Realms of Dread Chapter Two

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:The Old Shell-
ewancummins wrote: ''Mister, you don't look well. Would you like some tea? Some breakfast?''
Alain smiles, through his state of drunkenness and replies, "No, I had better go look for them." finishing with a yawn. "Perhaps I could take a couple biscuits with me?"

''Sure. Here, I''l wrap some for you, mister.''

The freckle faced girl with the big teeth proceeeds to do just that, making a packet of biscuits for Alain to carry.

''Where shall you look, mister?''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The men guarding Rardi, Blaise, and Ino cry out upon seeing Shana use magic on Threan.

''She blasting him! ''

''Kill her, kill that damned witch! RIP HER HEART OUT!''

Naked hatred blazes in the eyes of the men as they watch Shana's attempt to enspell the gnome. Perhaps without thinking of doing so, they draw their weapons closer to the throats of Shana's companions, pressing painfully into the flesh but not quite cutting anyone's throat.

Sound rushes over Shana as the silence is replaced by shouts, the click of crossbows being loaded, and the Bailiff's strong voice- calling out orders from someplace behind the rim of the bluff.

''RELOAD! STAY LOW AND SPREAD OUT!''

Shana cannot actually see the Bailiff or his archers [and who knows what else] atop the cliff. They must be standing back too far for her to see from the beach, or else they are laying down.

The gnome ignores Shana's spell, and bounds away from her, moving with all speed towards the gravely injured- if not already dead- boy, Arnulf. When Threan, in three great springing leaps, reaches the boy's side, he drops his crossbow on the sand and grabs something from his pack: a pristine linen bandage. He moves to place the cloth on the boy's shattered body...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi looks at her guard. "Would ye mind if I sit? I'm not goin anywhere anyways, an me ands is tied. If I wanted to try somethin, I'd of done it a long time ago, sir."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Rardi looks at her guard. "Would ye mind if I sit? I'm not goin anywhere anyways, an me ands is tied. If I wanted to try somethin, I'd of done it a long time ago, sir."
The guard considers for a moment before answering.

'' If you tell the witch to surrender, I'll let you sit. If she gives up, we won't kill her, but she'll have to stand trial for what she did to Arnulf and the others. Your choice, dwarf.''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana assess the situation and turns towards Threan, eyes like ice. She points at him and begins to speak the words of a spell no one has heard her use before, and a chill begins to fall across the beach as reality ripples and begins to change into something terrible. But as she does so, she sees the bandage, and remembers the porch: and the feeling of terror fades. With a furious glance towards the bailiff, she utters a more familiar spell, and vanishes.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi curses under her breath. "I guess not, sir," and shakes her head sadly.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Waller [the spearman] walks over to Ironheart and jabs his spear into the fallen berserker's left shoulder. Blood oozes out, but Ironheart only groans feebly, unable to defend himself or move away from Waller.

''He's alive- for now, anyway...''

Waller then reverses his spear and smashes the butt into Ironheart's nose, shattering it with a sodden crunch. The fur-clad giant is instantly knocked out [if not killed...]
''That's for the boy, you filthy beast!''

A little distance away from Ironheart, Threan works on the battered boy, who lays dead-still on the blood-stained sand. The gnome touches Ironheart's unfortunate victim and whispers something inaudible to others. The boy stirs, coughing weakly.

The Bailiff [still hidden by the angle of view from those on the beach] calls out another set of orders:

''DOGS! Bring up the dogs and sweep that beach! Find that witch. I don't want any of you men getting killed or blinded trying to take her prisoner- just cut her down. NO QUARTER!''
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi looks at the guard very seriously. "I be a healer and can cure the lad if ye let me."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Rardi looks at the guard very seriously. "I be a healer and can cure the lad if ye let me."
''No magic! I told you that, stumpy!''
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The guards gag Rardi with a dirty piece of cloth torn from her shirt.

The Bailiff's men don't find Shana, despite having dogs follow her trail across the beach, they lose her at the water margin.

All the prisoners are bound hand and foot, gagged, and stripped of all gear except clothing. Even your footgear is taken away. All your possessions go into sacks, one for each of you- along with a seperate sack for anything believed to have possibly come from Delthrin's home, of course.

After a while, the Bailiff comes down to inspect his prisoners. He looks like a rather unremarkable fellow of forty or so, with a drooping mustache.
He wears a leather jack and carries a longsword and clasp knife, but is otherwise unarmed.

He regards Rardi with a cool eye.

''You needn't worry about my men slitting your throat, dwarf. Unlike you, I try to keep my prisoners alive.''
Walking over to Blaise, he says-

''I cannot risk letting you loose just now. I'm really am sorry about that. I understand that you didn't want to fight us. If you don't make trouble, I'll release you when it is safe for me to do so- after you answer my questions, of course.''
After being held on the beach under heavy guard for ten or twenty minutes, you are all taken to jail and tossed in seperate cells, still bound and gagged.

END OF CHAPTER TWO