Staunton Bluffs Rules & FAQ

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign

Which shall be the setting for our next adventure?

A direct continuation of the story told in the SB campaign?
44%
A completely new Ravenloft campaign set somewhere in the lands of the Core?
44%
A new Ravenloft campaign involving another Island in the Mists?
11%

Total votes: 9

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Was the albino woman Ezra, after all?
Nathan of the FoS wrote: Was there something that could have happened there that didn't because of the other PCs choices?
Here are some answers:
Rafael wrote:
VAN wrote: Have you really plannned that woman to be Ezra or you have changed your mind?
No, that was planned right from the beginning. :) The game was pretty phantasmagorial (what a word) at times, but I think the main plot could be summarized in one or two sentences...
VAN wrote: Also is that the finale you have thought or have you changed it for us since we have crossed the portal?
Well, for the final fight, in which Ewan/Jamethon, as always, prooved to be the most effective and DM-troubling player :wink:, I had basically three options, apart from TPK:

1. The players kill Lodissio, and release Ezra, who beats the dragon.

2. The party cannot save Ezra, which ends with Lodissio escaping and the domain of Staunton Bluffs desintegrates. I won't reveal too much about this option, since some details may still become relevant in our supposed sequel, but this would have been the choice that would have lead to Tepest or Sanguinia, depending on your choices...

3. The "best ending", with the party and the goddess going through the portal, - Which is what you did, in the end. :)

Congratulations!
Nathan of the FoS wrote:How were Lodissio and his compatriots able to use her (whoever she was) to make the portal? Why did Bleysmith care?
Rafael hasn't respond to these yet.
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Will we ever know the truth, Rafael? ;) :P
Yeah? Do we ever know Raf?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Nathan of the FoS wrote: Was there something that could have happened there that didn't because of the other PCs choices?
Exactly. First off, I had expected to introduce Roland and Dru in Willisford, but since Moorkroft shot the sheriff, that was where the problems began...

I also had expected the players to actually LISTEN to Lodissio in the final confrontation and to become unsure what would be the right path... The question was pretty much: If Ezra dies, will the Mists desintegrate and everyone living there be killed, or is it right for the players to claim their freedom from this plane of imprisonment? Fallenleaf would have been the other final "boss", should the party have tried to escape with Lodissio. - Yepp, you understand me right: There is no Demiplane of Dread supposed to exist any more, since taking Ezra away supposedly destroyed it. Whatever consequences that may bring, is what the next campaign will deal with...
Nathan of the FoS wrote: We won't delete the threads for...well, years, probably. Since we have lots of server space (last I heard) we have no reason to.
Thank you very much! :) It would have been a pity to see it all go so suddenly! :)
Nathan of the FoS wrote: Was the albino woman Ezra, after all? How were Lodissio and his compatriots able to use her (whoever she was) to make the portal?
In the - now deleted - Prologue to SB, the members of the "Mordent Cartographers Society" sent the party on a mission to map the county of Staunton - which, as was told everywhere, was somehow claimed back by the mists. This was becuase someone had discovered Ezra's grave and released the spirits of her children...

The party missed many hints where I explicitely stated that EZRA was the force holding the mists together, pushing back the dark powers from devouring them... Why she was doing this, however, if out a sense of guilt or responsibility, is what you will learn in my next game, if you like.
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Why did Bleysmith care?
Because he was her elder brother, and because it was her spell that ultimately bound him to the mists. (WHOA! Major spoiler! :shock: :wink:)
Nathan of the FoS wrote: Will we ever know the truth, Rafael? ;) :P
You already know big part of the deal, but since the party missed some (very easy) parts of the plot, or just made the wrong conclusions, it might be more difficult to understand everything. :) That's not bad though - unless some major questions are left open for you... Ravenloft should keep a sense of mystery in the end...

After all, the plot prooved so complex that we really need a sequel to tie in all the loose ends. The sequel however, will put things in a definite context ehich explain basically my view of Ravenloft as I play it in my home campaigns. :)
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Moorkroft shot the sheriff
But I'll bet he didn't shoot the deputy.

Sorry, couldn't resist
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Rafael wrote: There is no Demiplane of Dread supposed to exist any more, since taking Ezra away supposedly destroyed it. Whatever consequences that may bring, is what the next campaign will deal with...
Oh boy, I though we only destryed a domain, not the whole Demiplane! We are really good... 8)
Rafael wrote: In the - now deleted - Prologue to SB, the members of the "Mordent Cartographers Society" sent the party on a mission to map the county of Staunton - which, as was told everywhere, was somehow claimed back by the mists. This was becuase someone had discovered Ezra's grave and released the spirits of her children...
I bet this someone (who BTW should be very powerful and intelligent to know how to use these spirits to bind Ezra) gonna be our next bad guy right?
Rafael wrote:
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Why did Bleysmith care?
Because he was her elder brother, and because it was her spell that ultimately bound him to the mists. (WHOA! Major spoiler! :shock: :wink:)
Who is Blaysmith? The Darklord, the mad wizard who was flying over us?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Le Noir Faineant

VAN wrote: I bet this someone (who BTW should be very powerful and intelligent to know how to use these spirits to bind Ezra) gonna be our next bad guy right?
You would probably not want to play in the new game if you knew who the next BBEG was...
VAN wrote: Who is Blaysmith? The Darklord, the mad wizard who was flying over us?
Bingo. :)
LouisVendredi wrote:
Moorkroft shot the sheriff
But I'll bet he didn't shoot the deputy.

Sorry, couldn't resist
:P Actually, I think it was Tavian (anyone remember him?) who shot the other woodsman... That *trouser incident* was one of the more famous events of this campaign, I think... :)

George always was the voice of reason in our group. I hope we will see him back in autumn as well - the enxt game will definitely rely less on action and more on suspense. :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Rafael wrote:
VAN wrote: I bet this someone (who BTW should be very powerful and intelligent to know how to use these spirits to bind Ezra) gonna be our next bad guy right?
You would probably not want to play in the new game if you knew who the next BBEG was...
What does this mean? Big Bad Evil Guy? :lol:
- W H A T ! ? !
Le Noir Faineant

VAN wrote:
Rafael wrote:
What does this mean? Big Bad Evil Guy? :lol:
:) Correct.
Le Noir Faineant

An important request:

I'll post a couple of questions over at www.candlekeep.com in the next few weeks. They will be easily recognizable, since I'll post as *Rafael* there, as I do here.

PLEASE, DON'T read them! They will NOT deal with the details of the enw campaign, but provide major spoilers.

So, KEEP AWAY from www.candlekeep.com or browse with caution! :wink:

Yours,

Rafael
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rafael, I got that Ezra was Bleysmith's sister. The boy Armitage said that Stonecrest was his uncle's [Bleysmith] castle. Since it soon became apparent that Ezra was indeed the boy's mother, that would make her Bleysmith's sister. Thing is, Jamethon had no idea what a darklord was. He didn't know Ravenloft was a demiplane, or any of that stuff.

As a player, I suspected that freeing Ezra would ''blow up'' Ravenloft. Jamethon didn't necessarilly know that, but he did expect something really big to happen. A miracle. And so it was. Truthfully, if Jamethon had known all the stuff we know, he'd still have done it. 'Cause he's crazy. Don't forget, he's totally out of his head with religion. :wink:
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Le Noir Faineant

:wink: Oh, and the imps on your shoulders are gone again... Just to make clear that you would be a prisoner in the asylum when the party gathers there. :)
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

George always was the voice of reason in our group.
Really? I never thought of him as such. How so?
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Le Noir Faineant

:P
LouisVendredi wrote:Silently, George removes his backpack and weapon belt as well as all his other equipment (but not the dagger stashed in his boot). He does not strip. He shouts to Wedge, "There! I have abandoned my equipment. Let us in!"
LouisVendredi wrote:Shaken, but relieved that the vampire has fallen down the stairs and is not menacing him alone, George gets to his feet in cautious pursuit of the creature.

Catching a glimpse out of a window, George notices that the house seems to be floating high in the air.

After a brief spell of vertigo, George calls out to his companions, "Can vampires fly? Let's push her out of the house."

He then looks to see if there is an exit he can shove the vampire out.
LouisVendredi wrote:George responds to Jamethon: "I have no idea what they're doing or where that portal (if it is one) leads. Maybe we could ask them?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I also had expected the players to actually LISTEN to Lodissio in the final confrontation and to become unsure what would be the right path... The question was pretty much: If Ezra dies, will the Mists desintegrate and everyone living there be killed, or is it right for the players to claim their freedom from this plane of imprisonment?
Most of this went over Shana's (and my) head. She had no idea how Ravenloft worked, who Ezra was or her significance, and in any case she takes a very personal view of things. Lodissio had betrayed her, ergo, he was bad.
Le Noir Faineant

:) Naah, this was not meant as criticism towards you players.

It was the same with Moorkroft shooting the sheriff - you do something out of your persective, and I cannot count with me foretelling everyone of your actions; that's what makes the thrill of an RPG for me. That one has things planned doesn't mean the plan must be followed. :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Rafael wrote:
LouisVendredi wrote:Catching a glimpse out of a window, George notices that the house seems to be floating high in the air.
After a brief spell of vertigo, George calls out to his companions, "Can vampires fly? Let's push her out of the house."
He then looks to see if there is an exit he can shove the vampire out.
:shock: But... vampires can turn to bats and smoke, so they can fly. Do you really throw a vampire from the flying house? Was there sun outside?
- W H A T ! ? !