RL:O - The City of Spices

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Once everyone is awake and their aching heads taken care of, you set out into the city towards the port. It is a sunny day and warm. Citizens are about whether they be heading for the merchant's quarters or simply out for a walk. When you arrive at the port it is all hustle and bustle. People milling about it appears to be really busy. Looking to the docks, you can see why. Several big ships are docked and workers were wrking fervently to empty each one. The afster a ship was emptied, the sooner it could go on it's next run. AS you walked near the pier in question, the area was much quieter. That was fine if not fot he fact that the slaver's boat had a full crew, it seemed, yet nothing was coming on or off of it.

You so stop and look around. The slaver's boat, The Sea Sprite, as you'd seen had a full crew complement. Those of you with keen eyes noticed that all were armed with scabbards and some even had holsters for pistols. If you compare that to other ships, it was a very different story. Most crew members on other ships weren't armed and these crews were busy tending to emptying their cargo. The men on the Sea Sprite looked to be thugs or cut throats. To the regular population of the city they'd seem unbeatable. To your experienced eyes however, they'd not be that hard to defeat. As well they seemed to be more or less paying attention which meant that if the evening watch was the same, you'd have a walk in the park.

Once you were staisfied you'd seen enough, you head back for JArg's safehouse. Inside, Jarg asks "So what do you think?"
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise says with a muttered chant, "Let's take them high and take them low, in that way shall we smite our foe." He continues, "Let's whittle down their numbers. I like what we talked about before, Jarg. That is, you and I can get onboard - either disguised or invisible - and go below decks, while Shana and Inovidil can use illusions and a lightning bolt to scare most of the slavers off, and we'll release the slaves to create chaos and attack the crew. The hardier, more seasoned pirates who are left will be easy prey for the four of us."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"okay.. lets do it!"

Shana begins murmuring an incantation, fingers forming strange patterns, and a fog begins to gather around the slaver's ship, a fog in which curious shapes seem to form and vanish...
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

OOC: I guess we're fast-forwarding to the evening! Fine with me. :)

Blaise had talked about his skills with disguises earlier, but Jarg's magical hat put his mundane talent to shame. Still, by watching the pirates come and go during the day, he felt confident that he was able to successfully mimic the appearance of one who had left to gather supplies earlier.

Now, turning to Jarg, he says in an excited whisper from their hiding spot on the docks, "Now, as they puzzle over misty shapes, let's you and I perform our deviltry below decks!" With a wink toward Shana and Inovidil, he begins walking casually toward the ramp, taking advantage of the growing distraction caused by the fog...
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC: YEs I guess it's on!

Jarg winks back at Blaise. By merely concentrating he now assumed the form a pirate. He followed suite and they walked up the ramp. The fog did indeed provide good cover, thanks to Shana's spell. Both Jarg and Blaise made it on deck. The slavers seemed more concerned with the mysterious fog than anything else. Moving around quickly they search and Jarg's keen eyes spot an opening in the deck. Looking at Blaise he grins as he points to the opening.

The sneak up to it and peer down. Blaise can't see very well, but Jarg has better luck. He points down then holds up his hand with the index and forefinger apart mouthing to Blaise "Two guards" He reaches down and removes a dagger from each boot, grinning wildly at Blaise. He slides open his cloak, showing a hand crossbow on his forearm. Raising his eyebrows questioningly to Blaise, he offers the small but deadly bow to the man. Mouthing "Make sure you give it back"

Once Blaise takes the tiny bow, he looks at the man and mouths " One......."....... Right arm raises........."Two........." Jarg appears to concentrate and a faerie fire suddenly appears below, illuminating the deck below. "Three!.............. Blaise never did see Jarg cast but before he can blink a dagger has already left the dark elf's hand, flying true. One of the two guards he'd mentioned slid slowly to the floor. Where his eye used to be was a dagger buried to the hilt. "Cover me!" He hisses as he jumps the 10 feet down. The other dagger has already left his hand and hits the second guard in the chest, stunning him. Jarg tumbles to him and stand before him. "Don't hurt me! I'll give you gold, tell you anything I swear!"

Jarg merely nods no to the injured man, and now changes his appearance to his natural self. The man's eyes go wide in complete fear. "I... no.....no...HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Jarg's foot strikes the man in the face, knocking him out. He removes his dagger and looks up to Blaise. "Get down here so we can find the slaves and any other men. We can search them later, okay?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

OOC: Your assumption underestimates Shana's impulsiveness... but I assume you stop her and we return at night :P

The fog shrouds the ship in a silent drifting cloud, cold, sending a chill to the very bone. Then, suddenly, the shapes in the mist form more defintion and hooded shapes form out of the swirling clouds, stepping from the mist onto the deck with soft steps, but steps that seem to send a tremor through the deck. Then, the thirteen cowled shapes throw back their hoods to reveal fleshless skulls, green fire flickering in the eyesockets, jaws gaping as the cold wind moans "vengeance!"

The ship's crew begin milling about the deck in panic as the captain screams orders
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil has already casted fly on herself in order to be ready. When she sees the ghosts smiles to Shana's illusion, it was a good one! Immediately she concentrates and waving her hands she chants. Soon after she becomes invisible.

OOC> Improved invisibility :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Blaise nods and moves quickly around the lower deck, navigating the mess and the shadows with surprising ease.* He hears shouts of panic above, and he ducks behind a crate just as two more crewmen run from the back of the ship and charge, swords drawn, up the stairs that he and Jarg had just descended, too preoccupied to notice their fallen comrade in the gloom.

"Sounds like Shana is being creative," he says a few seconds later to Jarg, who is keeping their injured prisoner quiet. Blaise continues aft and sees a large hatch in the floorboards. A padlock and heavy chains keep it sealed. Even through the thick wood, Blaise thinks he can smell the sweat and despair of the hold's "cargo."

He takes a step back and extends his hands, muttering. "Fiends who use the whip and chain, Drown this night in waves of pain." A blood-red blast of energy, surrounded by spiralling silver threads, shoots out from his hand and destroys the lock. "Jarg, they're here," he says, pulling back the chains.

*Thanks to the warlock's see the unseen invocation and its 24-hour length, Blaise has darkvision and can see invisible objects. :)
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jarg nods to Blaise. "Ok let's make sure the slaves are ok then go help with the cleanup. The injured man won't bother us and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is our proof for the city watch as well. I tied him up good." Once the hatch is opened the two peer inside. The smell of sweat is much stronger along with a few other scents not to be mentioned to the ladies. "Hello down there!" Jarg calls out. "We're here to rescue you good people. Stand back while I toss a sunrod below." And with that Jarg removes such an item from his pack and breaking it in half, he tosses it below. Illuminating the rather small hold both Blaise and Jarg can testify that there are at least two score of women below. All look bedraggled, emaciated but unharmed for the most part.

"Listen to me. We will return shortly to free you ladies. So don't despair! We justwant to secure the ship and make sure no slavers are left."

A woman below rasps "Thanks......" Jarg nods to Blaise. Both men head do eventually find stairs and head back up to the deck.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC: Girls have a little fun as the slavers are ill equipped for an actual attack on the ship. Post away, have a little fun.....
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OOC: Van is busy so she asked me to post for Inovidil's Lightning Bolt.

Inovidil remembers exactly where the mast was. Removing fur from her pocket and a cyrystal she begins humming and chanting in Draconic, her fingers moving in intricate patterns. Her hand begins cackling with energy and as she nears teh completion of the spell her hand is enrobed in electrical energy. With the last words of the spell a massive lightning bolt flies from her hand and strikes true on the mast. Energy and lightning crackle as the mast begins cracking and splitting in protest, finally shattering into pieces shwoering the deck with red hot debris. Yells of fear and shock can be heard as whomever was on deck are now yelling "Abandon ship!" To which some splashes can be heard in the water. Others yell out "We surrender! We surrender!" And walk with their hands up down the ramp."

Blaise and Jarg nearly get hit by debris but dodge easily the falling smiking wood. They satmp out the hot pieces and after hearing the splashes and the men saying they surrender grin at each other. "That was easy, Blaise. I though it might be!" Whatsay you get the guards here and I'll get the women free?" Without waiting for a response, Jargheads back down and now in elf form approaches the women. Deftly unlocking their cage he then unshackles them all. HE is grinly reminded of how his people treat slaves and actaully use slaves and fumes inwardly. He is glad he could do this little bit. Leading the women to the top deck he leads them to the ramp. "Inovidil and Shana I have the slaves here and all are women. Might you come help them? I have to get our prisoner."

As soon as the girls arrive he returns to the unconscious thug. Still fuming he slaps the thug once. Then again for good measure.
"Ouch! Hey don't hurt me! I'll tell you what you want to know I swear" The man is clearly frightened. Jarg concentrates and a faerie fire illuminates the man's belt, enough for him to see Jarg. Jarg then concentrates and his true form appears. Now the man struggles and yells "HELP!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Jarg's hand balls into a fist and he punches him in the face, breaking the man's nose. Blood spurts everywhere as Jarg steps back. "Listen to me and listen closely, scum" Jarg says in an ice cold voice "You're dead friend over there" he points to the dead man with the dagger protruding from his eye "is lucky to be dead. You, ny friend aren't lucky to be alive, especially with me here alone with you. I know torture tactics.... I can make you live for days and days... bring you bcak then torture you some more." The man's eyes are wide with fear and he can't help himself as he wets his pants and begins weeping.

Jarg punches him in the nose again and he nearly passes out. HE ties the man's legs together. He grabs him by the scruff of his shirt and lifts him, slamming him into the wall hard. The man sees stars. "You are lucky this day. I am handing you over to the city guard. Unfortuantely you will be judged for your crimes. As for me I'd as soon feed you to the sharks" Jarg hisses. He reaches with his other hand and garbs the mans tied hands. He looks him right in the eye as he grabs a finger. In one swift movement he breaks it by pulling it back. He knees the man in between the legs right after. "You disgust me" he hisses to the now crumpled form of the thug.

Jarg concentrates and is now once again hsi elf persona. The grabs the unconscious man by the hands and drags him up the stairs just as Blaise arrives on deck.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Blaise had left Jarg and moved quickly across the deck, ducking pieces of smoking wood. "Nice work, Ino," he muttered, glancing upward with his arcane sight at the still-invisible form of his ally.

Now he rounds up the panicked crew, disgusted by the sight of them. One of the sailors, seeing only Blaise guarding them at the moment, decides to run for it. Angrily, Blaise chants, "Vengeance sails upon the seas, now strike this cur and make him freeze!" Another blast of energy surges from his hand, but instead of the red-silver color earlier, it's now a brilliant silver-blue.* The bolt strike the man squarely in the center of the back, and he collapses on the deck, his legs and torso covered in ice. He moans painfully and falls silent. Blaise glares back at the remaining crew. "No one moves until we say so."

As Jarg emerges with his beaten prisoner, Blaise nods. "Those steps are dangerous in the dark." He looks at Inovidil and Shana as they approach, and his mood lightens greatly. "Superb, ladies! Superb!"

*Hellrime blast = does cold damage.
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jarg nods to Blaise, Inovidil and Shana. Then he looks at the crew with a look of utter disgust. He unceremoniously tosses the thug on the deck. Looking at the rest of the crew he merely says "I have something to show you, don't go anywhere." Jarg descends below and emerges a minute later with the dead crew member, dagger still in his eye. Jarg approaches the men and tosses the dead man in their midst. He bends down and retrieves his dagger, his eyes never leaving the remaining crews eyes. He wipes the gory, bloody dagger on the dead man's shirt. Then he speaks. "Consider yourselves lucky. The same fate would have fallen on you if I'd had my way. My friends merely reminded me that you weren't worth the effort." He spits on the ground and looks at the others. "These men sicken me. I'll be waiting off the boat."

Jarg descends the ramp and waits ten feet away, arms crossed.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana swaggers down to the crew and looks concernedly at the slaves as she helps them up on deck. She then turns and gazes at the prisoners.

"now, these ladies are going to need passage home... and they have no money. Who would like to make a contribution to the costs of their passage?"

She grins wickedly, flames curling around her fingers and her eyes glowing and emerald green
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

When the duration of her spell is over, Inovidil appeares again next to Shana and paying an icy look the slaves captors she says:

"You know, if we are not pleased with your contribution, the ghosts and lightingbolts will start again!"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!