Join us for our Halloween celebration
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

In the University's Depths

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

January 10th, 760
Port-A-Lucine, Dementlieu

Lauren Hartly moved slowly through the stacks towards the reading desk he had reserved, basking in the smell of old paper, well oiled leather, and the muffled echo of his footsteps on the marble floor. Most of his brethren would have torn the books open the instant they had realized what they contained, skimming over the contents in a frantic search for a few choice lines. He enjoyed the hunt, enjoyed searching through the cluttered stacks for forgotten works. He wouldn't bother reading the works until he was satisfied that he had found everything he was looking for and was comfortably seated in a quiet corner. It was a little ritual of his, one he had indulged in hundreds of times before.

He casually dragged one finger along one of the high shelves and was quite impressed to find that there was only a thin layer of dust. Few libraries payed attention to the top shelves. Popular tomes found special places where a body could find them handily, while obscure ones seemed to have no more purpose than to ensure the shelves appeared well stocked. That the cleaning staff had ever bothered with things that were out of sight, for normal people at least, impressed him to no end.

The reading desk he had requested was hidden far in the back of the University Library near the little used Folklore section. The people of Dementlieu were far to practical to put any stock in old wive's tales and he had chosen the area specifically because of that fact. The quiet would allow him a better atmosphere in which to concentrate on his work, as well as provide an area where he could work some minor spells without being interupted. It also, though he refused to admit, allowed him to avoid the stares of curious slackjaws who would gawk at him while he worked. Standing at close to seven feet in height, he bore a striking resemblance to a skeleton; a fact not helped by his utter lack of hair and penchant to wearing somber black suits that one might bury a corpse in.

He gently laid his prizes on the table and sat himself comfortably before them. After taking a moment to ensure that his pen and parchment were properly aligned and that there was no danger of anything getting bumped off the desk, he took the first book from the pile. Laying it in front of him, he brushed his long, spidery fingers over the cracked and worn leather cover, savouring the moment as he traced the faded letters of "The Founding of Faith, Or An Examination of the Prevailence of Cults Among The Disenfranchised." Apparently satisfed, he opened the cover to the first page.

Sparing a glance at the extra seat that the staff had, for some reason which he could not fathom, placed on the other end of the table, Hartly buried himself in his work.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

February 14

This was Gertrude’s second venture out of doors since the month had begun. The weather was fairly mild, at least compared to Paridon’s, and the populace was out and about enjoying the rare sunny day. Crocus buds and snowdrops were already beginning to appear in the park near her inn; the promise of spring was strong in the air. Lavender seemed to be the colour of the season as couturiers displayed their latest gowns. She had reluctantly taken a carriage, deciding it wiser to conserve her strength in case Hartly wished to venture a distance for their discussion.

Zherisians routinely mocked the Dementos’ frivolity, but there wasn’t one who didn’t envy their library. Since the destruction of Il Aluk, it had lost its greatest competitor, and its traffic had increased accordingly. The comfortable silence was softly interrupted by turning pages, muffled coughs, the groans of rearranged chairs, and footsteps as readers moved about in their pursuit of knowledge.

The professor made her way to the Folklore section, as the Mordentish scholar had suggested. His emaciated frame was easy to find. She smiled, and made her way towards Lauren Hartly, moving slowly into his line of sight, so as not to interrupt him or to come unawares upon his possibly private research. She stopped at a nearby, empty reading desk, casually fingering its volumes, content to wait.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Hartly slowly became aware of the person who had invade his sanctuary and amde a studious attempt to ignore them. He had been coming to this section everyday for several months and had yet to see another soul who wasn't just passing through to some of the more "important" categories.

When he could no longer take the distracting rustle of the intruders movements he turned away from his work, only to have his angry words die on his tounge.

"Ah, Professor Kingsley." He said, standing up to greet her. "You will have to excuse my rudeness. LaCrois has a habit of burying his point in pages of flowery prose, and it takes a great deal of concentration to discover what his point is."

Closing the book, he placed it back on the pile. "I am glad that you were able to find time to see me. I assume you are doing well?"
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude smiled warmly, laying aside the volume of Phantasies: Ghost Stories and Related Tales. She rose from the corner of the desk, and after an unconscious smoothing of her grey skirts, extended her hand in greeting. “There’s nothing to excuse, Mr Hartly. We agreed to make this an informal get-together, after all. I am doing well, thank you, and yourself?”

She looked up craning her neck a little but careful not to make it an obtrusive gesture. “LaCrois does possess many gems but it is a shame they require a treasure hunt.” She'd never understood the Dementlieuse belief that an effusion of words was a better indication of intelligence than clarity of expression. Different culture, different emphasis... “I hope you have uncovered that point, or would you perhaps like a little more time?”
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

He took her hand and nodded. "I am fine, thank you.

"Though I am afraid that this particular volume appears to be useless. I have gone over it a number of times over the past three days and have found little of substance. I believe that this was nothing more than an attempt to ensure that a collection of his more dissmal attempts at poetry were published."

Putting away his note books Hartly motioned for Kingsley to follow him to the exit.

"The staff know to the books on hold until I return." He commented as they made their way through the stacks. "I have been coming here long enough that they know my habits. In fact, I have spent so much time here that the students had began to mistake me for a ghoul which supposedly haunts the library. It was all quite amusing until a slackjawed divinities student decided to 'dispel' me with a vial of holy water and ruined a perfectly good copy of Betrain's The Ethereal World. Suffice it to say, I was not amused."

He paused in the great hall to signal to a librarian that he was done for the day.

"The is a comfortable cafe down the street where we might find a good meal and some privacy to discuss our mutual interests. Shall we go?"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude shook her head sympathetically over the book’s uselessness. She had the same problem when she was reading about ‘visions’. Sometimes they were useful as insights to a faith, and could in rare instances, be prophetic. But so many were personal symbols, and she abhorred numerology.

She covered her lips as she smiled, close to laughter, able to see too clearly the scene in the area before her. “Oh for heavens’ sake…I must commend his bravery to think that it would only take one vial and a pillar of faith. Did you dispel him?” she asked. Assaulting fellow readers and ruining a book would have been good grounds for banning as far as she was concerned.

"Thank you, I would enjoy that," she said at the mention of the cafe. Walking out of the silent sanctuary there were greeted by the noise of traffic, passersby, and street pedlars. A woman lifted a bouquet in the scholar's direction which she silently declined with a shake of her head.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

"He... realized his mistake." Hartly said with a dark chuckle. "And was very apologetic."

The walk to the cafe took only a few minutes, though the brisk winter air made it feel longer. Hartly was fairly silent for the walk, content to mention a few theories and listen to Kingsley give her opinions on them.

Finally they arrived at Les Poissons Dansants where he guided her to a private table as close to the fire as possible. He waited until they had ordered and had been served their drinks.

"I understand that you have traveled much as of late, Professor." He said, sipping his wine. "May I ask if it has proven very fruitful?"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“You were very kind,” she remarked. The high ground was sometimes the wisest way to go, she reflected; she would barter however that the student’s parentage wasn’t one the library would have wanted to offend. At the very least it seemed that Hartly had been left alone since the faux pas.

At the cafe, she was glad for their proximity to the fire. It was obviously a favourite of scholars; the conversations taking place at nearby tables were sometimes intense but quiet. The servers moved among the tables with an easy familiarity acquired by a regular clientele. I must remember this place...

She sipped her merlot, enjoying its taste, and grew thoughtful as she thought back over the last couple of months. “I’ve been as far as Nevuchar Springs, and been granted a couple of lengthy interviews with Teodorus Raines. He’s utterly fascinating.

“Apart from Dilisnya, I don’t believe the others did. I believe their visions were simply metaphors for their insights. Raines however…” She shook her head. “He sincerely believes that Ezra does talk to him. I wish she’d been so thoughtful as to do it during our interview; I’d love to have perceived the state he enters when it occurs.” She shrugged at the lost opportunity.

“His theories are primitive but he does have an incredible presence. He’s going to cause problems for the church with every year that brings us closer to his Time of Unparalleled Darkness. If he survives another twenty years it will be a miracle. But do you know, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a new land emerged that he’d lead his true believers to for safety. He'd certainly make an interesting...patriarch." Mind you, he'd have to do something incredible to become a darklord, but I really don't think that's beyond him at all...

“But on to more pleasant topics! I’m meeting Caille next week; I didn’t have time to see her on my way to Richemulot. I’m curious to see how she’s implementing the Third Book’s agenda.” She smiled. “I also can’t resist asking her opinion about Raines. His attempt at diplomatic answers concerning the other sects was certainly amusing.”

Her soupe a l'oignon gratinee arrived and she gently broke its crust of cheese and bread, letting the steam escape and giving it a chance to cool off. In a lower voice, she added, "Speaking of Ezra's sects, I'll be returning to Souragne in April. I'm curious to see whether they've had any problems with Raines' or the others since my last visit."

"Have you ever been there?" she asked the gaunt scholar.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

"I met Raines once." Hartly said. "We had a disagreement in matters of faith. He wished to... question me further on the matter and I declined his invitation. He seemed to be quite upset when I pointed out the similarities in intonation and gesture used by his Anchorites and the Faithful of the Eternal Order when they cast their spells."

He paused as the serving girl brought the meal.

"After our last meeting the Umbra took interest in me. Before the incident I had been quite critical of the Order's choice restrictions and that made them nervous. As a result I have spent the past few months at their tender mercies, waiting for them to decide my fate." He finished his wine in one gulp and signaled for the girl to refill his glass.

"If it weren't for the healing I gave Lord Balfour..." He fell silent for a while, focusing instead on his meal.

"But all of that is in the past." He said eventually, "In return for my service I am to be reward with a singular opportunity. I am going to gain access to the private archives of Ste. Mere Des Larmes. The information contained within will be quite useful in my studies, and I feel that it might shed some light on another way of approaching our... acquaintence."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Raines then the Fraternity… Hartly is not a man to shy from confrontations, she thought. But he is also a man who stands up for his principles, and makes them clearly known. This was not the kind of man to resort to espionage to further his cause.

Gertrude wondered if it had been provoked by an offended Brother taking advantage of the volatile situation. She was angry that the Fraternity had felt such a need to question his loyalties. She remembered the healing he’d granted her, and their feverish work in the laboratory. “I am very sorry,” she said softly, “And very glad that the matter was properly settled.”

Her eyes gleamed at his reward. “That is impressive. I envy you.” At the reference to van Rijn, she said, “I have some interesting news on that point. I’d asked the Brautslava Institute to reserve several papers and books on the topic which came up at our last seminar. Apparently our colleague had borrowed them but forgotten to return them.

“I wonder whether this is a regular habit of his. He seems to be interested in the works of Salome Hightower. She apparently hadn’t met the requirements of our fine organization,” she added dryly. “I’m planning to return to the library to see if she’s published anything to the wider public. It might throw light upon our colleague’s interests.”
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

"Salome Hightower?" Hartly murmured. "I'm sorry, I do not recognize the name."

He reached into his bag and removed several papers which he handed to Kingsley.

"These are preliminary theories, based on what I know about positive and negative energies and the nature of the Shroud for the creation of device to counter any Doomsday weapon that Van Rijin comes up with. Unfortunately, given a number of years and I might have been able to put the device into use, but I feel that it would be foolish to pursue that end in what limited time we must have. That is why I am hoping to discover the component necessary for several spells in the church archives. Is there anything that you would like me to keep an eye out for in my research?"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“I’ve never heard of her either,” the professor replied. She paused at a possibility. “She’d apparently been last seen by a Brother I know two years ago in Lamordia. Hightower’d mentioned finding a powerful patron, and was doing a tour of the Core. I wonder if it’s related in any way, since the books I sought have been missing for three years? She apparently still seemed to have a bit of a grudge at her rejection…” I should mention this to the Countess…

She eagerly took the papers, reaching for her carpetbag to safely store them away. “Thank you very much.” Surprise was clear on her face as she listened to their contents, and she stared at Hartly, forgetting his question. “So you too! Hartly, I know nothing about this device! Who created it and why?!"
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

"I found references about the device in the remains of a journal in Richemulot." Hartly took out another notepad and seemed to be following down a list. "The author called himself 'Arlo of the Vermillion Cloth", or some other foolish name that adventurers give themselves. He claimed that he had joined up with a group of outlanders in order to combat a secret society called the Ebon Fold. There is little on why it was created, but they tracked the finished device to a Kargatane lair in Darkon where Azalin Rex himself was trying to harness its energies."

He put the notepad away.

"What follows are pages of his rantings on the horror of the aftermath and his desperate search for a cure for undeath."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Azalin Rex… The professor tried to make sense of the situation, ignoring the plight of the lost, doomed Arlo. “The king shares one obvious similarity with our colleague,” she murmured, thinking of his lichdom. “But surely the invention wasn’t solely based on the principle that misery loves company… The most obvious reason for its creation would be freedom. But if it failed the first time, and there were no witnesses to survive to see its cause…” Her voice trailed away as she realised there had been survivors. Of a sort.

What would have been used to create such a thing, to destroy a whole city? She recalled Hartly’s earlier question, “Oh, as for things to look for…” She shook her head, baffled. “Unnatural destructions of cities, apart from the Great Upheaval? Mass appearances of undead?” She gave a wry smile. “Texts on the taboo topic of necromancy which relate to such a manifestation of power, of course. The Ebon Fold… Artefacts of Ra, Belenus, Osiris, and the Morninglord…” Whether any of this would be in the archive, she had no clue, but it was worth the rare attempt to check and see. “I am sorry, I really am at a loss to think what else to suggest.”

Unhappy with her feeble answer, she decided to approach the problem from a different angle. “Van Rijn can’t be working on his own. I know there were many rumours suggesting that the Necropolis or Darkon was involved in this project, but I haven’t heard any verification of this. Have you?”
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Hartly shook his head.

"I'm afraid not. Whatever aids Van Rijn is dangerous indeed to wish to know how to build the device. I believe that the it is likely that Death is somehow involved." He chuckled darkly, "Or perhaps it is some rogue chapter of the Guardians trying to keep 'dark knowledge' from unworthy hands."