In an expensive hotel in Martira Bay

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:OOC> You haven't understood Draxton yet. 1. Of course he wouldn't let the books drop. He is a wizard after all, and a member of a secret society hoarding knowledge :) 2. He wouldn't order an assassination at this time except if absolutely necessary. It is very inconvenient.
[OOC: Actually, I did anticipate #1, and Crow's concern regarding #2 was that Dadrag might think that 'Curwin' was attacking Serd, and sneak-attack him without even waiting for his boss's orders. But he's seen proof that Dadrag is shrewder than he lets on in his employer's presence, so he gambled on the ex-assassin's professionalism and restraint. :wink: ]

As Draxton called off his attack-dog -- not that the mercenary appeared to have overreacted in the first place; 'Dadrag' knew his craft, even if his employer's judgment was suspect -- the bard backed further into the room, then sidestepped to the end of the bed. At the merchant-mage's scolding words about being more careful with books, he snorted and let his own remaining armload spill unceremoniously onto the mattress: an oblique clue that 'Curwin's' magical talents might be those of sorcery, not wizardry, if he held texts in such low esteem. At Serd's whinge about having his "aristocratic" arms laden with documents, he snorted yet again: the name which Crow has assigned to this particular persona was Mordentish -- a nationality ubiquitous amongst the Core's freely-roving, expatriate seamen -- and that fog-shrouded realm's noblemen were far less snooty about the prospect of dirtying their hands at an honest day's work.

Still, he didn't speak again, as the Richmuloiuse merchant followed him on into the room, traded glances with his hireling, looked for a place to set his own burden of paperwork down. He just chortled softly at Draxton's likely frustration -- unless the man could read Grabenite or decrypt the bard's self-devised shorthand, he'd have learned nothing from snooping at the stacked papers he carried -- and waited for the bodyguard to finish shutting, then locking, the suite's door, exactly as his employer had instructed.

When the merchant had set his burden down, and looked up, the bard's left hand was open and extended ... and his right, though concealed in the pocket of his oilskin coat, plainly held something inside that pocket, now directed at Draxton: something of a tubular shape, like a wand.

Or a pistol.

"Never did have that pet bruiser of yours search me rightly, now did ye...?," the mariner remarks, his tone conversational, almost fond. "No hysterics, now, old man -- I've no mind to start trouble in my own port of call -- but I'll not sit back and be on the receiving end of some conniving, fork-tongued inlander's spells, either! Think I can't guess how a man like you fattens his profit-margin? A dash of charming here, a taste of beguilement there? Save that rot for the witless fools beached on Shadow's shoals, not for a Brother who's pulled the same stunt on half the harbormasters in the Core!

"Just be a smart old goat, and hand over that book you're so all-fired proud of, so's I can check if I've been wasting my damn time, after all. If it's as you say ... why, then we got ourselves a bargain, much as I offered below: I put you in touch with a man who'll tell you everything there is to know about its contents, in exchange for everything you know of those four cowardly wretches who jumped ship in the midst of the brawl at St. Ronges. And then we part ways peaceably, and I maybe do you a favor or three, in days to come, if you do likewise for me.

"Or, if you have been wasting my time, talking up a book that ain't worth squat ... or if you're fool enough to think your rickety old bones are faster than I am, or that your watchdog in the hallway could unlock that door again, quick enough to save your sorry hide...."

Curwin smiles, the gloating smirk of a scoundrel who's not at all afraid.

"....then I guess you'll find out just what it was, that you were too damnfool busy being pleased with yourself to have your boy Dadrag take off me."

The spy smiled inwardly, too. Sometimes, Crow begrudgingly admitted, part of him took a certain guilty pleasure in roles that weren't so ingenuously-charming....

[OOC: Intimidate check 18; not one of Crow's specialties, but the bard's Charisma (and gall :wink: ) does help. 'Curwin' is not trying to steal the book or harm Draxton, but given that the merchant's already attempted to drug him and has threatened him repeatedly, he's certainly entitled to warn Serd off from pulling any more tricks. The weapon hidden in his pocket won't be utilized except in self-defense -- including defense against spells, should he suspect that the wizard is starting to cast one -- provided Draxton does nothing drastic to provoke him.

[Of course, so far the bard doesn't suspect that Draxton has Still Spell on his feat list! :wink: So if Serd is careful, he may yet have a chance to turn the tables on the spy....

[The paperwork, FWIW, is mostly outdated shipboard documents the bard bought by the pound from a rag-and-refuse dealer in Armeikos. The few sheets in the pile that he wrote himself, taking notes, are in a shorthand he invented using the Decipher Script skill; those, he made sure to keep in his own half of the pile, just to be extra-safe. Oh, and that wasn't "the switch" I referred to earlier, BTW.]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton scowled "Do not threaten me with a stick, and do not presume I will give in to empty threats. I'm here to do business and if you were not aquintated with my friends in Richemulot and elsewhere, you would be in the receiving end of a lighting bolt by now.

I have suffered your manners long enough. I'll count to 5. If by the time I reach 5 you haven't stopped acting as a moron, I will have to "defend myself" and you'll find out how much the elves here sympathize with rich noblemen that have been attacked by smugglers."

Ignoring the stick, Dadrag never let sight of the man's face. Curwin was a spellcaster after all and he was more concerned that he may cast something on him than from the possibility of Curwing having a pistol or wand on himself. After all Draxton's detect magic hasn't shown any wand.

Draxton wasn't shouting as he was telling Curwin this, but he said them loud enough for Dadrag to overhear them from outside.

OOC> Draxton believes Curwin is bluffing and that he holds a nothing-doing stick.

Draxton starts counting and readies an action to cast a spell on Curwin in case he starts casting a spell.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

[OOC: Sorry about the face-off, alhoon; it's just something Crow had to do, to maintain his "Curwin" identity's credibility as a hard-bitten scoundrel. Besides, things had been getting a little too civilized there, for a minute. :wink: ]

So, this Draxton could learn, at least to the modest extent of refusing to fall for the same trick twice in the same encounter. The bard made a mental note of this, as well as of how Serd expected "Curwin" to be so predictable. The merchant's choice of counterthreat -- a lightning-spell, hardly the most discreet option available to a Fraternity member; on the other hand, such gauche firepower would be more effective than illusions or charms against Van Rijn's minions: a good reason to let this braggart remain in play -- and continued attention to Crow's lips, not his pocket-sheathed hand, likewise contributed to the VRS agent's emerging picture of Draxton Serd's character and capabilities.

(Of course, he'd provoked the man further, mainly to sustain "Curwin's" persona: so coarse a ruffian as his smuggler-identity wouldn't stand for being cowed for long, nor respond to the Richemulouise's undisguised contempt with passive magnanimity! And it had achieved the desired effect; the fact the merchant-mage was actually calling him a fool to his face, now, confirmed that Crow's faux identity remained unquestioned. Given the manner in which the bard intended to give this self-important bourgeoisie the slip, keeping Serd solidly convinced of "Curwin's" credentials as a confrontational troublemaker was important.)

Still, information on Draxton's negotiation-tactics would come in handy in any encounters to come, as "Brother Crow". As would, no doubt, the way the merchant took it for granted that "Curwin" was bluffing him twice in a row ... a presumption that might be exploited in future, hence far too strategically-valuable to squander. No need to teach the man too many lessons, in their first verbal duel.

That's why (even though the look on Serd's face might've been worth it, under less-dire circumstances) Crow didn't draw the snaplock from his coat pocket -- not the spy's usual style, but firearms were de rigour for his present costume; besides, there were seawolves in Armeikan waters, and crossbows were far too unwieldy for shipboard use -- nor even re-cock the firing lever, to see whether Draxton would flinch at its unmistakeable rattle-and-click.

Instead, he let his grin fade into something like amused near-respect, slid his heavily-beringed right hand from his coat -- empty -- and sardonically tipped his bicorn hat to the Richemulouise.

"Don't strain your brains with counting, now, old man," he snidely remarked. "Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. I wasn't doing any more than you've been doing from the start, with your guard-dog out there growling to back up your every word: stating where I stand, and that I'll back that stand up personally, if you don't deal straight with me.

"You feel safer, tellin' yourself it's a stick I got? Fine, you think that, if that's your pleasure. But you've been insisting you got a book that's worth a pretty sal'penny for both of us, and I still haven't seen a lick of proof that what you've got tucked under your arm, there, is fit for anything but hanging up in the head ... means a privy, to you land-speakers."

The bard doffed his hat -- a safety precaution, to ensure this paranoid lout wouldn't assume he was casting a spell or any such foolishness -- and gestured with it to the suite's small writing-table, sitting at the rear wall and bracketed by two chairs.

"You take that book of yours, lay it open on that table, light the lamp. I'll sit across from you and check it over. Both your hands flat on the table; my left flat and my right to turn pages, and maybe take a note or two if I see things my contact'll be real fired-up to know. Your bruiser stays put, so we don't have to hold our tongues like down below; it's plain you already let spill to him about your magic, but I'd as soon keep mine out of the tavern-talk."

The nautically-clad man's eyes narrow.

"No spells, not from either of us. I'll be watching your hands, and I got good ears to boot; got to have 'em sometimes, in my line of business. You speak while I'm reading, it better be to tell me what I need to know.

"Each of them four men you tell me about, I tell you one thing about my contact: a name, a place, a time to meet, the best offer to expect. I catch you in a lie about those scalawags -- and believe me, I know lies when I hear them -- and I warn my contact that you're a double-dealing rat, better chopped into lacedon-bait than bargained with. If you tell me about all four and I spot something useful in your tale, right off, I tell you how to get on the bitter ol' grump's good side. That's if this book of yours is worth all the bother you put me through so far.

"Then you take your damned book and get out. Come morning, I'll show you the way. Maybe I'll even tell you how to contact me, in case there's future transactions to be done ... though that's not looking likely, given it'd mean putting up with you again, old goat."

[OOC: Bluff check 31, including a penalty for Draxton's suspiciousness, to make this sound like the safest arrangement either man can expect to reach at this point. SM 27 to detect whether Draxton intends to keep up his end of the deal, assuming that he accepts.]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Despite he was at the other side of the door, Dadrag manages to listen Draxton's words. The ex-assassin spares neither a moment, he puts the key at the lock and trying to make the less noise possible, he unlockes it. The ex-assassin puts his ear at the door in order to listen better. Since Crow has stopped threatening Draxton, he decides to wait outside. His right hand is at a dagger though and his left is at the door, ready to open it and bump in if necessary.

OOC> I don't know how much noise do such a lock to open. As I said, Dadrag tries to do less noise possible, the DC is up to you! :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OOC> Van, make a sleight of hand check to see if you manage to unlock the door a bit more quietly.

Rotipher, Draxton believes Crow and he intends to keep up his side of the bargain.

IC> Necromancy spells are hard to find. With that thought in mind Draxton decided to work with the insufferable man instead of against him... at least for now.

"Yes, we can do business along these lines. Still, there will be no lamp on the table, that will risk the book's integrity. I could use a cantrip, but I prefer to light a lamp and put it somewhere near the table."

Draxton approached the table and lit a lamp near it. Then and only then, he turned to Curwin as he let the book on the desk.

"How would I know that you are telling me the truth? That you won't give me a false name or adress?" While telling these he pointed at the door and moved a finger over his lips, reminding Curwin that Dadrag was probably overhearing them out of the door.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

[OOC: Crow's Listen check is 17, if we want to treat Dadrag's attempt to unlock the door quietly as an opposed check. Under the circumstances, I'd recommend its possible +2 bonus for synergy be based on Dadrag's Move Silenty ranks, not his Bluff ranks.]

"As I said, I'll show you the way to go meet him, come morning," Crow replied. "If you can't wait that long, that's your problem; the 'appraiser' in question ain't welcome in town no more. You want to confirm what I tell you, then ask the locals about him: they'll surely verify the bloke's name, and his... reputation, to boot."

The bard smiled conspiratorially, his masqued face suddenly taking on an expression more evil than sordid.

"Just don't ask any of them Ezra-kissers or the thrice-damned Guard about the name, if you know what's good for either of us. They been looking for the man, too -- pure luck, I found out where he's hid, myself -- and I doubt the authorities'll be any more understanding of some round-eared foreigner withholding information in your case than in mine."

As if at a sudden thought, 'Curwin' frowned, and lowered his voice as if to keep the mercenary from listening in. "Truth be told... it's probably best if our mutual friends from St. Ronges don't catch wind of such dealings, either. You and I both know the Compacts ain't enforced or observed half so strictly as the top-rankers let on -- hells, that mess in October proves as much -- but 'guilt by association' is still an issue, especially with the Brethren in such an uproar over one mutineer in the ranks.

"So, there it is ... and I already gave you one fact for free, that it's a fellah we've been talking about! I've given you a chance to seal the bargain proper, too ... and you called it 'barbaric', turned it down. You want more proof of my word than that, before we deal, tough luck: the door's over there, old man, and thanks kindly for the free bottle and all."

The 'smuggler' set his hat back on his head, crossed his arms (though not so tautly that his fingers weren't free to move, should a counterspell be necessary for self-defence), and stood firm, clearly unwilling to yield any more ground to Draxton's demands.

[OOC: Crow's offer is genuine. He's a VRS agent, and one specialized in reconnaisance rather than as a hunter; he knows where more than a few villains hide out, which he hasn't found a tenable opportunity to sic more combat-oriented Society members on yet. (Of course, whether or not the 'contact' is actually likely to teach Draxton necromancy is another story.... :wink: ) Bluff check 35 to conceal the fact that the bard won't be sticking around to join Serd and Dadrag when they go to meet (attack, rob, whatever) "Curwin's" contact.]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton simply motioned towards the book. One of the best he has gathered so far.

He had no intention of reminding Curwin that as a rich noble and an accomplished in enchantment he would have no problem dealing with the authorities come to that.

Titles, money and a bit of magic make the guards far more understanding. After all, he could easily send the authorities against Curwin, associating him with this "evil necromancer". Darkon being Darkon, the guards and the priests would be much more happy to deal with a smuggler and pirate than bother a wizard in his lair.

If the wizard ends to be a powerful menace then Draxton will avoid him. If he seems to be about as powerful as him, then Draxton Serd will lead the Anchorites, Dadrag and a few more thugs to this wizard, gaining the Guard's gratitude in return.
Strange that Curwin hasn't thought of that yet. Strange and suspicious as well. Curwin may be an insufferable barbarian, but he was not a fool. Draxton should check with the guard, the Anchorites and the Lords of this area to check on the necromancer's power.
At the thought of the power, Draxton allowed him a hint of a smile. Power that would be his if the wizard proves to be so infamous as Curwin claimed.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

OOC> I get slaight of hand 27. If we add+2=29! I think Dadrag opens the door quietly! :D
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

[OOC (alhoon): SM 28 to detect Draxton's intention to go to the Baronial authorities and/or Ezrans for information.

[OOC (VAN): Dadrag got the door unlocked without being overheard; good job! :D If he's going to open the door too, that's a separate action and should probably require a Move Silently check, not Sleight of Hand.]

Satisfied that Draxton has, at last, been hooked to his satisfaction, Crow gestures for the merchant-mage to match him step-for-step, as he moves to the table. He settles into the chair on the right, opposite Serd, gingerly opens the book and exposes the title-page. Dwarven script in the main, dash it all -- not a part of the spy's lexicon, though he'd braced himself for the possibility and only exhibits moderate irritation at the sight -- but that's not his primary concern.

Squinting across the table at Serd, 'Curwin' suspiciously asks: "No traps in the text, are there? None that you found ... or planted ... that might blow us both to Ascension Come, if I clap eyes on 'em? We got us a deal now, that'll pay off handsomely for the pair of us; scuttling it at the last minute by not warning me of same'd be a sorry financial loss for you, not just myself."

[OOC: Is the book trapped with Explosive Runes or the like, or will reading it subject 'Curwin' to the mummy's disease, curse, etc?]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OOC> the book is not tied to the curse, but Draxton is not sure. The "curse" is actually a failed powers check for all the necromantic spells Draxton packed against the mummy and for sacrificing his hireling to study how the mummies fight.

I'm not sure about that SMotive Check Rotipher. The roll ended up with a natural 20, followed by a 13 to a total of bluff 4 :shock: So I decided to dash that result for the story's benefit.

Assume that Draxton got something like a 25 bluff in the roll. Crow understands that Draxton hides something or has another ace up his sleeve. Still SMotive is not mind reading...

Also opening a door is dead giveaway. You cannot open a door and come in a room when too people sit across the door unless you're arout 35 level rogue. :wink: And Dadrag is good, but not that good.

IC> "This is just a copy of the original Curwin. I haven't trapped it myself since there is no reason for that." Spotting Curwin's dismay at the Dwarven script Draxton gave him a small (but visible) ironic smile, saying nothing. After all there was no need for Curwin to know that Draxton used comprehend languages in the first place to read the book.
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

[OOC: Understood; Crow wouldn't know for sure what Draxton's got in mind, just that the merchant is still thinking he can put one over on the smuggler. Which is fine with him. :) ]

The bard noted Serd's smug smile, glared at the man irritably. He lifted a hand -- slowly and non-threateningly -- and gestured to his oilcloth coat's breast pocket. "All right if I take notes? This ain't my best lingo; I gotta double-check some of this by cantrip later, less you want to sit there all afternoon while I hash this out." Crow didn't even bother proposing that he employ a spell of his own to translate the contents, then and there: Curwin certainly wouldn't do so, knowing how leery the Richemulouise was about the smuggler's getting the drop on him with magic.

Serd smirked again, nodded, but leaned back slightly so he could watch the bard's hands and mouth at the same time. Careful to ensure he'd not alarm the Fraternity wizard by any sudden movements, Crow retrieved the red leather notebook -- the same one he'd allowed Draxton a glimpse of earlier -- from his coat, laid it beside Serd's text, deliberately opened it several pages past the final existing entry. This wasn't more than a quarter of the way into the notebook; by his pretense, Curwin's previous booklet had held far more vital information than its replacement.

While the bulk of the text was in cuneiform Dwarven characters, the Ancient's native tongue wasn't particularly well-equipped for discussion of magical theory and practice. There were enough tidbits of Darkonese or Draconic script, interspersed among the unfamiliar symbols, to hint at the book's overall content. Not a pretty picture, if the passages which the spy could read unaided were any indication of what manner of volume Serd had retrieved....

The bard took notes for a few minutes, flipping through the book, pausing occasionally to puzzle over a Draconic passage or to trace a line of script with the nibless end of his pen. He whistled tunelessly, from time to time -- as difficult a vice of Remington Curwin's as any of those the spy had assigned his nautical persona; few things come less naturally for a performer than to deliberately perform badly -- and glanced up periodically at Serd: first suspiciously, then with sobered-up surprise, and lastly with an air of low cunning.

"Not exactly standard fare," he remarked, his voice carefully neutral. Not threatening, not even insinuating; still, the remark would confirm to Serd that 'Curwin' realized this text was not one their Fraternity superiors were likely to approve of. And you've just told 'Curwin' that you've made yourself a copy, too....

(Inwardly, the bard grinned. If Draxton hadn't had sufficient cause to see his bargain through -- at least, long enough to gain a decisive advantage over 'Curwin' -- before this, he would certainly do so now ... either to tar the insufferable sailor with the same pro-necromantic brush, in the FoS's reckoning, or to silence him altogether. Blackmail was virtually the national sport of the merchant-mage's homeland; if 'Curwin' lacked the imagination to see the profitable implications of Draxton's favored reading-material at first, Serd would be a fool to give him much time to think about it.)

Satisfied he'd inspected the book long enough to achieve the required effect, Crow closed the notebook and Draxton's volume, then squinted across the table at the merchant-mage. He laid a hand atop the mage's book, in implied warning that their business wasn't yet concluded.

"Best I can tell," he conceded, "the man I've been thinking of would consider this book o' yours worth a bone or two. Assuming the dwarf-speak isn't gibberish, I'll take you and your man out there in the morning, long as you deliver on your part of the deal, here and now.

"Birth-name of the buyer I got in mind is Salivan. Last name comes when you tell me about one of those four who jumped ship at St. Ronges -- any one, it don't matter -- and more, when you tell me of the others."

[OOC: "Salivan" is a Darkonese name, but it's a fairly common one and probably not enough to base an information-search on. Getting the full name would help a lot with Serd's intended inquiries.]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton, already having read the book knew that it gave info about undead that the fathers wouldn't approve... at another time. This time was different, the fraternity's lack of lore on the undead was part of the disaster and one they meant to make ammends to. No need to give that out though.

"Hmmm. One man from there is Borcan, he is said to be a merchant like myself. He trades ... interesting things. Do you care to know about them? Tell me the last name and I'll tell you."
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The bard snorted. If Draxton thought it was his turn to play the fool for 'Curwin', he'd not been far wrong about the merchant-mage's limited imagination.

"Not Buchvold, you senile old goat; I mean the men who didn't leave with the rest of us! The headshrinker, the nancy-boy musician, the Vaasi rube or Donovan-what's-his-name: they're the ones who might have walked off with what's mine, the ones I need to find. If you've dirt to sell on the rest of the lot, that's well and good, but it's those four I need to hear about, assuming you've any word to trade on them at all."

[OOC: In fact, Crow might indeed be interested in nasty rumors about Buchvold :wink: , but he needs to know if Draxton suspects he's the Library-thief first. Since Serd wasn't actually anywhere near the Library, he can't report on Crow's (or Conrad's!) having stolen the books ... but from what I see in the old posts from Halloween, Draxton can report that Donovan was killed by the zombies, and Rosnel disappeared into the gardens before the fighting broke out, and never returned to the Manoir. That's more than enough to get 'Curwin' to cough up a full name and location, and it'd confirm that the Richemulouise wasn't hiding in the Library invisibly when Crow stole the books: both PCs will get the information they most require. :D ]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton raises an eyebrow. "Do you believe that only Brother Buchvold and me are merchants or in the trading business? Some of us were trading in secrets or more mundane merchandise before the event. A pity that two of them are not among us anymore. Interested?"

OOC> Bluff DC 26 (add or subtract modifiers accordingly) to hide that he was indeed talking about Buchvold. At least one of the 4 if not all of them certainly were using their spells to learn secrets to sell (or trade) or selling magic (casting spells or crafting items) or selling illegal or even legal merchandise. This is the FoS after all. So assume that Draxton knows that one of them did that and that was not a lie... not that it is something hard for Crow to guess.
After all, especially about Secrets the Frat wants to learn in order to control. Why to not apply that same perspective to more easy goals like learn of a noblewoman's infidelity to control her?
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

alhoon wrote:Draxton raises an eyebrow. "Do you believe that only Brother Buchvold and me are merchants or in the trading business? Some of us were trading in secrets or more mundane merchandise before the event. A pity that two of them are not among us anymore. Interested?"
'Trading in secrets', eh? Again, how like a Richemulouise ... might that be what the "Eternity" cue refers to, perhaps? The bard wasn't particularly surprised -- of course Serd was milking his Fraternity connections for financial and political advantage -- but if the merchant now hoped to draw Curwin into his personal extortion-racket, Crow had underestimated the scope of Draxton's ambitions. The contents of the mummy's text and the Richemulouise wizard's encounter with such a creature took on new significance, in the VRS spy's estimations: further hints that the merchant-mage was playing with fire.

Necromancy. Crow despised necromancy, felt soiled within his own skin at the thought of it. Small wonder that he'd felt such sharp, visceral revulsion for this man from the first, if that was what Draxton Serd has been dabbling in. Though unwilling to condemn the merchant for such offenses, on gut-instinct alone, the bard never disregarded such intuitive clues; the book only supported his native suspicions.

(The remark about "two of them" wasn't overlooked, either. Granted, the fatalities at the Manoir could certainly account for such ... but "not among us" could refer to other absences than those afforded by the grave. Was Draxton intentionally hinting at past dealings with Van Rijn, after all? If he was, the man was both bolder and more reckless than Crow had anticipated; if not, he was a fool to imply as much to 'Curwin', be it out of deliberate deception or careless phrasing.

(The spy's instincts told him Serd wasn't that bold, nor reliable enough in his loyalties for the lich to risk using this man as a mole. But even a slim lead was better than none; Draxton Serd would bear watching, albeit not as Remington Curwin.)

All these thoughts rushed through Crow's mind, even as he stared at the Richemulouise merchant in scornful disbelief. "I think Buchvold's the only Borcan from that night to be known as a trader -- your own words there, old goat -- and I know he's not the man I'm looking for. I also know that you're stalling; if you don't know squat about those four scum, then take your damned book and damned self out of my room! I don't do business -- any business -- with men who can't deliver."

The spy roughly shoved the Ancient's volume across the table, sending it thudding into Serd's chest. He pressed his ring-bedecked hands flat on the tabletop, leaning on it as he started to rise... then hesitated, squinting with a criminal's street-cunning at Draxton again.

"Unless... the sissy string-plucker, the one with the guitar? Those other scum weren't Borcans, but him, he could've been... not tall enough, but his looks weren't so far off, for that land..."

(The bard's words were true enough; with his black hair and light build, he could pass for Borcan in a pinch. But his eyes were Mordentish, his locks as curly as a Tepestani's, his accent an unplaceable polyglot. With a little makeup, he could feign at least a dozen Core nationalities, and routinely did so.)

Crow frowned, thoughtfully, and settled back into his chair.

"If you do know something about that dandified weasel -- where he's from, how to contact him, where he was that night at the Manoir -- best tell me about it. Now, and straight, or 'Salivan' is all the word you'll be getting from me."

alhoon wrote:OOC> Bluff DC 26 (add or subtract modifiers accordingly) to hide that he was indeed talking about Buchvold. At least one of the 4 if not all of them certainly were using their spells to learn secrets to sell (or trade) or selling magic (casting spells or crafting items) or selling illegal or even legal merchandise. This is the FoS after all. So assume that Draxton knows that one of them did that and that was not a lie... not that it is something hard for Crow to guess.
[OOC: The fact Serd called the guy a Borcan kind of narrows down the choices, so Crow did guess that Draxton was indeed referring to Buchvold, no matter what he might hint. However, since "Brother Crow" was the only one of the four suspects 'Curwin' named, who might have been from Borca (the others' nationalities were given as part of their descriptions, so must've been obvious from dress or accents), Serd gave Crow a chance to play dumb about himself, and demand Draxton's information on the "pretty-boy guitarist", directly! :D ]