The Fair Folk - The Project

Coordinating community projects
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Hmm, perhaps the kappa could be a Blood Fey since he's not strictly murder. He represents the blood itself, not the killing.

The Teacher... I'll think on him some more and continue to welcome suggestions. Lessons/teaching sounds okay but I think there may be a way to pin him down a little better.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Hrm... Faerie and types can have some rather odd associations. Usually I use physical objects (general like earth or specific like a Dryad's tree), emotions (Terror-Fey, Vengeance-Fey) and certain emotionally powerful abstract concepts (Chaos, Murder), and a smattering of other notable concepts (Death is the biggie that doesn't fit anywhere exactly).

There's a relative multitude of Murder-Fey and Terror-Fey in the writeups because those concepts just lend themselves well to antagonist Faerie (their very essence is killing/scaring people, which puts them at odds with most PCs). For these guys...

The Teacher sounds like a Humility-Fey to me. His main purpose is to deflate arrogance, AKA increase humility. Lessons is a bit vague, whereas there's a method to the Teacher's madness.

The King of Flowing Blood should work as a straight up Blood-Fey. It actually fits both his murdering aspects (acquiring blood) and medicinal aspects (blood being important to a body's health).

I also have a sudden image of the King of Flowing Blood advocating yoga to get the blood flowing. I need to sleep more.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

Uploaded a typo-free version with various minor changes.

For the oriental fey, they'll need to use the same structure as the rest. Right now, I think the Tengu one only has Appearance/Research and the other one is just a long text.

Aside from that, I'll see if the three locations (well, the Court of the Fool is not exactly a full-blown one, but it's closer to a location than a NPC) can be 'standardized'.

We could stat up the kappa as well for the generic monsters.

Oh..and what is the relation of the Faerie with the Shadow Fey? You mention the Seelie/Unseelie Courts and the Law of Arak, but I'm not sure what their relationship is.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

EO wrote:Oh..and what is the relation of the Faerie with the Shadow Fey? You mention the Seelie/Unseelie Courts and the Law of Arak, but I'm not sure what their relationship is.
Haven't the foggiest idea. (How's that for letdown? :wink: )

On the whole, I'm neither very familiar nor very fond of the Shadow Fey as is, but I didn't want to divorce myself completely from Ravenloft canon.

Anyone have suggestions on a relationship?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

NeoTiamat wrote:Haven't the foggiest idea. (How's that for letdown? :wink: )

On the whole, I'm neither very familiar nor very fond of the Shadow Fey as is, but I didn't want to divorce myself completely from Ravenloft canon.

Anyone have suggestions on a relationship?
Hehe. So, we've got the Sylvan Fey, the Shadow Fey and the Faeries.

The Faeries seem to be more like a mixture of Boogeymen and Folklore Fey. They take form only to represent concepts and narratives.

Perhaps their entire society is like the individuals, a representation of concepts and narratives. They can use the Sylvan Fey / Shadow Fey narratives since it is what they are closer to and base their entire societies and relationships on that. The concept of Troops/Courts is something that is established and pretty much a part of all societies, so they'd be based on that.

Given that, I doubt the Shadow Fey or the Sylvan Fey would know exactly what these Faeries are, but they'd be aware of them.

What do you think?
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

All right, then. The Kappa is a Blood-Fey and the Teacher is a Humility-Fey.

I'll edit their writeups according to the standard format. I'll also be statting up the Kappa today and possibly the Onryo-bi as well.

I've got a half-done picture of the Onryo-bi on my computer, but I need to work with it more.

The Japanese-themed fey are definitely folklore creatures. They spawned because I was talking with Neo about how Japanese folklore spirits and ghosts very strongly resemble his ideas of fey, so I took several of them and added a few twists.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

The King of Flowing Blood Level 6 Brute
Small Fey Humanoid XP 1000

Initiative +6 Senses Perception +9; Darkvision
HP 276; Bloodied 138
AC 20; Fortitude 21, Reflex 21, Will 18
Immune ongoing damage
Speed 6, swim 8

[BM] Deep Rend (standard; at-will)
+9 vs AC; 2d8 + 4 damage and ongoing 5 damage (save ends) as the kappa opens a bleeding wound on the target.

[M] Vicious Rend (standard; at-will)
The kappa makes two Deep Rend attacks.

[M] Shell Bash (standard; recharge 56)
+9 vs AC; 3d10 + 4 damage
and the target is pushed 1 square and knocked prone. The kappa may use this ability as part of a charge.

[CB] Blood Stomp (standard; encounter) * Healing
Close burst 3; +5 vs Reflex; 3d8 + 4 damage and the targets are knocked prone. In addition, the kappa heals 5hp for each target hit by the attack.

Bloodrush (free; when first bloodied) * Healing
The kappa's Blood Stomp recharges and he uses it immediately.

Steady Balance
Whenever the kappa is hit by an attack that would knock him prone, the kappa makes an immediate saving throw. If the saving throw is successful, the kappa is not knocked prone. If the kappa ever falls prone, the water in his hollow rushes out and he is dazed until he can take a short rest in a body of water large enough for him to submerge in completely.

Alignment: Unaligned
Skills: Stealth +12, Athletics +14
Str 19 (+7) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 13 (+4) Int 18 (+7) Cha 13 (+4)

Equipment: none
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Let it be said that the first week back on campus is unpleasant and exhausting. Let it also be said that Mock Trial meetings are less than stellarly fun to attend every day. *sob*
EO wrote:Hehe. So, we've got the Sylvan Fey, the Shadow Fey and the Faeries.

The Faeries seem to be more like a mixture of Boogeymen and Folklore Fey. They take form only to represent concepts and narratives.

Perhaps their entire society is like the individuals, a representation of concepts and narratives. They can use the Sylvan Fey / Shadow Fey narratives since it is what they are closer to and base their entire societies and relationships on that. The concept of Troops/Courts is something that is established and pretty much a part of all societies, so they'd be based on that.

Given that, I doubt the Shadow Fey or the Sylvan Fey would know exactly what these Faeries are, but they'd be aware of them.

What do you think?
Eh... I have a feeling that adding an entirely new species of Faerie into the mix would be precisely the wrong thing to do. It raises the amount of complexity in the system to head-swimming levels.

The VRGttShadowFey opted to create the distinction of Sylvan and Shadow Fey because it created a new system of Faerie but didn't (for whatever reason) link existing Faerie like nymphs or pixies with it. If you added our own Faerie on top of that, you have three kinds of Fey with pretty arbitrary distinctions between them.

Personally, I would prefer to assume that the concept vs. narrative guidelines were global, that they apply to all Faerie, and that Shadow Faerie are merely a more organized group of connected narratives. Sylvan Faerie, for their part, are no more organized than this bunch, so both the Sylvans and our lot of thirteen are basically those Faerie that are not involved in Shadow Fey court life.

Essentially, consider these folks Sylvan, and assume that the differences between Sylvan and Shadow are purely narrative and/or Faerie cultural.

That said, I'm open to suggestions on how to break down the distinctions further.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Neo... Couple quick questions for art direction!

1: How much should King Hobs second form look like David Bowey from Labyrinth? If at all...

2: Would you prefer the False night to be on horse back or dragon back for the picture? Would you prefer the flame sword or the lance of lightining? Because the pose of both him and his mount changes dramatically with each weapon!

3: Has the gas lamps or other design issues been resolved in the Midnight Market layout through story or otherwise? Jeremy may be trapped in the Midnight Market and in a coma in Mordent but he has not been specifically stated to have come from any specific realm, so perhaps they do apply!?!

That is all for now! Please answer when you can!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

A G Thing wrote:1: How much should King Hobs second form look like David Bowey from Labyrinth? If at all...
*whistles innocently* Probably not too similar, else we're going to get sued for copyright infringement.
2: Would you prefer the False night to be on horse back or dragon back for the picture? Would you prefer the flame sword or the lance of lightining? Because the pose of both him and his mount changes dramatically with each weapon!
I believe my mental image had a rather threatening-looking Knight atop a horse, classic Death Knight style. That said, dragons are always impressive. Hrm... how's this for a visual:

You have the less fantastic Black Knight upon Black Horse as the 'actual' drawing, and then behind him you have a larger, shadowy/semi-transparent image of lightning-lance/dragon-back False Knight. Lets you have your cake and eat it.

This make sense? Practicable?
3: Has the gas lamps or other design issues been resolved in the Midnight Market layout through story or otherwise? Jeremy may be trapped in the Midnight Market and in a coma in Mordent but he has not been specifically stated to have come from any specific realm, so perhaps they do apply!?!
I think we're trying to go for an Edgar Allen Poe-type feel for the Market, though avoiding gaslamps or other noticeable instances of technology. (Mind you, Jeremy as Zherisian might actually make more sense for the look)

Anybody have a view on this? Zherisian or Mordentish or something else altogether?
EO
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by EO »

Mm, not sure. Now that I think of it, Paridon might be more fitting for Jeremy. It's a darker, gloomier place than Mordentshire (minus ghosts). And it'd make more sense for a patient to be forgotten in a Paridon sanitarium than in a Mordentshire one since there's a lot more people in Paridon than in Mordent.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I'll put these all up into a Google Document in the none-too-distant future, EO. I'm just being lazy. :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Hob Level 9 Elite Soldier
Medium Fey Humanoid XP 800

Initiative +7 Senses Perception +4;
HP 200; Bloodied 100
AC 27; Fortitude 24, Reflex 23, Will 21
Saving Throws +2
Speed 4; see also Goblin Enchantment
Action Points 1

[BM] Blackglass Rapier (standard, human form only; at-will)
+16 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and King Hob may shift 2 squares after this attack.

[BM] Obsidian Mace (standard, goblin form only; at-will)
+16 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and target is knocked prone.

[M] Double Attack (standard; at-will)
King Hob makes two basic melee attacks.

Goblin Enchantment (move; at-will) * Polymorph
King Hob can transform between the form of a slight, scholarly human and a corpulent, armored goblin. As a human, King Hob gains +4 to his speed and the Blackglass Rapier power. As a goblin, King Hob gains Regeneration 5 and the Obsidian Mace power.

[C] Grotesque Transformation (free, when King Hob first uses Goblin Enchantment; encounter) * Fear, Psychic
Close Burst 2; targets enemies; +12 vs Will; 3d10+5 psychic damage and the target is pushed 2 squares.

Unstable Enchantment (while bloodied) * Polymorph
Once King Hob is bloodied, roll a d6 at the start of his turn. On a result of 1-3, King Hob transforms into his human form. On a result of 4-6, King Hob transforms into his goblin form. These transformations do not require an action on behalf of King Hob, nor do they prevent him from using Goblin Enchantment to transform into the other form.

Skills Arcana +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Endurance +14, Intimidate +12
Str 16 (+7) Dex 13 (+5) Wis 11 (+4)
Con 20 (+9) Int 17 (+7) Cha 17 (+7)
Equipment sober, scholar's clothing and a rapier of black, semi-transparent glass or food-stained robs and armor and an obsidian mace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tactics King Hob usually begins combat by calling upon his vassals and servitors to aid him, and so usually enters combat surrounded by Ogre Savages (Level 8 Brute), Hobgoblin Soldiers (Level 8 Minion), or Worgs (Level 9 Brutes), with the odd Foulspawn Grue (Level 8 Controller) or Quickling Runner (Level 9 Skirmisher). King Hob's mob fights intelligently, but without organization or overall tactics.

King Hob wades into battle with abandon, regardless of form. As a human, he flits this way and that, slicing his blackglass rapier across the bodies of numerous enemies. As a goblin, he prefers to simply wade in and batter a foe to death, knocking them to the ground and pinning them there till nothing but a wet smear remains. King Hob usually burns his action point the first round he reaches an enemy, slicing away with four Blackglass Rapier attacks or pounding an enemy to the ground with four Obsidian Mace attacks. King Hob pays little attention to his enchantment until it begins to fray, rarely shifting forms until he is bloodied, though his penchant for being in the thick of battle means his Grotesque Transformation affects multiple foes.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Alright! At long last, I have uploaded the Fair Folk 4th Editio stats to Google-Docs, and sent them out.

Myself, Kage, Nathan, and EO have editing permission.

Sorti, Lostboy, and A G Thing have viewing permission.

I've also written up and put the Linnorm in there. I'll try and do te 3E stats later today.

Going through, I realize that a fair few of the stat blocks are still missing things like Alignment, Language, or more importantly Skills or Tactics, so I think I'm going to do the False Knight, and then do a few rounds of revision on the Faerie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, how's everyone's progress coming along? I know Lostboy has been working on designing us a page layout and a cover layout (which, I must add, looks delightfully Brothers Grimm-esque). Haven't heard a peep from most other folks in a while though.
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

For a Fey who is not supposed to be fought, this took a lot of time :D

The False Knight v1.1
Medium Outsider (Shapeshifter)

Hit Dice: 14d8+70 (133hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares) (or the Mount's speed while mounted)
Armor Class: 31 (+1 Dex, +4 natural, +11 +3 full plate armor, +5 silver shield), touch 11, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+20
Attack: +2 flaming bastard sword +22 melee (1d10+8+1d6 fire/19-20) or +2 shocking lance +22 melee (1d8+8+1d6 electricity/x3)
Full Attack: +2 flaming bastard sword +22/+17/+12 melee (1d10+8+1d6 fire/19-20) or +2 shocking lance +22/+17/+12 (1d8+8+1d6 electricity/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, frightful presence, fiery gaze
Special Qualities: Fair folk, summon mount, grandeur, share spells, oathbound, SR 25, damage reduction 10/cold iron, resistance to fire 10 and lightning 10, immune to fear, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision.
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +13, Will +16
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 21, Cha 22
Skills: Concentration +22, Diplomacy +31, Handle Animal +22, Hide -3, Intimidate +29, Jump +18, Knowledge (fey lore) +21, Knowledge (history) +21, Knowledge (the planes) +21, Listen +22, Move Silently -3, Ride +21, Spellcraft +21, Spot +22.
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Spirited Charge, Trample.
Challenge Rating: 14
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Possessions: +3 full plate armor, +2 flaming bastard sword, +2 shocking lance, silver shield (+3 large silver shield, also gives a +2 luck bonus to saving throws and makes the wielder immune to fear)

Combat

Fair Folk (Ex): The False Knight is considered a Fey by effects that affect Fey.

Frightful Presence (Ex): The False Knight can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the False Knight attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet are subject to the effect if they have less than 14 HD. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 23) remains immune to the Knight’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds.

Fiery gaze (Su): 2d6 fire damage and increase fear condition (from normal to shaken, from shaken to frightened, from frigthened to panicked) for 2d6 rounds, 30 feet, Will DC 23 negates fear and halves the fire damage. The save DC is Charisma-based. This is a mind-affecting, fear and fire effect.

Grandeur (Su): The False Knight always appears somehow more powerful and awesome than whoever is looking at him. To a child or peasant, he appears as a silvery knight upon a pure white horse, with a raised lance and drawn sword, though his shield bears no device. To a well-armed band of adventurers or mercenaries, the False Knight appears as a demon out of hell, riding upon the back of a bleak and dreadful wyrm, with a lightning bolt his lance and an inferno his sword. To an old wizard, wise in the ways of the Mists and a brother of shadows, the False Knight seems as Arawn himself. In any case, this ability gives the False Knight a +6 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. This is not an illusion and cannot be disbelieved; the False Knight is physically as he appears. Strangely, a true seeing spell does not reveal the Knight's true form, but shows only a weird silvery gray mist circling around him.
The False Knight's equipment, except its helm and shield, can change due to this ability; the equipment listed above is an example for the False Knight as seen by an adventuring party around level 10. If the Knight is killed or this equipment stolen, it slowly fades into silvery mist in 2d6 hours.

Summon mount (Sp): As a full-round action, the False Knight can summon his False Mount; the Mount appears in a free space able to support it within 45 ft., and the False Knight teleports on it in a riding position. If he wants, the False Knight can also sheat its sword and draw its lance as a swift action.
The False Knight can use this ability only if his Mount is not within 60 ft., but usually doesn't need it because he doesn't like to appear not mounted on his faithful Mount.
If the Mount gets killed in combat, the Knight cannot use this ability until the next Thursday's sunrise.

Share Spells (Ex): The False Knight may have any spell-like ability he casts on himself also affect his False Mount. The Mount must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the Mount if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the Mount again even if it returns to the Knight before the duration expires. Additionally, the Knight may cast a spell-like ability with a target of "You" on his Mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – expeditious retreat; 3/day – heal mount ; 1/day – ethereal jaunt. Caster level 14th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Oathbound (Ex): The False Knight can fight only enemies that are afraid of him. If his enemies show courage through their wit or willingness to fight, the Knight leaves. If the people he encounteres were particularly witty, before leaving he tells them a single short piece of information of great value to them.

The False Mount
Large Magical Beast (Shapeshifter)

Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (hp 84)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 40 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 25 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural, +9 +1 full plate armor barding), touch 10, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+17
Attack: Claw +12 melee (2d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (2d6+5) and bite +10 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Fair folk, grandeur, sense of purpose, SR 25, damage reduction 10/cold iron, resistance to fire 10 and lightning 10, immune to fear, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +4
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 17, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +10, Move Silently +3, Spot +9.
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack (claw).
Challenge Rating: -
Alignment: True neutral
Possessions: +1 full plate armor barding

Combat

Fair Folk (Ex): The False Mount is considered a Fey by effects that affect Fey.

Grandeur (Su): The False Mount's appearance depends on who is looking at it, as described into the False Knight's entry. In this example the Mount looks like a winged and clawed wyrm, covered in a blood-red armor, as seen by an adventuring party around level 10.

Sense of purpose (Su): The False Mount exists as long as it is mounted by the False Knight and fights at his side. If the Mount stays at more then 100 ft. from the False Knight, it begins dissipating in a silvery mist, losing 1 hp per round until it dies.
Last edited by Sorti on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Good to see you again Sorti!

Remind me never to meet this guy in a dark alley. *shudder* Only thought would be to add some details on the Fiery Gaze. If it full out Frightens people, then I'd recommend a note to the effect that it only affects a given person once every 24 hours, like Ghosts and some other monsters do. If it works every round (and is basically an aura), then I'd downgrade the Frighten to a Shaken for a round or some such.

Aside from that, I like. And horsie!!!