Realms of Dread- a brief interlude

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Realms of Dread- a brief interlude

Post by ewancummins »

the Old Shell

The place has been pretty well cleaned up since yesterday, although a few chairs are missing. This morning is like any other usual day at the Shell- breakfast being served to a thin crowd of mostly locals. There are flatcakes with spiced apples on the day's menu.

The party [except for Jamethon and Ironheart] have gathered together at the Old Shell, the morning after the party. It was a long night for all of you, so this morning at breakfast is the first chance the party has had for a meeting without people nodding off....
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"...So," Alain begins rather apprehensively. "...Does anyone have know what exactly happened?" Awaiting a response, he idly picks at his plate of eggs with a heal of bread.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I think we got stonewalled or somethin'. The case ain't even solved an we bin put to another. I dun like it at all. We prolly were gettin' close. We kin still look into the case on our time, if ye git me meanin?," Rardi says with a twinkle in her eye.

Eating her third helping, she muses over the situation more. "What's yer take on tha Necromancer? As ye know, I be of the Lathander faith so 'e's not high up in me esteem, to say the least.

As fer Blaise an I, we went to the brothel and learned a few tidbits."

The dwarf goes on to explain what she learned with Blaise at the whorehouse. She adds "Ah, Archedius an I met this Threan feller. Fer a gnome, he's an all right fella in me book. Though Gnomes should have more facial hair, they'd be more attractive if ye ask me!"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"If that is true," Alain begins, "Then that could imply Rask is involved. Either that or he is under the influence of a bribe."
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius finds himself consuming large amounts of meat and milk mixed with blood. In between consuming more than would seem normal, he offers a thought,

"Yes, somewhere between the flophouse, blackpillars and the party we made ourselves a nuisance to someone. Not enough to where we have been murdered in our sleep, but enough to make someone the watch considers important uncomfortable." He takes a drink,

"We should take it as a compliment."

He finishes off his food and drink and stands. "I'm going to pay a visit to Threan and bring him back here. Please enlighten me to any insights you arrive to. Gentlemen, ladies." He bows and leaves.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil has a good breakfast this morning, eggs and a couple of toasts. She nods to all the statements her companions have made. Also she repeats what she has learnt following Delthrin because some of them were missing yesterday and haven't heard the news. When Archedius lefts she said:

"I agree that Threan has been assigned to us and we should look our new mission too, but honestly speaking I'd prefer dig a little more to our old case. I don't like what I have seen in the hidden place in rock, a child might be in danger and we definitely need to ask some questions to the Orphanage and to the woman at the other house Delthrin went."

She turns to Rardi and says:

"Your spells will help us very much in learning the truth, but we need a some tact since this case is officially closed now...I have prepared a spell that I can read the thoughts, this will be very handy as well."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

On the way to the Old Shell Threan spots Archedius from a different direction . But he just goes on in to the shell after spotting him, as is he doesn't want to stop him from going any were important .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius walks through the crowds and through his perifery espies a being of small stature look at him and walk past not far off. Not wishing to make a scene he non-chalantly changes direction to follow the gnome unseen and unheard.

He follows Threan all the way to the Old Shell. As Threan opens the door, Archedius taps on his shoulder "Hello, friend Threan. I was just looking for you. Let's go inside to see the others."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Once Archedius returns with Threan, Rardi greets the gmome and speaks.

"So what are we all thinking on the matter? So smugglers. That's a borin' task if'n ye be askin' me. I offer this as an idea, an I'd like yer input so we can decide on a course of action.

We be enough to split into two groups. One larger group can look into the smuggling but a smaller group can continue unofficially on our closed case. I know ye be tha Cap'n, Archedius but we be a team and I'm sure we'll all agree, less Threan cuz 'e wasn't there, that other case bears looking into."
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

"Agreed. I want to work the closed case as it doesn't matter if I get executed or imprisoned for disobeying orders."

"Any others not mind a court martial? We'll have to all agree that the team working the smuggler case must have the ability to deny knowing what the others were doing. It's only fair."

"So, who wants to help me?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I'm in," Rardi replies to her friend.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil greets Threen and nods in agreement.

"I'm definitely in but I think we cannot have 2 different teams. Despite I'm the first who says that our closed case needs more attention I'm pretty sure that Rask or maybe others will keep an eye on us and look if we indeed have dropped it and focus on the new one. So I think it's better all of us do both jobs. Depending on what we have to do we will split and share the tasks. So we will be all informed in both cases and everytime we can chose who to do what."

"I'm Inovidil, I don't think we have met. These are my friends Rardi, Archedius, Alan and Blaise. I don't know if you have heard anything about our previous mission, but I think we should fill you in since now you are part of our group."

Soon after she realizes that the gnome knows nothing about them, neither their names!

Turning to Threen Ino says:

"I'm really sorry, where are our manners! I'm Inovidil, I don't think we have met. These are my friends Rardi, Archedius, Alan and Blaise. I don't know if you have heard anything about our previous mission, but I think we should fill you in since now you are part of our group."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana wanders in rather later than the others, looking a little bleary eyed and sits down at the table, tucking into porridge.

"nice party. So what's up today? read the diary yet, Alain?"

Notices the Gnome and blinks

"oh.. good morning sir. Don't think we've met. Shana. Pleased to meet you".
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise says happily as Threan is introduced, "Pleased to meet you! I think we'll have much to talk about. My name is Blaise Redman."

He sits down again and resumes digging into his eggs. Between bites, he mumbles, "You know, my dear Ino ... I have to disagree with you." He sips some coffee and says, "The more of us who are doing 'double duty,' the greater the likelihood that one or more of us will be noticed by Rask.

"I second Rardi's thought. The more visible or 'flashier' types among us can pursue the smuggling case and keep Rask's attention focused on that, while a few others continue to investigate our original mystery, working in the shadows. If those of us dealing with the smuggling case are asked about the absence of the others, we simply say, 'Oh, they're pursuing leads in the bars and alleyways, pretending to be criminals themselves. Brilliant, no?' Their absence may not be questioned if Rask thinks they have gone, what's the word, undercover. This is a fine cup of coffee, by the way."

He smiles and continues, "As a proud 'flashy' type -- no puns about the other night, Shana -- and an excellent liar, I volunteer for the smuggling group."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

VAN wrote:"I agree that Threan has been assigned to us and we should look our new mission too, but honestly speaking I'd prefer dig a little more to our old case. I don't like what I have seen in the hidden place in rock, a child might be in danger and we definitely need to ask some questions to the Orphanage and to the woman at the other house Delthrin went."
"I agree with you, Inovidil. Although the prospect of parading about as a thief sounds entertaining, their could be a child in great danger."

kintire wrote:"nice party. So what's up today? read the diary yet, Alain?"
Alain looks to Shana. "Unfortunately not entirely. I will begin immediately."

After breakfast, Alain returns to his inn room to thoroughly read the diary he was given.