Quoth the Raven #14 netbook

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
Joël of the FoS

Quoth the Raven #14 netbook

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Esteemed members of the Fraternity,

The Fraternity of Shadows (FoS) is the next release of Quoth the Raven (QtR).

Submission Guidelines

Read the guidelines below for information on how to contribute to QtR #14.

:arrow: Where should I send my article for submission ?

Please send your article to submission@fraternityofshadows.com for consideration. When we receive the article, we'll send you a confirmation.

Please only send COMPLETED articles (if you want advice on an article idea or draft, ask privately to a FoS member, or on the board for help from another member of this board)

:arrow: What are you looking for ?

Anything new and cool about Ravenloft: rules, new class, NPCs, domains, monsters, adventures, etc.

Since no official adventures are planned for Ravenloft yet, we are looking for material that can quickly be implemented in a game. Make sure to suggest adventure hooks!

Any articles made on the CotN model, i.e. a NPC description followed by an adventure is well thought of.

Also, we strongly encourage submission of Ravenloft fiction, art and poetry!

Of course, the QtR will be accepting Gothic Earth / Masque of the Red Death articles, for those interested in contributing to that campaign setting!

:arrow: Who can submit ?

Everybody! You have a good idea? Submit it! You DMed a game where you introduced a cool NPC, rule, etc? Submit it! You are inspired to write a story by the new moon or your girlfriend’s lycanthropic bad temper? Submit it! (we apologize to all lycanthropic girlfriend with bad temper)

:arrow: What is the submission deadline?

The deadline to submit is September 1st .

QtR # 14 release date should be around Halloween 2007

:arrow: What D&D edition?

We accept articles from all D&D editions (but 3.5 edition definitively preferred).

:arrow: Do you have standard text formats?

We will format the texts ourselves, for homogeneity. However, authors should use the standards format text block for a netbook article (see QtR#13 for models on how to structure your text, titles with author names and email).

:arrow: Can we use reference material from another party?

We regret very much that we still prefer not to use OGL material in our netbooks. The reason is that we do not have read all d20 material out there (and do not wish to!). So articles containing creatures, spells, classes, or whatever from OGL sources must be revised to remove them.

We ask the authors to limit their reference material only to:

- all Ravenloft 2nd edition stuff,
- all WotC 3rd edition stuff,
- all White Wolf Ravenloft 3/3.5 edition material.

:arrow: Will you change my article ?

We will ONLY make minor grammatical and spelling changes; any creative changes will be made by the author.

As we have many young RL fans browsing this site, we do intend to hold to WotC guidelines for what is appropriate in an article with respect to language, sexual and violent content (in a word, avoid harsh language, explicit violence and sexuality, and especially when those three are somehow mixed)

This doesn't mean you have to completely remove mature content in your articles: veiled references are good help here, if you let the readers read between the lines.

:arrow: Where will it be distributed ?

The QTR netbooks are available for free at the FoS site, in the library section. Upon the QtR release, we will post “advertising” on major D&D boards.

:arrow: What about the rights to each submitted article ?

Each author keeps the rights to his own work. What you do with your text afterward is your decision.

The only thing we ask is to have the exclusivity for when the QtR is published. We ask this to put exciting netbooks with 100% new stuff. After the QtR release, of course, you can do as you wish with your text.

:arrow: Do you have other guidelines on writing?

The how-to for submissions to the Fraternity’s various projects :

1) Capitalization: Names are capitalized, races are not. Strahd is capitalized but vampire is not. Things like lycanthrope, doppelganger, marikith and caliban are similar to cat, dog and horse and do not need to be capitalized. Additionally, while phrases such as the Mists (when referring to the supernatural fog of the demiplane) and the Dark Powers are capitalized, darklords, demiplane and domain are not. Spells and similar abilities (fireball, sneak attack, favoured enemy) are also not capitalized (spells and ability names are in italic).

2) Teasing: Dread Possibilities and Adventure Hooks are a MUST, but these are best used as teasing hints and mysteries. Whole plots should not be spelt out and there should be some wiggle room for DMs to customize these for their own campaign. A good dread possibility, adventure hook or even throw-away line is one that excites the imagination and starts the reader thinking.

3) Infanticide: When writing you must kill your babies (alternatively, darlings); inevitably there will be fun phrases, bits of trivia and lovely passages that simply slow down the reader and add nothing to the work. Sentences must be trimmed, paragraphs excised, and the work courageously concise and seamlessly svelte. While writing a net product with no page-limit and publisher screaming about size it is tempting to let the word count blossom, this must be avoided to prevent a bloated and unreadable mass of a netbook. (Hint: if this were a real netbook we'd probably cut the line "...and the work courageously concise and seamlessly svelte" in favour of "...and the work conservative" or "...and the work concise.")

4 ) Formatting: Please keep formatting as simple as possible: try to only use bold and italic. If you feel there might be some confusion (due to a number of separate sub and sub-sub-headings or for a complicated table) feel free to add an eye-catching, erasable note (highlighter or different coloured font works good for this) offering explanation.

5) Rules: Know them! Read the PHB, DMG and MM or flip through the SRD. Base your style (formatting, arrangement) on the Fraternity's netbooks and the various 3.5 Ravenloft and D&D products. If you do not feel you know the rules well enough then ask for help (the Fraternity is more than willing to make good ideas work) or stick to fluff.
---

Thanks for your attention!

The Fraternity of Shadows
Souragne

Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I still have my Poe article, if you still like it. As ScS ordered, I can expand it a few pages. :)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Well, since last time I worked on the Omen Watcher, I'd like to describe Sidnar's academy and those who live there... :)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I could also offer an article about a new, Greyhawk-based domain I am creating, if you like it. :)
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

wait, do you mean September 1st 2007?
Hail Strahd!
Joël of the FoS

!

Yes! Yes!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Or should we just go use a time machine?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Gemathustra wrote:Or should we just go use a time machine?
If you all do that they won't get any submissions! :(
Swallow your soul!
Mortepierre
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Quoth the Raven #14 netbook

Post by Mortepierre »

Joël of the FoS wrote:We ask the authors to limit their reference material only to:

Can that include references to other D&D settings, including those with ties to RL at the time of the 2nd edition?
[b]Mortepierre Malepeste[/b]
[i]Dwarven Necro.. er .. Student of Anatomy[/i]
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

What's the guide for word counts and such? For instance, how long is a 3000 word article. That's about the limit of what I've been writing up, but I don't know if that's too long or short. I'm just looking for a general guide...
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Jeremy16 wrote:What's the guide for word counts and such?
We have no specific guidelines or expectations. Please see my comments below for more on this...

Jeremy16 wrote:For instance, how long is a 3000 word article. That's about the limit of what I've been writing up, but I don't know if that's too long or short.
It depends a little bit on both the context and formatting, but a 3000 word article would be about 6-7 pages. I wouldn't say that a 6-page article is either too long or too short. Honestly, length doesn't mean as much to us as being able to present a good idea in an appropriate manner. Some articles can do this in 2-3 pages, and other articles might run 10+.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Hadis Deadstalker
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hadis Deadstalker »

Is there a theme to QtR 14? Or is it whatever we come up with?
My, I'll bet you monsters lead innnnteresting lives. - Bugs Bunny
Joël of the FoS

Re: Quoth the Raven #14 netbook

Mortepierre wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:We ask the authors to limit their reference material only to:

Can that include references to other D&D settings, including those with ties to RL at the time of the 2nd edition?
Sure, à la Ravenloft 2e, you can borrow from other settings. As long as it's just part of the background story and the article is still useful in RL :)

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Hadis Deadstalker wrote:Is there a theme to QtR 14? Or is it whatever we come up with?
No them for the moment. It's an omnibus issue.

We might do a themed contest later, but any interesting submissions will make it.

Joël
Hadis Deadstalker
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hadis Deadstalker »

I'm writting a little something for this issue and I was wondering if anyone can help me on a few items the Laurie Weathermay-Foxgrove has. In her description in the Van Richten's Arsinal it mentions that two of her signature possessions are a glove of storing and a vest of escape. Can anyone tell me anything about them or where I can find them? I don't remember them described in the book.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead innnnteresting lives. - Bugs Bunny