazy, but I swear I remember a Ravenloft adventure that featured time passing at different rates in different locations. Am I just completely misremembering something?
Joël of the FoS

Re: Time Dilation Adventure

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I see two of them at first thought. One is obviously Castle Forlorn, and the other Ashington Manor (in DT&DL).

Second is much simpler in scope, and fun (I DMed it).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

There's also a time distortion plot device in that short Baron Evensong adventure from the Book of Crypts, but, well, it's a pretty forgettable adventure IMO. :(

Maybe the Shadow Rift module? It features time dilation as a weird oddity of the Rift, but it's not a major plot element.
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

Joël of the FoS wrote:I see two of them at first thought. One is obviously Castle Forlorn, and the other Ashington Manor (in DT&DL).

Second is much simpler in scope, and fun (I DMed it).

Joël
I think that I was thinking of Castles Forlorn... even though it's not quite what I'm after at the moment. Ashington Manor is interesting, though!
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Out of curiosity Ender, what kind of adventure were you after? Was it a specific idea you want to try in your game?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Igor the Henchman wrote:There's also a time distortion plot device in that short Baron Evensong adventure from the Book of Crypts, but, well, it's a pretty forgettable adventure IMO. :(
Indeed, as written, it is a bit lame. But it can be a short, fun side trek with a few changes :

1) Evensong is lord of a pocket domain / oubliette (his manor), that somehow shift from domain to domain after a few days in each place. Evensong is a one-time adventure plot, so I really don’t see why he is having his own domain.

2) I also changed the adventure intro (no encounters with town folk warning them) and didn’t need to curse them with hallucinations to get to the Manor

3) other NPCs should be invited too, some the PCs knows and some who do not. These NPCs could be anybody - DM’s choice for role playing eventual panic after the time trap is set, but also could be used by Evensong as hostage threatening to end the PC’s harpsichord’s destruction. The adventure would be a bit less linear and trickier that way I think.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

From the shadows distorts time, in a way.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!