Cast of Characters

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Cast of Characters

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

It occurs to me that it might be nice to have a list of the characters mentioned so far, to avoid having to say "Who's that?" every time someone is mentioned, and also because I'm liable to forget even characters that I've introduced without a little help. (You can never tell when you'll want a returning character!) Here goes:

Player characters:
Raphael Buchvold (played by Moral Machiavelli)
Crow (played by Rotipher)
Professor Gertrude Kingsley (played by Llana)
Draxton Serd (played by alhoon)
Lauren Hartly (played by Tobias Blackburn)
Hiro Harako (played by Coan)
Dadrag (played by VAN)
Jonathan Midwinter (played by Undead Cabbage)
Shadiir Tuyuz (played by Glim)
Tarlyn (played by Tarlyn St. Denfer)
(If I leave your name out, please mention it and I'll add it. Same for NPCs you've introduced and want to keep track of.)

Canon NPCs:
Lord Balfour de Casteelle, Father of the Fraternity of Shadows
Alanik Ray, detective
Dzungaria Tao, skeleton

The Souragne Fraternity of Shadows:
Viktor Hazan
Grabek Krakul
Kristoff Lutemmi
Anthony Reuland
Ambrose Skully

NPCs of the Fraternity of Shadows:
Count Wilhelm von Lovenhorst, Father of the Fraternity of Shadows
Countess Karla von Lovenhorst, daughter of Count Wilhelm
Tarnos Shadowcloak, Father of the Fraternity of Shadows
Master Alfred Larner, Esteemed Brother, head of the Fraternity in Paridon
Marcos Vedarrak (Book of Sacrifices), Brother, Talon

The Bad Guys
Erik van Rijn, lich, former member of the Fraternity
"Miss Mary"
The Fratella
Drakon
Martinet

Minor NPCs:
Abelard Despadon, detective
Dr. Randolph Lasetter, "disreputable doctor"
Miss Amelia Micklethrow, assistant to Dr. Lasetter
Iago Bonchance, servant to the von Lovenhorst family
Vasily Szestelyn, Kartakan opera singer
Bianca Castafiore, soprano and opera diva
Michel Darazzo, Borcan opera singer
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Tobias Blackburn has been very busy but is still planning to play with Lauren Hartly; he should be posting in the next week or so. Two other players are Coan with Hiro Harako and VAN with Dadrag.

NPCs of the Fraternity of Shadows also needs to include Master Alfred Larner, head of the Fraternity in Paridon and Esteemed Brother.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote:Tobias Blackburn has been very busy but is still planning to play with Lauren Hartly; he should be posting in the next week or so. Two other players are Coan with Hiro Harako and VAN with Dadrag.

NPCs of the Fraternity of Shadows also needs to include Master Alfred Larner, head of the Fraternity in Paridon and Esteemed Brother.
I've made note of them; thanks. Anyone else?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: Cast of Characters

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nathan of the Frat wrote:Canon NPCs:
Lord Balfour de Casteelle, Father of the Fraternity of Shadows
Alanik Ray, detective
Dzungaria Tao, skeleton
Aww, you "outed" what the real Dzungaria Tao is! So much for my offer of virtual Xmas cookies, for players who figured out where Crow'd stolen this guy's name from.... :roll:

How about listing Victor, Anthony, etc in the cast as well? Presumably we'll be seeing them again eventually, provided events take us off to Souragne, and new players may not have seen their write-ups in the USS or QtR. A citation for their netbook descriptions, and for the Fraternity's history and the FoS prestige class, would also be helpful for newbies who may want to join later on.

Buchvold's first name is Raphael, BTW.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Cast of Characters

Rotipher wrote:
Aww, you "outed" what the real Dzungaria Tao is! So much for my offer of virtual Xmas cookies, for players who figured out where Crow'd stolen this guy's name from.... :roll:
Yeah...sorry about that. :oops: OTOH, even virtual Xmas cookies are probably stale by mid-February. :lucas:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Further Fraternity characters:

Hans Loder: Lamordian Exalted Brother. Famous for his elegant use of shadow magic and illusion.

Pierre Lacomte: Dementlieuse Exalted Brother. Curator of the Great Library of Port-a-Lucine.

Eonarda Roeccha: Canjar Vistani darkling, Exalted Brother. Director of the Brautslava Institute.

Armande Dupin: ex-Dementlieuse Esteemed Brother, high-ranking member of the Radiant Tower. Enchanter.

Lars Lorenz: Lamordian Esteemed Brother. Sometimes referred to as "the other Umbrucha"--rumored to be the arcane equivalent of a leg-breaker for the Umbra.

Ibelis natha Quiret: Sithican/Kartakan half-elf. Famous as the first person to overcome both non-human ancestry and training as a bard to gain a place in the Fraternity (Ambrose Skully was second).

Natho Dossevsky: G'Hennan Honored Brother. The youngest Honored Brother in at least fifty years; he just turned twenty-one.

Valry Rivtoff: Nova Vaasan Honored Brother. A sprig of the Rivtoff noble family; he has sponsored an exploration of the Nocturnal Sea.

Paul Dirac: Dementlieuse Brother. Second cousin of Marcos Vedarrak. Did the legwork for Rivtoff's expedition. A notorious fop with literary pretensions, but smarter than he lets on.

Magnus Wolfsbane: Darkonese Brother. Assistant curator of records, Brautslava Institute.

Vasily Yarek: Kartakan Brother. Bard.
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

As Nathan and Joel have rightly pointed out, my darned bard's trickery has long since reached "critical mass", to a point where he's becoming a likely source of confusion for folks trying to catch up on what's going on. Heck, even I lose track of his antics sometimes, and he's my bloody PC!

In the interests of keeping his double-agent scheming sorted out, here's a summary of his various identities assumed so far in the game, and what their respective roles and functions are:

Crow, VRS agent: The real person whose thoughts we see, beneath all the lies (but see "Pavel" below). Woke up in Mortigny ten years ago with no memory; was directed by notes in his own handwriting to join up with Van Richten. Arrived in Mordentshire too late to find him, so went to Darkon to search for the doctor ... just in time to witness the death of Il Aluk, far too close for comfort. Blames himself for not investigating the first Doomsday Device, and for unknown crimes he believes he'd committed before his amnesia. Works for the Van Richten Society as an infiltrator of villainous organizations, but keeps the VRS at arms' length for his associates' own protection. Stole every document he could get his mitts on at the Manoir de Penombre; ironically, also one of the "loyalist heroes" of that night, as his own snooping inadvertantly uncovered Van Rijn's theft and he fought side by side with them to avert loss of life. An obsessive note-taker and contingency-planner, yet tactically spontaneous.

"Brother Crow": False identity assumed to infiltrate the FoS, initially to steal from the Manior's library and later to help hunt Van Rijn and destroy the stolen Doomsday Device plans. Claims he's a survivor of that tiny handful of FoS members who'd operated in Il Aluk; has falsely told Gertrude Kingsley that three other survivors (Dzungaria Tao, Vhexus and Ilyano) are also alive, and hiding from both the FoS and its enemies. Has obliquely hinted he's romantically attracted to Kingsley, but in truth the spy's just very lonely and hopes to win her as a friend.

"Mr. Crow" (as Buchvold calls him): Professional thief from Nova Vaasa, who supposedly infiltrated the Manoir to rob the estate and got caught up in the loyalists' battle. A bogus identity the spy revealed to Raphael Buchvold, so the Borcan FoS member would conscript the "thief" to assist in the Frat's lich-hunt ... and so Buchvold would help reinforce his "Brother Crow" cover identity. :wink: Not seen in-character since the Epilogue thread, as Buchvold has agreed to have Crow play "Brother Crow" full-time 'for practice'.

Remington Curwin: Mordentish expatriate seaman/smuggler, allegedly an FoS sorcerer and (implied) drug dealer. An old established (non-FoS) cover-identity of Crow's, modified to fool Draxton Serd into revealing whether he knows the bard was involved in the Manoir library-thefts. A "throwaway" identity unlikely to appear again, AFAIK. Obnoxious and earthy.

Pavel (?): Hypothetical name Crow currently associates with his pre-amnesiac self, who apparently wrote him his instructions and then erased his own past (!), by undetermined means. Early on, Crow had trusted his former self's guidance, and respected "Pavel's" instructions not to investigate his own origins; now, he fears his old self was a black-hearted monster, with far darker motives for sending him to meet Van Richten ... motives, which the doctor's disappearance undermined, leaving the bard with neither purpose nor answers.

Oh, and one more entry worth mentioning:

Tiahn: Crow's guitar. Nonmagical, but he loves "her" more than anything in his life -- mostly because he's such a loner and workaholic, he's got little else to care for -- and obsessively shields Tiahn from danger or others' knowledge. Decorated by a painted image of a crow, which he presumes his alias to be a reference to.

Hope that helps! Now I just have to hope that bloody bard doesn't sneak up behind me and wipe my memory, to stop me from spilling his secrets.... :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Hey, Nathan, I think this thread's O.P. is due for another update. Perrison, the bard-party attendees, and Cabby's Jonathan Midwinter all need a proper introduction, and Nathaniel Hawke is apparently also back in play (albeit not in Souragne yet).

Anyone know if Tobias's Hartly will still be joining us, BTW?
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Rotipher wrote: Anyone know if Tobias's Hartly will still be joining us, BTW?
I don't, unfortunately. :(

Persons who have been introduced since the last update:

Brother Harko Perrison: A Fraternity member, apparently a few bricks short of the full load. Uncanny and possibly prophetic in his Tarokka "readings".

Brother Simon Torrens: A Mordentish bard; plays the harpsichord and other instruments and does a great deal of exploring of odd nooks of the Mists.

Honored Brother Paolo Dilisyna: A Borcan by birth, currently living in Richemulot. An amateur musician, very wealthy, and has a rather unpleasant personality.

Jonathan Midwinter: see above in PC list
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

New since the last post: Shadiir Tuyuz, Rajian professor of mathematics (a PC, so he'll go in the PC list above, too.)

Marko Kaspan, an Invidian. Not exactly a standard-issue Fraternity brother--he was fencing with Marcos Vedarrak earlier.

Dead people:
Honored Brother Taddeous Marchare
Honored Brother Rodrigo Taroyan

Both of these gentlemen are "references" for Crow's backstory.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Taroyan was Esteemed, not Honored, BTW. Moral actually made him up, not me.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Time for another update here?
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Time for another update here?
I reckon.

Tarlyn (aka "George", other aliases): PC, hence will go on the PC list. Bodyguard to Honored Brother Lord Valry Rivtoff.

(pause while I go to look over the last couple of threads)