A halfling walks up the mountain (2)

The Halfling campaign
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

A halfling walks up the mountain (2)

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Rook moans slight as Desilda goes to him. While she can see that his injuries aren't severe, it is difficult to determine just how battered and bruised he was. In addition to a nearly comatose rescuer, the Invidian courtesian can here others moving around in the darkness of the pit. Whether these things are friend or foe has yet to be determined...
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

Desilda moves in to check further on Rook, her eyes darting in the virtually black cavern. So little light was available that she couldn't get a god idea what was out there with her.

Rolling over Rook, she realizes her initial prognosis was not correct. The right side of his face is a bloody mess, and a bit of his skull is visible. One of his eyes is white and unfocused. And his right arm is bent at a most unnatral angle.

Desilda realizes that her own leg doesn't feel very well either.

In the shadows...an evil snickering can be heard.
Chartreuse
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chartreuse »

The Invidian woman stiffens at the sound. Without taking her eyes off the dancing shadows of the cavern, she reaches for some sort of weapon in the rubble. She winces as her hand closes on a very sharp object. At least she had found one of Rook's blades.

She rises unsteadily on a very tender ankle, and moves protectively in front of her companion's unconscious form.
RAOUL: Christine! That’s not your dad! That’s just the Phantom!

VOICE FROM THE DAAÉ TOMB: NO IT’S NOT! I’M TOTALLY HER DAD! DADDY LOVES YOU, CHRISTINE!
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Albert slowly crawls into Desilda's view. During the fall with the Fir Darrig, he took a fair amount of damage from the creature's claws. While he feels horrible, and hurts all over, he's alive, and nothing is broken. Or so he hopes. The Fir Darrig did manage to break his fall, but Albert didn't escape the fall unscathed. He pulls himself to a rock, and rolls into a sitting position next to it.

In what little light there is, Albert's eyes glow a faint red. They do nothing more than to show where he is, and it's obvious that he's not moving any time soon.

How bad is he? The language is Mordentish, and Albert's accent gives away his homeland as Dementlieu. I hope he's in better shape than he looks.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Chartreuse
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chartreuse »

"He's suffered a critical head injury...", the woman replies in the Richemuloise dialect, the only 'Mordentish' she knows. Eyes darting from shadow to shadow, she adds, "Don't let down your guard just yet. We are not alone here."

VOICE FROM THE DAAÉ TOMB: NO IT’S NOT! I’M TOTALLY HER DAD! DADDY LOVES YOU, CHRISTINE!
Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

Rook moans, clearly not dead. But Desilda doesn't doubt that he will be soon if he doesn't recieve medical care soon.

In the darkness, they hear a voice. "Is your friend hurt?" says Bianca, the Barovian priestess who'd been a prisoner w/ Desilda. "I will ad him how best I..."

He sentence is cut short with a blood-curdling scream. There is a thud, and evil laughter fills the room.
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Albert peers into the darkness on all sides. White lines against a background of black reveal everything that would otherwise be cloaked in shadow, or at least things that are relatively close. He scans side to side, looking for the source of the laughter.

After a moment, he struggles to his feet, and moves over to collect his halberd. There is a wet, sucking sound coming fron the darkness near him, then he reappears in the range of the light. He continues to look around for the source of the laughter. His eyes also scan for Xylia.

The game is over, mon ami. Show yourself.

He moves closer to Rook and Desilda, eyes still scanning the area.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

Albert's uncanny eyes see a shape moving towards them very slowly.

"You speak of one..." it says. Suddenly, another appears at its side.
"But one is two..." it says. Another two appear.
"And two is four..." They say in unison. Another three rise from the rubble, one holding the limp body of a woman in his claws.
"And four is more."

A total of seven Fir Darrig have survived the fall, and they can apparently see in the darknes much better than the heroes can.
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Albert retreats a step towards Desilda and Rook, looking about to make sure he knows where all of his opponents are. They already shrugged off the flames, but the fall couldn't have done them much better than it's been for everyone else.

A drop of blood falls from the point at the end of his halberd, landing in the dirt without a sound, but forming a very noticeable spot there. That blood comes from what could have been an eighth opponent, but landing on the halberd was far worse than the fall itself.

It shall be one soon enough.

While he doesn't know where, he knows that Xylia can't be that far away. This is, of course, assuming she survived the fall.
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

Albert's sharp eyes detect slight movement behind the Fir Derrig. The beast on the far left suddenly collapses onto his front, a dagger sticking from his back.

"And now, my friends, the time is here
To banish anger, doubt, and fear!
Let's fight these brutes with our very best,
And then we all may take a rest."

The bantering voice echoes around the darkness. The creature two from the right falls.

"Oh you poor thing, did you get hurt?
And now you're lying in the dirt.
Where there were seven, now are five.
How much longer can you stay alive?"

The Fir Derrig search the darkness and spot the woman quickly circling towards her companions. They rush towards her with their fangs bared. Standing in front of the fallen Rook, Xylia pulls out her rose-gold disc and shouts. The Fir Derrig slow and stop. They turn.
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

Xylia can feel the devilish beasts pressing against her holy force...and though their numbers had thinned, they clearly had lost none of their infernal potency. Xylia feared that before too long, the things would force their way through her holy might.

Perhaps sensing her weakness, one of them tosses something at her, in the darkness. Xylia recognised it as one of Bianca's arms...still twitching.
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Albert steps up to the closest one, taking full advatange of the somewhat higher ceiling in this area. The blade of the halberd whistles throught he air, and hits with a rather solid thump. With a twist of the blade, Albert tosses the body aside, and brings his weapon to bear at another one of the creatures.

This is a little more even.

The Fir Darrig have been a bit more concerned with Xylia's holy symbol to notice something that should be easily obvious to Desilda. Albert is favoring his right side, as if something on his left might be bothering him.
Chartreuse
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chartreuse »

Ignoring the acute pain that shot through her entireleg as she shifted her weight, the courtesan quickly advanced towards one of the smaller creatures. Slitting the creature from midsection to almost it's throat, she shuffled back a few steps in retreat as it fell to it's knees, gurgling slightly. That was one..but now she'd lost any element of surprise that she might have had.

Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

The final Fir Darrig stepped back and forth, making it impossible to guess in which way he might attack.

With blinding speed, the beast grabbed Albert by the chest and sank his claws deep, drawing fierce rivulets of blood. Claws hooking around the man's ribs, the fir darrig tossed Albert into Xylia, knocking her senseless. Wit the two clear threats disabled, the thing slammed into Desilda like a bull, knocking her down and bruising her badly. The thing closed in, leering...

"Thought my pretty poppet had squirmed away,
But now your friends are wormfood, and I..."

Suddenly, Desilda saw the point of a rapier pierce through the beast's skull and its eyes rolled back. As it dropped, Desilda saw Rook behind it, propped up on one arm, with his rapier dropping out of his hands. He smiled weakly, gurgled something, and dropped back to the ground
Chartreuse
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chartreuse »

The Invidian rushes to her fallen friend's side and gently turns his head to look at the wound. She had no idea of how to mend this type of injury, but decided at the very least she should try to stauch the flow of blood. Picking at a stray thread on her ripped shirt, she managed to tear away one of the sleeves. Using it as a bandage, she carefully begins to wrap it around Barnabus's head.

She looks over her shoulder to see if either Albert or Xylia will be able to aid her.