*cough* *cough* *sputter* (Other)
13%

Total votes: 15

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Netbook Reviews

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

A common problem we seem to have within the halls of this manor is the lack of reponse to the various books we create for our library. Now, I don't know if the silence is due to the fireball boobytrap we keep on the library door or due to the lack of energy on the part of our guests (we know how tired one gets when Drusilla chases you for half the night). However, I am interested in hearing more on how we can augment this process. A lot of time and effort goes into the creation process, and we cannot learn if we do not hear more.

So sit down, have some warm brandy, and please enlighten me on the situation... :twisted:
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Sad, but true. Most people you see commenting on the netbooks are the authors themselves. Here's how I would tend to explain it.

From a bystander's perspective, reading enough of the free netbook releases to enjoy the information within is one thing, to throughtly form an opinion strong enough to be posted on these boards is another. The phenomenon dates back to the SotK days.

This leads me to conclude, that, as sad as it may sound, creators of netbooks shouldn't expect tons of constructive comments at the release of their work. That is not to say that constructive reviews aren't a great and valuable thing to have. But oftentimes you just have to live knowing your work will not get much reward besides being read by members of the community. For author ego, very little room is left.

Note that the situation is different for official products. These, since they cost actual money, tend to receive far more feedback from the customers.
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

Or should I say, I do leave feedback on the articles... when I read the netzine. Sometimes I just don't. Maybe because I don't like the theme. Maybe because I read one article and it so horrifies me that I can't continue. Mostly, though, it's because I work too darn much and don't feel like reading and reviewing articles in my spare time sometimes.

However, since nothing gets better if it continues on the way it always has been, I hereby promise to post a review of at least three articles per netzine. And, no, that does not include my own or my husband's. :P
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

You didn't like Malwid's Guide to the Abberrant? :cry:

I don't review due to time. Reviewing something properly takes me time (those Masque reviews I did for the site took me about an hour each).

But maybe I can try to review one Masque article every issue. I say Masque as I'm trying to build it up (I won't let it die again!) Afterall I've recently bought some new music and music helps me write reviews. :wink:
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Coan wrote:You didn't like Malwid's Guide to the Abberrant? :cry:
this was one of my all time favorite articles. others include:
the discussion of feudalism in RL (i'm a history major)
the expanded cultural/tech levels in RL
the paths of corruption for seacreatures like the sahaguin, reavers,etc
new varieties of calibans
reports on fihrs from issue 11
the entire issue on ancient egypt (not one bad article)

i know this isnt a comprehensive analysis, but i have to turn in a proposal for my graduate history class. my bad.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Needful Things

Post by Shoon VII »

from issue 7 was an excellent companion piece to the Fiend of Corruption prestige class from the Fiend Folio (which, in and of itself, was an expansion of material originally presented in VR's Guide to Fiends). what was so strong about this piece was that it did not recreate the wheel by providing additional and uneccesary game mechanisms but focused instead on contextualizing those mechanisms. While the VR books focus on the "monster", this article by Stephen Sutton provides us with the motivations of the average human for dealing with extraplanar entities. In doing so, he shifts the focus from the fiend as monster to the human as monster and allows DMs and players to fully appreciate the type of horror that is featured in the classic gothic tales (and other genres such as film noir where the average citizen falls into temptation). The section on Fiendish gambling habits was an unexpected and welcome surprise.

One of the strengths of this article is that it seems to be written from the perspective of a character with the inside track on fiends in RL ... Drigor perhaps? This is comprimised, however, by the "in-game" references within the body of the text. The grey box for game mechanics or end notes would have been more appropriate. Some of the negative effects of selling one's soul can appear to be a boon for PC's: immunity to certain necromantic magic, immunity to srying, etc. This article was strong enough on its own to do without the many references to pop art: the fiddler on the roof, the power of the darkside and the very title of the article. While catchy, these references quickly lose their luster and become almost campy.

THERE ... you see Frat boys, we do read and think critically about the stuff you write!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

First and foremost, I would like to take a moment to thank those of you who have taken the time to vote and/or leave some reponses. There is a benefit to knowing how to improve our projects even if it is just to knowing that we aren't going to get much feedback. I would also like to thank you for offering your commitments to help us out on future issues... Cheers!

Second (but not any less important), I would have to say that Igor seemed to hit the nail on the head. We've never really expected much feedback on any of the projects, especially since we never heard much even at the Malodorous Goat (and the little we heard oftentimes wasn't constructive). I suppose that we should assume that "no news is good news" in many of the cases. I guess the bigger questions comes down to: "Do people even take the time to read the projects/books that we release?"

Hmm... Perhaps, we should start charging for our services. :wink:
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: . I guess the bigger questions comes down to: "Do people even take the time to read the projects/books that we release?"
Have to admit a "not that often" on that one. When a new QtR comes up, I usually download it, read the intro, then a couple of articles that seem most interesting to me, then leave it lie. Still, I saw my interest in the netbooks improve with the growing quality of articles found within the last couple of issues. So I guess I'm warming up to it. Not the best of compliments to offer for the excellent work of the Fraternity members, but a survey is a survey, and a honest response is all I can offer.

Very much looking forward to the CotN project, btw.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: "Do people even take the time to read the projects/books that we release?"

Hmm... Perhaps, we should start charging for our services. :wink:
please dont charge. this game is a labor of love for all of us: player and DM alike.

i read them. i must admit that i'm afraid to read the fan fiction because i'm worried that i will be overly critical of the writing. articles that i find useful (at least 2-3 per article) i incorporate into the way i think about gaming rather quickly.
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

"Do people even take the time to read the projects/books that we release?"

Not only do some of us read them we even have them printed out in color and then bound for our own use :D . Granted I was'nt all that impressed with some of the QtR's but on a whole I love them and the info they bring can be and is a great help to my campaign. So keep up the great work.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

maraudar wrote:Granted I was'nt all that impressed with some of the QtR's but on a whole I love them and the info they bring can be and is a great help to my campaign. So keep up the great work.
Thanks, Maraudar! However, we need to give a big hand to all of the authors (beyond the Fraternity members) who contribute to the netbooks and other projects. We, the Fraternity, might pull it all together into a presentable package, but it wouldn't be possible if we didn't get the contributions and support from the community.

I suppose that is why I am pushing this issue as much as I am. It isn't just a matter for the website moderators to know that the products are used, but the authors need some confirmation that their work isn't being produced in vain... which, despite the small reponse rate, doesn't seem to be the case.
Shoon VII wrote:please dont charge.
No worries, Shoon! I was only kidding, and it is unlikely that we would ever charge readers for our products.
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

I will gladly put my two cents in. As Marauder wrote... Some of us have printed them out, and done other spectacular things with the works from this site. I too find use of certain QTRs better than the others, buteach of us focus more on certain areas. I use a lot of desert campaigns and thus #5 was of great use to me.

Please keep it coming...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I voted "lack of time." part of it may be that the QtR's come so fast and furious, compared to the BoS or USS. I read them, but by the time I do, the next one is out...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

gonzoron wrote:part of it may be that the QtR's come so fast and furious, compared to the BoS or USS.
To play the devil's advocate: :twisted:

Do you think that fewer issues a year would be more beneficial? For example, three issues coming out every four months versus four issues coming out every three months...
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

that's one issue less per year? maybe. people who havent posted responses/feedback/critiques probably wont post them even with the additional time. so i think that's a moot point.

however, if the additional time gives the writers and editors more time to improve the product and the fans more time to vote on what themes they would like explored, then by all means do so.