Edgar A. Poe MotRD netbook

Coordinating community projects

Would you like such a book to be made, but feel that you have no time/skill :) to work on the project?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Edgar A. Poe MotRD netbook

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello, servants of the Dark Powers and foes of the Red One!
:devil: bla...bla

:)

I am currently doing my *homework* for a MotRD 3.5 campaign based on Edgar A. Poe's stories and poems and I dreamed of publishing it as a netbook. (if there is no other way :weep:)
Now Poe's work is so large that I doubt that I can create an adventure out of every story, which at first was my goal.

Would you like to join such a project or can you direct me to people who would?

Thank you

Rafael

PS: This is a mirror of a thread I posted on the WotC Ravenloft boards. If you can't contact me by this thread, try here:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... ost5179346

Although, of course, I want this thing to be a project of the fraternity. :)
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Quite an ambitious proposal there, though one that would be interesting to take a look at. I think, for example, that "Murders in the Rue Morgue" or, particularly, "Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" could be very interesting. In fact, I have some ideas on MitRM, but I'd have to review the story to see if they jibe with it.

I had been thinking before of a similar *series* of articles, each one showcasing some of the more interesting developments of one particular period author (ones I wanted to do included E.F. Benson, M.R. James, Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen), and I could see adding Poe into this sort of series.

My reccomendation would be to maybe pare it back, just do some of the more prominent and Masque-ish Poe stuff rather than all of it. After all, "M. Valdemar" has more Masque potential than "The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether".

Definitely a worthy avenue, and I would be willing to help out with it depending on the angle we take.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I also have plans for MitRM, lol, seems a few of us have plans where Poe is in mind. However, the follow-up The Mystery of Marie Roget is also something I have a few ideas for. For that matter, I also have ideas for The Black Cat, The Oblong Box and a few others, maybe even a few of the poems.

My ideas are more to detail the characters involved and set up a sequence of events that could be used as side trecks, dread possibilities and so forth.

I wish you the best of luck with you Edgar Allan Poe netbook, it is something I would very much like to look forward to, Poe is probably my favourite writer if I don't think about Pratchett ;)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

My idea of that Poe netbook was that we don't write long adventures (which takes plenty of time), but shorter summaries of how the stories could be turned into hooks for a campaign.

I think it's not advisable to let people play the stories as kind of Edgar A. Poe campaigns - most of the MotRD fans might know the his works.
*I. E. you won't have fun playing an adventure called "The tell tale heart" if you already know where the heart can be found.*

I'd recommend that we select the the stories we consider the best for adventuring and make a campaign of 5 to 7 parts out of it.

The estimated players should not know with what kind of adventures they're dealing - so I plan to alter the stories and have them all set in one region.
(I am thinking about Paris, because of the Rue Morgue events, or about Boston, as Poe lived there for a while and as it was the place for the first 2nd ed. MotRD adventure.)

I'd not include the original Masque of the Read Death story into the work, however. The adventure *Crimson Death* of the original 2nd ed. box dealed with it in a nice way. Also, CR was meant to be the end of the MotRD campaign, a goal players IMC are not esteemed to accomplish in less than 2 years of gaming.

If you want to join me in the effort, please write an email to Rollenspieler.Enklave@web.de

But which stories ofPoe should be included in such a netbook?
More the horrific ones like Ms. Found in a Bottle and The Fall of the House of Usher, or would you like his detective stories to be realized?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I'd like to see some occult creature based on The Raven to appear in the book, okay, so everyone knows of the Raven, but it is a really strange creature. Something so foreboding just screams of gothic horror. It cuold even gaslight those who encounter them, driving those who encounter them along the path to madness.

The Fall of the House of Usher would be nice to see as well, some of my favourites couldn't really be covered, as they do not fit Gothic Earth, but there are lots that can still be covered :)
Swallow your soul!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

"The Cask of Amontillado": definitely a Living Wall.
"The Tell-Tale Heart": possibly a Living Wall with some sort of gaslighting ability.
"The Raven": going by Wiccy's suggestion - couldn't that be just a shapeshifting Horla?
"The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar": definitely should be there. Always one of my favorite Poe stories.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Edgar A. Poe MotRD netbook

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Desdichado wrote:Would you like to join such a project...
If only I had the time to devote to such a wonderful idea... :(. I envy you this project. And, I wish you the best of luck.

I look forward to the result :wink:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Le Noir Faineant

As soon as I find the time for it, I will do a poll on which stories you'd like to be in it...
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, at least that'll be something I can help with...
"When she embraces
And when she whispers
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Yep, even I can help with voting on a poll :)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

Last week was full of Real World struggles; so, the Poe Poll will have to wait until next WE.
Has anyone of you a new idea/wish concerning the book?

:cry: So much to work on...
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Desdichado wrote:Last week was full of Real World struggles; so, the Poe Poll will have to wait until next WE.
Has anyone of you a new idea/wish concerning the book?

:cry: So much to work on...
I don't have an idea or wish as such... it's more of a question actually. Do you intend to include any Poe-themed imagery or artwork in this netbook?
"When she embraces
And when she whispers

Post by Guest »

Poe-inspired artwork would indeed be nice -but I don't dare to think about the ARTWORK while the ARTICLES are still in question...
I imagined it ito fit with the latest QtR issues and the style of the old red Ravenloft boxes of 2nd ed. 8) But until that, it will be al a long way...

I collected a small number of articles (=concepts for aticles) that I'd like to do myself, but for the other stuff, I need help. :D YOUR help, perhaps....

If you'd like to write something concerning

- Poe's Raven (Wiccy :))
- The Fall of the House of Usher
- The domain of Arnheim
- The Haunted Palace
- the university where Poe spent his youth
- Boston at Poe's time
- A possibilty to continue the 2nd ed adventure "Crimson Death"

Then feel free to email me at Rollenspieler.Enklave@web.de so that we can discuss the details (that I can reveal my plans about the book a bit more...) :twisted:
Le Noir Faineant

That guest, of course, was me *Desdichado*... Damn traps in technological advancement...
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Anonymous wrote:Poe-inspired artwork would indeed be nice -but I don't dare to think about the ARTWORK while the ARTICLES are still in question...
I imagined it ito fit with the latest QtR issues and the style of the old red Ravenloft boxes of 2nd ed. 8) But until that, it will be al a long way...

I collected a small number of articles (=concepts for aticles) that I'd like to do myself, but for the other stuff, I need help. :D YOUR help, perhaps....

If you'd like to write something concerning

- Poe's Raven (Wiccy :))
- The Fall of the House of Usher
- The domain of Arnheim
- The Haunted Palace
- the university where Poe spent his youth
- Boston at Poe's time
- A possibilty to continue the 2nd ed adventure "Crimson Death"

Then feel free to email me at Rollenspieler.Enklave@web.de so that we can discuss the details (that I can reveal my plans about the book a bit more...) :twisted:
Looking over this now, I suppose I could find some time to assist. I'd like to detail the period Poe spent at university.

Expect my email shortly...
"When she embraces
And when she whispers