A halfling walks into the Cafe

The Halfling campaign
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Making a mental note about the dark figure, Vincent rises from his cushion, to formally greet the new figure of authority. His face cast in stone with an unreadable expression, he bows slightly introducing himself and his companion.

"Greetings sir. I am Vincent Reighnheart and this is my companion Gabriel Rayne. We have been sharing our dreams with Mr Renaldo. Disturbing dreams if I may add. It seems that we have found some common ground with the other patrons and so the conversation trailed off to the influx of nightmares..."

Casting a glance at Gabriel whose eyes sparkled with interest, he adds.

"Our areas of expertise are wide indeed and we have much experience in dealing with various kinds of... problems. We would be glad if we could prove to be of any assistance in this strange case, Mister...?"
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Gabriel rises from his seat to greet the newcomer, a friendly smile on his face.

"Good evening, sir! I assure you, there's no problem. In fact, we would very much like to hear of this strange occurence, especially if it's more than simple coincidence and something can be done about it. That is, of course, if you have no problem talking about it."

He invites the older man to join them with a motion of his hand, before turning to both father and son.

"Would the two of you like something to drink? We would very much like it if you joined us..."
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

?Mr. Reighnheart. Mr. Rayne. ? the older man greets them with a slight nod of his head. Listening to their words, the man seems to be reading their posture and gestures for any signs of deceit or hostility. Yet, both Vincent and Gabriel feel as if the older man is looking far deeper than merely their stance. It feels as if his steel blue eyes burrow into their minds and souls.

?I greatly appreciate your offer to join you for a drink and some conversation, but there is much work to be done tonight. With the sudden onslaught of bad dreams, we?ve been very busy in providing our services.? Turning his attention away from the two adventurers, the older man stares at Renaldo with a cold and stone-faced look. ?Speaking of which Brother Renaldo, you should finish gathering the tonight?s contributions and begins categorizing them. I would like to personally read the most current batch of events.?

?Yes, Father,? Renaldo replies with a lower bow than he gave earlier. ?I will finish the report and have it to you as soon as I am done here.?

?Very well,? the older man agrees before looking back at Vincent and Garbriel. ?Enjoy your evening and drinks, and you are welcome to stay as long as you need to. I hope that you find peaceful dreams in the near future.?

Without giving them a second glance, the older man walks away leaving Renaldo standing with the others; his face slightly red from embarrassment.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Gabriel seems somewhat disappointed, though, whether it is due to the older man's refusal of his offer or the fact that his curiosity was not satisfied, it cannot be said. With a sigh he turns to Renaldo, smiling apologetically.

"I'm sorry if we have offended him or if we have caused you any trouble. Will you be going on with your story about the nightmares? Unless of course you have other things to attend to..."

With that the swordsman sits back down and takes his cup in his hand.

"Of course the offer for a drink still stands."

With a slight smile he brings his cup to his lips.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Renaldo rubs his face with the palm of his hand as he looks back to Gabriel and Vincent. The redness leaving his checks as the younger man calms down after the short reprimanding. With a slight smile, he sits down as well. "No, there is no need for either of you to apologize. Father Melbourn is correct in reprimanding my behaviour. I tend to let my tounge produce more than what it should, and my job should be to listen and write."

"Besides," Renaldo lowers his voice as he looks over both shoulders, "Father Melbourn has attained the rank of 'Dark Dreamer' and I am merely a 'Light Sleeper.' To have gained such a rank, he has had to endure a great deal of training and proven himself time and again. I will not question the wisdom of one such as he. However, we could use some extra help..."

Renaldo's face reddens a little bit again as the thoughts of his scolding come to mind. "If you do not mind, I think that I will take your offer of a drink."
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Gabriel rises and heads to the bar. Moments later he is back with a cup of wine, which he sets on the table in front of Renaldo before taking his seat again.

"There you go! Barovian red. I'm sure you'll like it!"

Taking a look at Vincent, who seems to be enjoying his drink, he then turns to the young man.

"So, care to go on with your story? Also, I'm sure we wouldn't mind hearing a few details about the Order you seem to belong to. If that's alright of course..."

Vincent, always the detective, waits to hear what Renaldo has to say, intent on absorbing anything the young man tells them, as well as trying to discern any falsehoods in the story.
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Taking some time to take the situation into consideration, Vincent appears sceptical. Renaldo seemed sincere, if rush, and he and Gabriel would be more than willing to help the young man... But how could they possibly override the apparent leader's decision?

"Oh, by all means, we would appreciate you company. I would also be interested in learning more about your Order, provided you are permitted to speak of such things... And the conversation about the nightmares did not trouble us at all. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns. As I said to Father Melbourn, we might prove to be of some assistance after all."

With these words he casts another look at the room to make sure no one was paying them any undue attention.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Renaldo takes the proffered cup of Barovian wine and sips from it a couple times before he begins answering Gabriel and Vincent?s questions. While the young man?s face has returned to its normal color, it is apparent to both men that he is still slightly flustered. Taking a deep breath, he begins to provide what information he can.

?To be correct,? Renaldo starts, ?Father Melbourn and I belong to an organization and not an order. At least, we do not belong to an order in the sense that the two of you might be thinking. We are monks, but our monastery ties lie outside of this place.?

?The organization,? Renaldo continues, ?is called La Confrerie des Reveurs. It is small organization that could be found in many of the greater cities of the Core and even in some of the cities that lie hidden within the Mists. La Confrerie des Reveurs was founded over one hundred and fifty years ago by a bard, who was interested in the power of dreams. Through his travels, this bard found that dreams tended to have certain trends and meanings. Even in different lands with separate cultures, he noticed that certain aspects tended to be similar. After several years of research, this individual decided to form a society of likeminded individuals to help him study and explain dreams and their patterns.?

?Over time, La Confrerie des Reveurs has become more of a social club than an academic organization.? Renaldo frowned slightly after saying this. ?This is part of the reason Father Melbourn has grown impatient with those of us who do not refrain from being so social. Most people come here to discuss dreams with one another in a casual and comfortable environment. If they are having bad dreams or nightmares, then someone might be able to help interpret or ease the images.?

?The true purpose of the organization, however, is to gather as many dreams as we can in order to understand and unlock the truth behind them. Information is power, and the organization hopes to provide humanity with it.? Renaldo pauses for a few moments to let the information sink into Gabriel and Vincent?s minds. He knew that the words were not hard to understand, but most people dismissed the concept as ludicrous and a waste of time.
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Both men listen intently to Renaldo's story of his organization and with obvious interest. They show no sign that they find such ideas ridiculous; anything is possible and the world is full of strange, though quite real, things. Indeed they only seem interested in hearing more, especially about whatever seems to have befallen the people of this town. Surely a member of such an organization must have at least some insight into the matter.
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Vincent takes another long sip from his wine, as he contemplates what Renaldo already told them. How very interesting... They might actually learn something that could prove to be of some use to their ventures.

"Have your efforts met with any success by now? I mean, have you actually unlocked any patterns behind people's dreams? Are you able to help people escape from the clutches of persistent nightmares? Our experience has shown us that sometimes dreams have indeed some meaning, but it seems that you have gone much further. Please, tell us of your findings."
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Gabriel turns to his friend smiling, a look of amusement on his face.

"That's a lot of questions Vincent! Relax... Give the poor guy a moment to enjoy his drink! I'm sure he'll go on in a minute."

With that he turns to Renaldo once more with a smile and a wink.

"You'll have to excuse my friend. Old habits die hard, if ever..."

Though he knows there is probably no reason for an apology since the young man's story is bound to raise a few questions, he nevertheless enjoys having a little fun with his more serious friend now and then. As far as he is concerned though, Vincent is usually such a bad sport, not rising to the bait.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

?Thank you,? Renaldo say to Gabriel as he takes an extra moment to sip his wine and formulate the answers to Vincent?s questions. It doesn?t appear as if the young man is trying to fabricate any lies, but he does seem to be hesitant about either what he says or how he says it.

?The organization has met with some success over the past hundred years or so. Some of the foremost dream analysts and psychologist come from our ranks. In addition to the education, some of the order?s members have even learned the basics of dream creation.? Renaldo paused for a moment. Scratching his chin, he thinks for a moment and then continues on. ?I would actually say that they have learned a unique form of hypnosis, but there is no denying their adeptness at lucid dreaming.?

?Using this knowledge and technique, we have been able to help ease persistent nightmares in some people. Unfortunately, it is a very individualized process. While patterns exist within the dreams, every person?s mind is a unique place.? Renaldo peaks around his shoulder again before continuing in a hushed tone. ?This fact makes me think that there is someone influencing the people directly. Since everyone seems to see the same dark robed individual lurking in his or her dreams, I am starting to believe that someone is implanting ideas in their waking minds.?

Renaldo sighs softly. ?The problem is that I don?t know how somebody could effect so many people without them recognizing him. He would have to be very clever and excellent in the art of disguise to not show any distinguishing marks??

??but I am beginning to digress,? Renaldo says as he begins to stand up. ?I apologize for not staying with you longer, but my duties await. If you could check into this matter, I would be very appreciative. I?m not sure what you might be able to find out, but it seems almost certain that this plague of nightmares is being instigated from an external force.?

Noticing Father Melbourn walking through the assembled people, Renaldo nods to Gabriel and Vincent and heads off to a back room with his small ledger in hand.
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Taking another sip of wine from his cup, Gabriel grins and turns to look at Vincent.

"Ah, a mystery! I like mysteries! They're quite interesting usually... Then again, there's of course the little thing about a doppleganger hunting us. What should we do? Any ideas? Oh, decisions decisions..."

With a somewhat fake and exaggerated sigh of exasperation he waits for his friend's contribution to this situation they seem to have found themselves in.
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Vincent seems to be deep in thoughts already. He raises his head to look at Gabriel with a weary look.

"Well, we seem to have a knack for running into trouble, haven't we? What Renaldo said is surely quite interesting, or even disturbing, depending on your point of view. But I wonder... He claimed that someone must have affected the minds of the people, when they were awake. I wonder if someone or something is affecting the people while they are asleep..."

Stifling a deep yawn, he looks around

"I am exhausted. Shouldn't we find a place to get some sleep? Perhaps our dreams will give us some clues after all, no?"
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

"Well, we could rest here. The bartender told me we could stay the night in this room. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be right back..."

Getting up, Gabriel walks to the donation box. Leaving what he considers to be an appropriate amount of coin, he returns to the table and sits on his pillow again.

"Now that that's taken care of we can rest. I think we shouldn't let our guard down though. How about sleeping in turns? This way one of us will be awake to not only watch for newcomers, but also watch the other one while he sleeps."

Taking a look at the weary expression on Vincent's face, he knows how the turns should be arranged.

"You get some sleep first and I'll wake you when it's your turn. What do you think?"