QtR Translation

Coordinating community projects
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

QtR Translation

Post by Jakob »

Hello to all the esteemed Brothers,

As you probably know (by looking at my nickname) I'm Jakob.
Bad start. :?

As you probably know, by looking at my personal data, I'm from Italy.
Bad as the first one. :cry:

Well, lets cut it short.
With a few other fan, I'm starting a Roleplaying website called "Ars Arcana", in which I'll be "head" of the Ravenloft section.
I wanted to ask for the (exclusive?) permission to TRANSLATE THE ARTICLES of the Quoth the Raven Netbooks (fanfiction included, of course).
The site wont be online for sometime (we still have to gather material and co-workers, not to mention other partners), so the translation and -if we have the permission- 3E conversion of the articles presented in the netbooks will take quite long (in the translation section we're only three, and only two are familiar with Ravenloft rules and setting :roll:).

For now, I only ask the permission and the authorization, not only from the Fraternity (we'd like to print an "Officially Authorized by th FoS" on our translation :lol:), but from the authors themselves.

Please answer soon. :)

Thanks for your time!
J

EDIT: I thought this was the best section in which open the thread... If I was wrong, please, move this anywhere you like. :)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That's a great idea.

However, the final result is a net book or a site ?

We definetively would prefer it to be netbooks, that we would host. The way to do it would be to take a QtR issue, then translate it and copy paste and keep the format.

Joël
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: QtR Translation

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Jakob wrote:For now, I only ask the permission and the authorization, not only from the Fraternity (we'd like to print an "Officially Authorized by th FoS" on our translation :lol:), but from the authors themselves.
As an author of several of the articles scattered through the Quoth the Raven series, I give you full permission to translate my submissions into other languages for other people to read.

As a member of the Fraternity of Shadows, I would definitely agree with Joel in that we would like to have copies of these translations to host here as well. Personally, I have no problem with your website hosting copies (especially if your team is willing to do the work). However, we would also like to have rights to these materials for our boards.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Re: QtR Translation

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:As an author of several of the articles scattered through the Quoth the Raven series, I give you full permission to translate my submissions into other languages for other people to read.

As a member of the Fraternity of Shadows, I would definitely agree with Joel in that we would like to have copies of these translations to host here as well. Personally, I have no problem with your website hosting copies (especially if your team is willing to do the work). However, we would also like to have rights to these materials for our boards.
Ditto.
Swallow your soul!
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Sorry for the delay in the answer, but I was in Turin till this morning. :?
However, the final result is a net book or a site ?
ça va sans dire, the result will be a netbook, so that you can host it on FoS. :)
The way to do it would be to take a QtR issue, then translate it and copy paste and keep the format.
Since you were kind enought to provide the .doc version (:)), the format will of course be the same, while the contents will be translated in Italian.
I have no problem with your website hosting copies (especially if your team is willing to do the work).
Of course we will.
However, we would also like to have rights to these materials for our boards.
I think this was crystal clear from the beginning, since you are the authors and publishers and editors... :)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

It is with extreme pleasure that I announce the beginning of the translation and conversion to 3.5 ruleset of QtR #1 (reloaded).
We hope to have it ready for the launch of the website.

Of course, every issue will be first sent to you, so you can have a look, and judge our work.

Thanks for everything, I hope this is the beginning of a good friendship... ;)
- Luis Sepúlveda
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

Hi there,
a similar situation. I prepare web site concentrated on Ravenloft. However I´m a fan of 2nd edition and I´m interested in official permission for translating and web publishing the Books of S.... (or parts of them) from Kargatane.
I tried to contact them but without any reaction. Could you, please, help me to get this permission or some direct contact. Thank you in advance for your effort.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Vannax wrote:I´m interested in official permission for translating and web publishing the Books of S.... (or parts of them) from Kargatane.
I tried to contact them but without any reaction. Could you, please, help me to get this permission or some direct contact.
For the most part, we don't have a lot of contact with the old moderators from the Secret of the Kargatane website. A few of them (for example, John Mangrum and Ryan Naylor) occasionally frequent these boards, but most of the e-mail addresses we have seem to be old or invalid. Unfortunately, this does not provide you with much help since they are the ones that you need permission from to rework the books.

Jakob wrote:It is with extreme pleasure that I announce the beginning of the translation and conversion to 3.5 ruleset of QtR #1 (reloaded).
We hope to have it ready for the launch of the website.
Good luck, Jakob! We'll look forward to seeing what you and your team can create.
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Vannax »

To Jason otF:
Thank you even for such information.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

No problem, Vannax! Hopefully, someone else around here might be able to provide a more up-to-date listing of contact information for the old Kargatane moderators. If nothing else, Stuart Turner would be the best one to contact about the details.

The only other suggestion that I could offer you would be to contact the individual authors about their specific articles. They could give you permission to translate and host their specific contributions. However, you would still need the Kargatane's permission to recreate the Book of S___ series.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Hi!

We're almost at 50% of the 1st netbook. As soon as it's ready, I'll send a copy to you, so you can review it. :)
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Ok, the translation is almost over (I translated 4/5 of the articles... :cry:).

May I ask one of the Esteemed Brother to write a little "opening speech" for this first Italian Quoth the Raven? :wink:
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Esteemed Brothers,

I renew my request: I need a little "opening speech" for the Italian edition of QtR #1. Can some of you think about it?

A second question: would you like to see QtRItalian with the (splendid!) layout of QtR #12 or rather with the old layout?

I'll await your answers before going on with impagination and layout. :)
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Guys, seriously... We cannot proceed until
A) We have your introduction to our Italian edition
B) We know something about the layout.

Please?
- Luis Sepúlveda
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Okay, I'm just seeing this thread now. In the future, it might be a better idea to send an email or private message for information so necessary for a project.

Why exactly do you need another Foreword for the netbook? There is already one in the book.
Next, how exactly would you copy the layout from the 12th issue?
Evil Reigns!!!!