Would a Fanfic section be of use on the boards?

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth

Would you like to see a fan fiction section added to the boards?

Yes, definitely!!
74%
No, I don't think that would really add anything to the boards.
3%
Honestly, I'm not too sure...
24%

Total votes: 38

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

NeoTiamat wrote:Might I also suggest that completed works be fit somewhere on the main website? In the Library or Veranda, or perhaps a new section might be added (the 'Reading Room' perhaps?).
Threads tend to last a couple years, but I don't think any of the moderators would object to the idea of putting completed works in a more permanent place. Depending upon the specific outcome(s), we could create a fiction netbook (yearly?) that contains cleaned copies of contributors stories. Otherwise, we might just host individual contributions.

We'll have to wait and see... :)
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:"Shared World" is a literary device whereby many different authors used the same setting and possibly the same characters. Its similar to the Lovecraft mythos, where the same people and places show up in the work of different authors.
Lovecraft is more of a mythos or cohesive universe. It's like Joss Whedon's Buffyverse where everything is fairly related under a single person's vision.

Shared worlds are where the same setting is used by different authors. Some might be allowed limited changes but for the most part the world is static. D&D worlds tend to be Shared Worlds. Dragonlance is the prime example. Star Trek is a TV example where writers dip in and tell their tales and there is no single vision.
They tend to be anti-art and limited (as is 90% of fanfiction) but Ravenloft lends itself to themes, subtext and the like more than other settings. So we might slip in some decent stories and tales.
Really it might be better to think of it as a place of gothic tales and short stories of all kinds, but with a preference for locations in the 'Loft.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

IIRC, the original "Tales of Ravenloft" anthology that TSR published has a majority of Ravenloft-specific stories, but also a few (e.g. the Arabian-style one) that are generic enough that they could be made to fit just about any setting. It was their Gothic/fantasy theme that united them, far more than explicit references to Ravenloft NPCs or the Dark Powers.

Really, if a story could fit into Ravenloft, that's probably all it'd need to be considered "shared world" RL fiction. Gothic Earth stories would also be welcome ... or even off-world tales that relate to other game-settings' eerie rumors about the Demiplane of Dread, for that matter.

As for a permanent place for the stories, assuming there's enough of them, we could compile a sequal to the "Tales of the Mists" netbook. If there aren't enough submissions for that, the best could still be preserved for posterity in QtR, as already mentioned.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

I'm all for it. I actually sat down a couple of weeks ago and got a start on a Gothic Earth fic for my own amusement; it would be lovely to have a place to share it. :) And I always love seeing what others might contribute--overall, I think the odds are good that we'll have more than our share of decent writers in the mix. Again, though, I cannot stress the importance of beta readers, and offer my services as one. :D
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Sounds like we're well on our way, then. I am very happy to see other members share an interest in fan crafted stories of Ravenloft as well. And Rotipher, I hope that your writing schedule clears up this summer so you can add something as well. I look forward to the possibility of a piece of fan literature from you. :)

*casts a sending spell*

Raphael, do you think that you would be adding something as well to this if it takes off?
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So be our guest and start writing :)

I suggest you put "(fiction)" in the title of your post when you start a new thread, so we could easily track them.

As my colleagues said, if many of them pop in and stay for long, we could indeed open a board dedicated to fiction. But first let's see the demand for it :)

And sure, if anybody wants to collect the best of them, we could host that document I guess.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:I suggest you put "(fiction)" in the title of your post when you start a new thread, so we could easily track them.
I've just added it to my title, thanks Joël. I guess I should've done that originally, eh?
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I have just deleted my comment from that thread so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story. If Guardian of Twilight wants to open a new thread called "Comments on [his thread name]" I can repost the comments there. It's up to you.

Keep up the good writing!
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I'd like to see a fiction forum as it'd be a wonderful Dming resource. I wish I could say that I'd contribute- but I have difficulty articulating the exact wording to create the proper mood, though I never lack of ideas :cry:
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

HuManBing wrote:I have just deleted my comment from that thread so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story. If Guardian of Twilight wants to open a new thread called "Comments on [his thread name]" I can repost the comments there. It's up to you.

*embarrassed cough*

Yeah, I thought about it and just forgot to. That's kind of embarrassing, but in my defense I am working on the next part of the story...

Does that make up for it? :)
Last edited by Guardian of Twilight on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mordentish proverb
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I'll contribute to them, but as I mentioned before, not till I'm done with the VRS stuff.

Personally, I think that it'll come together, but not very quickly. Writing up a decent story is not something that can be done quite spur-of-the-moment.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Joël of the FoS

HuManBing wrote:I have just deleted my comment from that thread so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story. If Guardian of Twilight wants to open a new thread called "Comments on [his thread name]" I can repost the comments there. It's up to you.

I don't think any author would mind other people putting comments right in the story thread, by the way :) In fact, it would be better if all stories and comments / suggestions would be in the same thread... if only for board clarity.

So if you don't mind, I deleted the "comments welcome" thread. I think it's a better idea if story and comments are kept within the same thread!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ooh... that is a good point. I have no clue how stuff like this works personally. Is there no way to have a sub thread inside a thread?

(More importantly, does that even make sense and you understand what I am trying to say?)
-Mordentish proverb
Joël of the FoS

Guardian of Twilight wrote:(More importantly, does that even make sense and you understand what I am trying to say?)
Yes, I think :)
Guardian of Twilight wrote:Ooh... that is a good point. I have no clue how stuff like this works personally. Is there no way to have a sub thread inside a thread?
No, a sub-thread isn't possible for now.

Joël
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Is there no way to have a sub thread inside a thread? (More importantly, does that even make sense and you understand what I am trying to say?)
It makes sense, but I don't think that there is any way to create a subthread within the original. You will just have to keep comments within the original story thread.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]