When do we start?

Join us for our Halloween celebration
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

When do we start?

Post by alhoon »

Dear co-players and DM's . . .
When we start? Who will be DMing? Who will be playing?
Will my evil mage Draxton Serd be approved for playing since he sometimes won't ascociate with the others as he is delving in the forbidden arts?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Jason of the Fraternity had written that the Fraternity moderators will probably be leading the DMing, while asking players to help out at points.

I don't think the game will start before 2006 for several reasons.

1) The Fraternity are very busy setting up the Souragne Gazetteer for the end of the year, reformatting the board, and real-life obligations and tribulations.

2) It would be good if all players have had a chance to read the Gazetteer so their intellectual characters actually know what they're talking about. :P

3) Christmas and the New Year is only a month away, and people are busy at this time of year, be it parties, holidays, visiting, shopping and working overtime if they're in the retail/hospitality industry. College and uni students will also be busy with finals, essays, etc. If I've forgotten any other group of people, my apologies. :P

There's a thread listing the old players and new; there may of course be more as the game prepares to get underway once more.

Bear in mind that if you do play Draxton in Souragne, he's going to have trouble not only with the Fraternity (unless they're beginning to review their views on necromancy) but also Anton who's made it clear that he does NOT like that art. That of course may change- but again, we need to wait for the Frat to have time to deal with all that's already on their plate. To paraphase Elmer Fudd, "Be vewwy, VEWWY caweful...." :lol:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Hmmmm. I wonder if we could set up a mock letter-writing thread on this board, in which we'd post "letters" that our PCs have been sending to each other, to try to reestablish contact with other Fraternity members, in the period between headquarters...?

Presumably, it actually took the FoS officers a while to settle on Souragne as the new HQ, and even longer to arrange for their relocation and pass the word on to others. Until that announcement comes through, the other members would surely be contacting each other to check for news of the FoS's status and to see who got back to their homes in one piece. We wouldn't need a moderator to coordinate things, if our characters only consult with each other via the postal service and thus, can't actually get into fights or whatever.

Just a thought. If anyone out there is really impatient to do some more in-character posting with these PCs, such a "letters" thread might keep us occupied (and interest alive) until we hear back from the mods about an actual game-time.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I'd be willing to give it a go. :)
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:When we start? Who will be DMing? Who will be playing?
Llana already covered most of the points that I would have made after reading these questions. However, as a moderator, let me take a moment to officially clarify a few points.

First, I would not expect this to restart until January 2006 at the earliest. As previously explained, we had no intention of continuing the play-by-post game after the Halloween weekend. Due to poupular demand, we decided to move (rather than delete) this board in order to eventually continue the story. However, as Llana pointed out, we have a number of other (and more important) projects on our plate. Not that we have no desire to continue this game, but it is low on our current list of priorities.

Second, we still plan on having the moderators take a more active role in running the game. I stated on the other thread that we might recruit other interested members into running aspects of the storyline (i.e., adventures), but we are still trying to determine the specifics of the aftermath before playing things out. Hopefully, the Souragne netbook will help establish our new plans and goals.

Third, the holiday season is probably the worst time to try to start something new. With so many people being busy with other obligations during this time of year (ourselves included), it wouldn't be a fair assessment of people and their ability to participate at this time. Starting after the holiday (and breaks) finish in January would be more appropriate.

Rotipher wrote:Hmmmm. I wonder if we could set up a mock letter-writing thread on this board, in which we'd post "letters" that our PCs have been sending to each other, to try to reestablish contact with other Fraternity members, in the period between headquarters...?
I would definitely say that this would be acceptable if there are enough people who don't wish to wait a couple more months. A series of letters being passed between various characters would be a good way to establish and develop characters (as well as introduce people who were absent the night of the fire). As you stated, Rotipher, you don't need a moderator to arbitrate things being discussed in a letter. Worst care scenerio, if anything being stated in a letter strongly contrasts with our official writings in the netbook, then we merely state that such things were inaccurate assessments.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Indeed, we won't have time to really think of a plot and jump in for a while, but please do not let this stop you for moving the adventure slightly forward. The letter project looks like fun to me :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Llana wrote:Bear in mind that if you do play Draxton in Souragne, he's going to have trouble not only with the Fraternity (unless they're beginning to review their views on necromancy) but also Anton who's made it clear that he does NOT like that art.
Hey! The book says that Anton doesn't tolerate any arcane magic except necromancy!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Ah, my apologies for not reading carefully enough. :oops:

But you still got the Fraternity in a very small area, and rumours of foreigners must carry quickly...:P
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton left about a week after the events :) He is a merchant from Richemulot after all, he wouldn't be away for all time from his business. :)

The problem is: Power Checks. Draxton isn't an NPC. . . He can't go graverobbing and casting necromantic spells for practice every day or Sourange will become a cluster with his domain in about two months. . . And I wouldn't like to play a darklord (it isn't funny, that's the point).

On the other hand . . . How will the illusionists of the Fraternity deal with the "nothing except necromancy"?

PS RMR 5 in Sourange :)
My DMGuild work!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:He can't go graverobbing and casting necromantic spells for practice every day or Sourange will become a cluster with his domain in about two months. . .
Actually, he would most likely find himself with his own little island of terror (if he should become a Darklord). If Anton can keep his domain from merging with the Core, then I would assume that he could boot out a new pocket without much difficulty. Besides, Draxton might be more likely to follow a path of terror unless his nercomantic practices are truly vile enough to earn him Darklordship...
alhoon wrote:On the other hand . . . How will the illusionists of the Fraternity deal with the "nothing except necromancy"?
This was not an oversight of the Fraternity, and you'll have to wait and see how we found a loophole through this situation... :twisted:
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I was hoping there was a loophole. Phew! :P
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Otherwise we would not have stayed long.

We're not really fond of zombies, you know ... ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
alhoon wrote:He can't go graverobbing and casting necromantic spells for practice every day or Sourange will become a cluster with his domain in about two months. . .
Actually, he would most likely find himself with his own little island of terror (if he should become a Darklord). If Anton can keep his domain from merging with the Core, then I would assume that he could boot out a new pocket without much difficulty. Besides, Draxton might be more likely to follow a path of terror unless his nercomantic practices are truly vile enough to earn him Darklordship...
[sarcasm]
Oh! Phewww! Draxton won't share a domain with Anton! How reassuring!
He may even be spared and just become a heavily cursed monster, still very miserable and totally unplayable! ! ! That's increadibly better! [/sarcasm]

:) It wasn't partening with Sourange that bothered me about PChecks Jason. . . Although your answer gave me a good laugh.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Any updates on when we start etc?
My DMGuild work!
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Patience, Little Grasshopper...:P