The Final Breath-Studies of the Murderous Mind

Coordinating community projects
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Final Breath-Studies of the Murderous Mind

Post by Desertrising »

Hello all, a few years ago I started a thread about the idea of putting a bunch of murders into a netbook. There was some interest then personal events caused me to fall off the face of the planet (not really but close enough) and I kind of let this project slip by.

Well here I am again, but this time I have a gazillion times more experience in writing, editing and other useful things for a netbook. I also have a firmer idea about the project and a deep desire to see this through.

The Concept

The final Breath-Studies of the Murderous Mind is a book written by one Dr. Reginald Deveroux. Dr. Deveroux is an alienest who has made his life works studying not only murder, but the reasons it happens and those who commit these heinous crimes. In searching for answers he has collected a large amount of case studies that he writes about in his book.

Orginization

The book will be broken into the following chapters

Introduction- This will of course be Dr. Deveroux's introduction to the book. Why it was written and what its purpose is.

Chapter 1- The Anatomy of murder- This chapter will discuss the overall concept of murder and give some insight into his fledgling explorations into profiling.

Chapter 2- Murders of passion-This chapter will discuss people who murder out of passion. This will cover Rage killers and the like.

Chapter 3-Spree Murders- this chapter will concern itself with not only spree killings, but their perpetrator's and his own comments about what makes a spree killer tick.

Chapter 4-The Serial Killer-I will change the title of this chapter as soon as I can remember a better term. However, its contents will be pretty self explanatory.

Chapter 5-The Killer and the supernatural-This will discuss the effects of the supernatrual on killers. This will be where a lot of Ravenloft style mechanics will be found to help DM's build memorable killer villains.

Chapter 6-Catching a Killer-This will be a chapter devoted to giving the Players new feats, prestige classes, equipments and rules for use in the
Ravenloft campaigns.

Chapter 7-Who's Doomed-This will be where NPC killers and other such people will be detailed out.

Chapter 8-The killer Campaign-While the pun can be kind of fun this will see a title change as well most likely. THis chapter will aid a DM in running a campaign based on one or more killers. Also if possible I would like to include an adventure as well.

SYSTEM

While I would love to 4E this thing, the fact that wizards seems to be a bit confused about its GSL and Fansite policy means we will be using 3.5 rules.

What you can do to help

Basically the following things are needed.

Case histories: A detailed account of a murder. Try to use archtypes but don't limit your creativity. Feel free to consider monsters from the DOD and other sources as well. Once a case history is written we will discuss how it will be included. It can be in the form of a series of letters between the good doctor and the perpetrator, a police report or even an autobiographical account. Be creative as you want, but keep it both well written and pertinent.

New Mechanics: There are a bunch of you who love coming up with new concepts and mechanics. Feel free to send them in. Try to keep them focused on the subject and try to include some fluff as well.

chapter 8: This will probably take collaboration to the nth degree but if someone wants to tackle this or submit an adventure it would be appreciated.

A good editor-I can edit stuff but I would appreciate any help someone is willing to offer in this regard.

A good formatter-I don't know how to format something in PDF so I would love it if someone would be willing to help me learn how too do this.

What you will get

First you will help provide the community with another source for inspiration. One of the best ways to keep our beloved setting alive (undead?) is to release new and fresh material. The fraternity has done a wonderful job of doing this, but they are only a few people. It is up to us, the community to help out and give new blood once in a while.

Second, you will get full credit for any contribution you make. Many of you are aspiring writers, and as a full time free lance writer I know the value of a strong portfolio. While you can't point to this project as one you were paid for, you can still use it to show people take your writing seriously.

Finally, you will get the satisfaction of a job well done.

Submission guidelines

The first step if you are interested is to query me via the boards, PM, or email.

Once I receive your query I will comment on the idea and then ask for a full write up. Once the write up is roughed out I will throw a bit of an edit and send it back. We will go back and forth until the product is up to snuff (should be pretty quick) then included in the book.

I look forward to your submissions.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Nahuris
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Nahuris »

Maybe in place of Serial-Killer, you could use Compulsive-Killer ....

I'd be interested in looking into this

Nahuris
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I like that, or maybe Obsessive Murderer? but yeah if you want to look into this feel free to post your ideas here, or Pm them to me or what not. If we get a good firm idea we will have you right it up and see where it goes from there...
crazybantha
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by crazybantha »

Discovery Channel's Most Evil tv show might be a source of inspiration.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Thanks for the tip!
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I tend to run the serial killer game quite well...

I hope that is not a bad sign?

Anyway I am more than happy to contribute to the cause here and I think that I can come up with some dastardly, demented and otherwise vicious serial killers and murderers to complement your project... Just give me a little time to loot my DM notes and brain a bit...

Sincerly A G Thing

P.S. You might consider for a dread possibility side bar the addition of reference to child killings or use of legends such as the bogeymen from DT&DL as red herrings or such. Just a thought...
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I do like the side bar idea.

Also can't wait to see what you come up with...
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Oh and forgot to mention my first serial killer type guy.

The Lantern Light killer.

He kills families and leaves a bronze lantern as his calling card....
JDCorley
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by JDCorley »

Hey, how is this project coming along? I have some ideas that might be useful...any deadlines approaching?

*poke poke*
JDCorley
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by JDCorley »

Hmmm...okay, it looks like the creator has abandoned this project...so until he returns I am going to take it over! If you are interested in murder as plot element, get set to help contribute to the best netbook evar!
JDCorley
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by JDCorley »

Murder Scenario Format:

Here is what you need to contribute a murder scenario. It could go in any one of several sections of the book:

* Name of the scenario. Could just be the name of the killer, or some description of their motivation or their crimes. Example: Spring-Heeled Jack

* Summary of the crimes. One or two sentences at most, describing the type of killing.

Example:
Summary: A demented doctor-in-training murders a series of prostitutes, obsessed with the idea that they are spreading disease and filth through the gloomy city. His powerful and domineering mother covers up his connection and tries to thwart investigators.
* A narrative of the crime, including potential set pieces for PC interaction. Be sure to note where the crime takes place, and if it can be translated to other realms for other campaigns.

* A specific set of highlighted hooks by which PCs can learn more about the case.

Example:
1. Although his mother has loyal retainers, one of them begins to have pangs of conscience and leaves cryptic clues to be deciphered. His mother blames it on his developing psychosis and does not suspect the retainer.

2. The killer's lectures on germs and social disease, once passionate, are becoming increasingly unhinged. Eventually they are cancelled.

3. His mother attempts to frame a known felon who is living in the neighborhood by planting evidence in his rooms, then tipping off the authorities. The felon, while admittedly a violent and nasty character, lacks the surgical training needed to perform the mutilations.

4. One of the mutilations is interrupted by a drunken witness stumbling in. Although the witness' statements are rambling and incoherent, not of much value, the killer is obsessed with the idea that they are about to be arrested and begins to step up their activities.
* Stat blocks for important NPCs.

* Hooks for future scenarios or ways that the scenario can be modified to fit individual campaigns.

The standard campaign that you should be writing for is the "talented amateur investigator" campaign model, in which the authorities are somewhat cooperative but not completely forthcoming, and the player characters are considered people of integrity (whether this is true or not), and may even be renowned for their investigations. Other campaign models of course are possible and should be supported.

I'll post a couple more examples to get the juices flowing.