The Sorority of Shadows

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"Think nothing of it, madame," the doctor replied drily. "All of my business comes on short notice--except for my regulars."

Regulars? Gertrude thinks. With this new tidbit suddenly the situation becomes much clearer--if no more palatable. A doctor who specializes in "women's ailments"--of course his clientele would consist largely of the better sort of...that sort of woman. And of course the noblewomen of Dementlieu would visit him. Discreetly. No wonder he didn't ask my name.

What have I gotten myself into?...

On the other hand, it does seem he'll be experienced at his trade...

"Please, seat yourself," the doctor says, seating himself behind a largish desk and gesturing to a cushioned chair before it. "I am given to understand by a certain noblewoman that you desire the same procedure she underwent--is that correct?"
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude took her seat, still absorbing the insight of moments before. Politics make for strange bedfellows, indeed… Her project had gathered respectable, discrete doctors into its service. Too many wives and daughters of the higher classes had had lives and reputations endangered and lost by visits to untrained, seedy doctors. The yellow press was abhorred but profited from such misfortunes. This service had more than paid its way as grateful, wealthy families found themselves…moved…to make donations to Paridon’s Responsible Parents. Anonymously, of course.

“Yes it is. Could you tell me how long it will take, and how long before full recovery?” The professor knew the procedure and its possible complications. But she found herself asking nonetheless. Part of it was fear, now that she was the patient. And part of it was embarrassment; it was bad enough to come to a disreputable doctor without looking too familiar with the details.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

The doctor smiled and passed his hand over his hair. "The surgery itself will take three or perhaps four hours, madame," he said. "You will, of course, be sedated with ether for the duration, for your comfort and mine. Afterward I encourage you to stay the night here--we have rooms appointed for this purpose--both to avoid too rapid a strain on the sutures and to have you near at hand in case any post-surgery complications arise. If all is well, you will leave tomorrow morning, early, and be taken back to your current lodgings or place of residence. I advise that you take bed-rest for two weeks and that you take no strenous action--long walks, travel, the...ah, companionship of men--for at least a month."

He paused and glanced owlishly over his spectacles, a small and perhaps overly familiar smile hovering at the edges of his mouth. "Have you any other questions, madame?"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude listened to the doctor's calm remarks with returning dread. She did not want to stay here but knew that she was being irrational. At her age, the chance of complications was too real, and she couldn’t afford prudish scruples to endanger her health. She caught her hands rising to waist-level and gently forced them back into her lap. She didn't want to appear as some frightened girl.

But she was frightened, very. Is it really worth it? That question had kept insinuating itself throughout her thoughts. She had told herself she was being foolish, irrational, over-emotional. But she had yet to even mention a visit with Dr Lassetter, let alone its purpose, in her correspondence to Rupert. In all honesty, there was nothing he could have done if she had written it right after the visit to the Countess. After all, he was miles away, far from the Core.

Rupert… How furious he was going to be, both with the Fraternity and herself. That had been the only valid reason she could think of to delay the surgery…but to what end? They would have fought, and she would have won, even if it meant him leaving her.

She’d wanted this too bad, sought it it for far too long, to turn away. Three women in 20 years…someone had to take a step forward for the sake of others like herself. The Contessa had managed it; how could she look the woman in the face and say ‘no’, after being granted her one opportunity? She would have despised her weakness, and rightly so.

Rupert knew of her aspirations and dedication to her studies. But how much farther would he be pressed, especially after the row over her return to the Core? She knew she was being selfish to hurry it so, to not give him the chance to have his say, even if it did change nothing. But she couldn’t face the delay. The last two days had been hard enough; a month would be hell. And too tempting. It’s dangerous in the Fraternity right now, she’d heard him say in her imagination. Wait till after this is resolved…And then she might wait, and wait, and wait…and then the Shadowcloak might die, and then where would she be? No, if their marriage was to be challenged once more, let it be her actions that provoked the rift, not her regret and frustration turned venomous. Not again.

Her one concession, and she knew it was feeble, had been to arrange a Sending with the Ezran church. He would receive it some time today, with the assurance that she was fine and not to contact her till tomorrow afternoon, when she was likely to be fully conscious. And pray to heaven, alive.

She blushed lightly at the reference to intercourse, wondering vaguely if he was making some insinuation. And if he was, what was she going to do? Storm out in a huff? A month…Rupert will most certainly be here by then...

That stilled any further thought except the determination to get it over as quickly as possible. “None, thank you.” She tapped her carpet-bag as if remembering. “Oh, one question- where shall I keep this until I come to? It has my books and a change of clothing.”
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"I will arrange to have your bag taken to the room where you will spend the night," Dr. Lasetter replied. Taking up a small mallet, he touched a bell on the desk; at the gentle tone, a woman of about Gertrude's own age--dressed primly, even severely, and apparently weaned on lemons--appeared and made a prefunctory curtesy. "Miss Micklethrow," the doctor said. "Is the operating room prepared?"

"Yes, doctor," she replied, throwing a slit-eyed glance at the professor.

"Excellent," the doctor replied, standing. "Have Betsy take this bag upstairs and then join me there. Madame?" Opening wide the door to his office, he gestured Gertrude through. "To your left, madame, and down to the end of the hall. Very good."

The room which the doctor and the professor now entered had a certain nightmarish simplicity and elegance; a bench along one wall displayed dozens of bladed implements of all descriptions and tall carboys of liquid, while the center of the room was dominated by a steel-topped table with a drain centered beneath it. The green-tiled floor showed rust-colored stains at the mouth of the drain, but otherwise the room was impressively, even frighteningly, clean. A large skylight set in the roof directly above the table sent a wash of light into the room, eerily highlighting the table beneath it.

"Courage, madame," the doctor said quietly. "Please strip down to your shift and put your clothes on the table. If you need assistance, Miss Micklethrow will help you; if not, she will enter in a few minutes and administer the ether sedative. The ether will leave mild chemical burns on your nose and lips, but these will heal within two or three days. After you are sedated I will perform the operation."

Bowing, the doctor turned and left, leaving the professor alone.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Oh wonderful, she thought as she saw Miss Micklethrow’s sour look. She’d better not try to lecture me afterwards… Gertrude maintained her calm expression as the woman approached to take her bag, nodding her thanks. There was no advantage to antagonizing a doctor’s assistant after all.

She held her head high, back straight, as she went down the corridor towards the operating room. Her poise grew rigid as she took it in, reminding herself that the sterile surroundings were an excellent sign of the doctor’s worth. She forced her gaze to move away from the rust on the drain and looking up, blinded herself with the sunlight. She clenched her hands, and an obscure quote arose: Let my deeds be seen in the light of day…

The professor offered Lasetter a wan smile at his gentle exhortation, still dazzled. “Thank you, I will not require Miss Micklethrow’s assistance,” she said, trying to keep undue firmness out of her voice at the prospect of a longer audience than necessary with that shrew. She nodded at the warning about the ether’s side-effects, her voice suddenly lost.

Alone, she looked up one more time at the serene bright sky and began to undress. Each item was folded, and placed neatly upon a nearby stool. She padded in her bare feet towards the table, her hands running up and down her arms in a futile attempt to warm herself. She lay a hand upon the table, feeling the chill metal. It will be fine, it will be fine, she chanted to herself, an invocation against gibbering fear.

She turned around, back against the table’s edge, taking in her surroundings one more time. She braced her arms upon it, then lifted herself on to the surface. She shivered, glad of the excuse of cold, as she brought her legs up, and sat up on the table. She lay down briefly, but panic was still too strong to maintain that pose. She licked her dry lips, busying her hands with straightening the folds of her shift. I haven’t paid the doctor yet, she absurdly realised, then smiled wryly. There wasn't much danger of her bolting afterwards.

She took deep breaths, forcing herself to make them even, counting them out. She closed her eyes, focusing her attention upon the steady count and the sound of her breath. She ignored the babbling brook of her consciousness, and relaxed under the technique she had practiced since childhood, waiting.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

There was a tap at the door of the operating room, and then Miss Micklethrow stepped in. "Madame," she said, not quite curtesying. Moving to the bench, she took a large white kerchief from her sleeve and wetted it from the liquid in a large metal carboy, releasing a stink of ether into the room. Coming to the table, she said only, "Lie back."

As the cloth descended over her face, there was one final instant of doubt...but the world flickered and spun and flew away up into the sun...
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

The next day

Gertrude lay back among the pillows, trying to read Estelle, a gift from the Countess. Instead her eyes were constantly flickering towards the seductive green bottle of laudanum. She licked her lips, wanting to lose herself in sleep but waiting either for the arrival of the Ezran priest or Rupert’s own message, whichever came first.

Dearest?

She roused herself from her pain-induced stupor, catching herself when the sudden movement caused a severe reaction. She gasped, asking aloud, “Darling?” when she was stunned to hear the voice remark, Gently! Don’t you have any assistance?

Rupert… The voice was his, though devoid of emotion. Telepathy… but how?

Master Lerner was kind enough to make available a crystal ball. Please sit back- my goodness but you are pale. How are you doing?

I’m…fine, she thought, still unable to keep herself from looking around, wondering what he was seeing.

Imagine that I’m sitting beside you. On your right. You look quite a tragic heroine at the moment. Please promise that this won’t conclude with a swan song. I never did like sad endings. Why pay to feel miserable, when life offers so many opportunities free? Ah, there’s that smile.

She sat back carefully, a shimmer of tears in her eyes. She stretched out a hand, and clenched it, staring at it as a focus for her thoughts and conversation. Liar. I look as if I’ve been embracing a grater.

What a horrible thought, but you always did have an ascetic streak about you. There are better ways to cope with urges, you know… You could always wear a veil, you know. Think how mysterious you would look! The gentle babbling and teasing continued for another minute, relaxing her visibly.

You should have contacted me sooner and let yourself rest. What did the doctors say? She looked away, then back, her expression instantly transforming into anguish. Sorry, let’s change the topic- we’ll discuss it later, when you’re well. All that matters is that you’re all right.

Gertrude stared at her hand, amazed. There really was no need, was there? At least not yet, she amended to herself. Someday. But not now. Not till I’m sure he can understand…He must understand…

Gertrude? Do you want to sleep? You really should, you know, and I can arrange to borrow this to speak to you later this week.

No, just a little longer. Rupert- I really am going to be fine. The doctor…he did say it was successful, and that there shouldn’t be any complications. Look. Promise me that you won’t come down.

There was a pause. Well… It is a busy time at the university, as you know. But I don’t want you to be alone.

She blinked her eyes, realizing she was hurt and a little angered by his hesitation. Idiot, why invite problems? I’ve hired a girl to keep me company; I sent her away but she does check in every half hour. And really, by the time you get here, I’ll be on my feet once more.

You’re sure?

Yes, I’m sure. And really, I don’t need you to get lost in a Lamordian blizzard either. It’s just not safe for you, and I’ll spend the whole time worrying.

I am sorry.

She did smile again at this. I’m the one who’s chosen to wander the world. If you had your way, I’d be safely at home right now. She grew wistful at this, then shrugged. Eventually, I shall be.

Eventually. We really do need to talk, Gertrude.

Yes. I know.She looked away, then back at the ring on her hand. I promise we will. When I return.