A weeked in heaven on Faerun HELP?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A weeked in heaven on Faerun HELP?

Post by Nox »

Hi!

i'd like to run a weekend in heaven for my players in the near future. How could I do it?
A brief summary:
They are all from ravenloft. Actually their character are decent friends and work well toghether. They obviously know nothing about other planes, and know very little about ravenloft. I would set up this Weekend in Heaven On Faerun (since it's the only setting i know well a part from ravenloft).

Do you have any advice on how to run one of those adventures? How to start it up? how to get them on Faerun and how to have them back on ravenloft at the end? how many information should i give them? should i let them know there is another plane or should i make them think that that land is just a far land they never heard about? (considere we have a wizard with high intelligence).
What kind of adventure should i ran to make the player feel the difference between RL and other settings (particularly Faerun in this case)?
Thanks in advance!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A weeked in heaven on Faerun HELP?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

you could run Castle Spulzeer and then bring them back to Ravenloft for The Forgotten Terror. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Faerun as comic book/Saturday morning cartoon D&D?

Seriously. Use the TSR Code of Ethics as your guide.
:)

Downplay or cut anything to do with social oppression or injustice---unless it's going on in a designated Bad Guy country.

Dress the villains in villain robes with eeeeevil spikes/bat collars/chains/etc.

Play up the hero-worship lavished on the big-name good guys and the fear felt toward the big-name baddies.

Despite all that fear of the baddies, the villains mostly seem to follow daft plans.

Supervillains lead villainous factions. The Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, etc.
(Canon)

Did I mention capes?

''Because I'm eeeeeeeevil!' is a perfectly sound motivation for a villain.
Also ''Ultiimaaaaate POWEEERRR!"

Gods show up pretty often and take direct actions. Like hooking up with mortals. And blasting stuff, sometimes.
Flat-earth Atheists get stuck in a hellish wall-construct in the afterlife (that's canon, BTW).
Pretty much everyone has a patron god.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

ewancummins wrote:Faerun as comic book/Saturday morning cartoon D&D?
Sorry, I did not get what you mean :lol:

Anyway, Thanks for the advices! I did not thought about the gods thing!
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:you could run Castle Spulzeer and then bring them back to Ravenloft for The Forgotten Terror. :)
I'm gonna check this out for sure!

ewancummins wrote:Dress the villains in villain robes with eeeeevil spikes/bat collars/chains/etc.
On ravenloft we know most of the bad guys are not dressed like superhero villains with strange spiked armor of the dead. They dress normal, often are nobles, people on power and so on. But there are exceptions, right? On ravenloft we have some fancy villain?

I dont like the TSR, since i mainly play ravenloft and it doesnt fit at all.
But I see why it fits a setting like Faerun.

Thanks all!