Next netbook from the Fraternity

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks

Which project would you like to see in the next netbook?

Fearful Fables: Local legends and the creatures that spawned them
34%
What lurks beneath: Horrors of the Ravenloft underdark
22%
Gangs of Nartok: criminal operations throughout the core
15%
Secrets man was not meant to know: Mad scientists and their monstrocities
25%
Other: Please discuss below
3%

Total votes: 67

ScS of the Fraternity

Next netbook from the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi all,

With the changes made to scheduling, the next netbook coming from the fraternity will be released on October 31st, 2005. We do not have a set due date as of yet, though the tentative due date will be October 1st.

Until then, we will be looking into a variety of projects to help attract articles. One such idea is a callout for compilation articles. These compilations could be centered around one concept and include multiple author's additions to the same topic.

Take a look at some of the above proposals and maybe we can arrange one or two of them to be in the next book.
Evil Reigns!!!!
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

I know it'll probably get voted down again, but I had to vote for the Ravenloft Underdark. The Underdark of the Forgotten Realms is so strange, so alien, that I'd love to see a Ravenloft spin on it.

That being said, it seems the main problem most everyone has with a RL Underdark is that creatures like the drow and duergar are not really good fodder for being domain lords--they're so callous and brutal that the crime that condemned Strahd to the demiplane takes place among them almost every day.

That being said, what about a svirfneblin domain lord (half-joking, but also half serious)?

Or, why not a slightly different spin to it? Focus less on an Underdark domain and more on the sorts of creatures you might find there. Adapted hook horrors, deep dragons, deepspawn, cavelights, etc.

Failing this, I'd like to see more on the organized crime operations throughout the Core. Sometimes we do forget that the most horrific element in our nightmares can be another human being.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

I went with the criminal groups myself.. Id love to see some of that.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'compilation of articles'. Is it something like the Chilling Encounters netbook? If it is, I see it as even more restrictive than the old Quoth the Raven.

As for the theme, I have no real preference. In my opinion, the Fraternity should simply pick one, based on what they think will be most interesting.

I'd note, however, that "Fearful Fables" is pretty close to the Bogeyman theme of QtR11, while "Gangs of Nartok" is close to "The Evil that Men Do" of issue 10, albeit narrower.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well I guess I should write an article for this one with so much time available. Perhaps I shall use something from my campaign.

There was that 'Ravenloftian' version of SEELE I was going to try out.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
ScS of the Fraternity

Igor the Henchman wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'compilation of articles'. Is it something like the Chilling Encounters netbook?
Not at all, my good man. Compilation articles will be more like the contests that the Kargatne used to run for their Books of S_. Once a general idea is given, the editors will accept submissions to it.
For example, one article might be a collection of NPCs, each NPC written by a different author.
The result is just one article, which is included in the netbook alongside of other articles.

The idea here is that authors do not have to write very much to contribute.
Evil Reigns!!!!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I want to see "Legends and the creatures that spawned them" (and I voted it) . . .

BUT I have an article (ready in my home computer) about secrets that man shouldn't know. Should I submit it?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I think it will be ineteresting know something more about the underdark creatures.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ScS of the Fraternity

alhoon wrote:Should I submit it?
The answer to that is question is always YES!

Remember, these are just ideas for articles - not the whole darn issue we could easily do all of these ideas.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

For me it's a real toss-up between Fearful Fables, What Lurks Beneath and Secrets Man Was Not Meant To Know. In the end I voted Secrets, but so far Fearful Fables is in the lead and that's equally acceptable- more monsters!
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:
alhoon wrote:Should I submit it?
The answer to that is question is always YES!
Yes, I knew that. The question actually is "Can I submit it before the poll ends?"

It is about prestige undead classes. No, not prestiges that undead take, but prestige classes that turn a human to an undead.
The ghoul acolyte prestige class for example has 4 levels, while the Mummy acolyte (2nd magnitude ancient) prestige class has 10 levels.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ScS of the Fraternity

Yep, submit it whenever you can.
Evil Reigns!!!!
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

They all sound particularly interesting. However, I'd be looking for some new details on the various criminal elements and organisations running their secretive operations in the dark of Ravenloft.

I'll put my vote forth for the Gangs of Nartok.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Very interesting... Got some few ideas on that topics for myself... Maybe on another occasion... The E A Poe project is more important to me right now. :wink:

:soth:
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Oh oh please please do the Fables I have infinite ideas/half-finished articles on that subject!!
Greek tradition is filled with these kind of creatures/fables, and a Rloft twist is yummy!!!!

I'm ready to bet to my last penny that Wiccy will also like that one.

I'll pm/mail you with some drafts as soon as you throw the other trash :oops: ...eerrr, pick what you like. :lol:
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!