Submission question for QtR

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Submission question for QtR

Post by The_Confessor »

OK...

It says in the QtR FAQ that you can't submit OGL material. So here's my question. I wrote a twenty level class, the Gypsy, that was sold and published by The Le Games in their PDF "Unorthodox Witches." However. the name of the class was changed from Gypsy to Gyria, as well as having substantial editing (without my knowledge) done to the project. So, the product I wrote was somewhat dis-similar to the one published. Now as a freelance writer, I understand that this is the nature of the beast when you sell your world.

I spoke with my editor (the owner of The Le Games) and asked him if it would be possible to recieve his permission to use both the Gypsy and the Tarokka Master (sold, but yet unpublished - as well as being re-named the Tarot Master) in other published works. He agreed to this, his response being (and I quote)

"legality: Gyria (Gypsy) and Tarot Master (Tarokka)
classes

I give you permission to repost and reuse these
classes as you see fit, as long as you do not resell
them."

Does this mean I can submit them for the next QtR?
"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today." -James Byron Dean
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

The QtR FAQ also requires: "The only thing we ask is to have the exclusivity when the QtR/USS is first published". I guess that kinda excludes your class then :(
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I guess it depends, in large part, on how different the classes are (see below). If you're sure the owner of The Le Games won't throw the legal book at us, then I don't see a problem.

Kel-nage's pull from the FAQ addresses a slightly different question; if one writes an article, it's sometimes tempting to submit it in several different places to see where it's accepted. We just want to avoid a situation where we say "All New Ravenloft Material" and discover that everything in the netbook has appeared somewhere else already! If the information is already out there, we'd rather point people to the original source, but if you think it's different enough to stand alone we'd like to have a look at it.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by The_Confessor »

We just want to avoid a situation where we say "All New Ravenloft Material" and discover that everything in the netbook has appeared somewhere else already! If the information is already out there, we'd rather point people to the original source, but if you think it's different enough to stand alone we'd like to have a look at it.
The Gypsy and Tarokka Master were both originally written as Ravenloft specific classes for use in my home game (as was the core class, The Scholar, but I digress) that were then "generalized" when I attempted to market them. This was done, primarily because of WotC and White Wolf copyright laws and the fact that you can't make cash off of the name Ravenloft.

So, if I "ungeneralize" them, return them to their original form, and submit them, I'd like to thinkt they'd be different enough to serve as potential material for the QtR series.
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by The_Confessor »

Oh, as a post script to this, I have recieved full written permission from The Le Games to publish any of my material as I see fit and to submit it to other sources in any fashion I desire with myself or the sources I submit to facing legal action of any sort.

Does this help any?