RLR: Spell Check

Coordinating community projects
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RLR: Spell Check

Post by WolfKook »

In earlier RLR posts, there was an ongoing discussion about the use of proper terms in the setting: Deepshadow pointed at the inconsistency of Yagno Petrovna being a man (If so, he should have been "Petrovich", otherwise, he should have been "Yagna"); Igor mentioned problems with the names "Richemulot", "Marcel Guignol" and "Hala", and impworks requested that the name "Mordent" should refer to the city, while "Mordentshire" should refer to the entire domain.

And though Igor also said that if we started correcting names we wouldn't said the end of it, I would like us to at least try it, perhaps just with the most blatantly problematic or erroneous.

So... Any names or terms that come to mind?
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

I have seen the DL of Monte Mal called "Rafaelle"; the correct Italian is "Raffaele".

Also, the toymaker of Odiare should be named "Giuseppe" not "Guiseppe", and the town elders should be "Rodolfo" and "Gisella"
Last edited by Sorti on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RLR: Spell Check

Post by Igor the Henchman »

WolfKook wrote: Igor mentioned problems with the names "Richemulot", "Marcel Guignol" and "Hala",
To be fair, that was in the context of running the game for a french-speaking group (which mine happens to be). They are grammatically correct and sound OK in English. I'm not advocating to change them, since you can't optimize all names for all languages. There's always going to be quirky moments. TecGoblin recently informed me that the word "Barovia" had a comical meaning in Greek, for example.

Still, while we're red-penning, off the top of my head: change "Marais-d'Tarascon" to "Marais de Tarascon".