Realms of Dread [IC] Chapter Three

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise tries to maintain a low profile during the proceedings, although he bowed respectfully to Ildool when the baron entered.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Narisa nods for the wine. "Forgive me fer sayin so, but it ain dwarvish ale. Tha dun mean I won have none, though."

She smiles as she accepts the alchohol, taking a swig of it. Then after the Undead Master tells of her test, she frowns slightly. She knows of the casket. And it is without a doubt protected somehow, probably by strong magics if she is right.

"I know of this casket. It will most probably be protected by magics. As for hiring help, I could do that, but I have no gold to speak of to offer. The only thing I can offer is whatever these thieves want to steal for themselves, ta be honest. I have no interest in anything from there nor gold, really. I jess have one question. Seeing as I dunno any real location fer these types o peoples, mebbe yerself or one of yer priests might know of an establishment I could go to in tha city ta hire me some help?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Fane of Myrkul

The Undead Master chuckles softly.

''Where to find help? Oh no, that's something you'll have to learn for yourself. Weren't you a member of the militia? Surely you know where to find criminals?''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Narisa laughs. "Of course! I just have one slight problem with this in that once I am successful, I do not want to be found out through magics that I was the one responsible. I am positive they gonna be lookin fer it as you well know. As fer payment, I kin sell this oil of daylight I was given by some priest who came ta visit me in prison on the island. I won' get inta details about me plan with you. Less ye know is better. I think I be returning there this night because though he has rejected me, they dun know that. Free place ta sleep too. If that be all, I'll be on me way, sir."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Narisa laughs. "Of course! I just have one slight problem with this in that once I am successful, I do not want to be found out through magics that I was the one responsible. I am positive they gonna be lookin fer it as you well know. As fer payment, I kin sell this oil of daylight I was given by some priest who came ta visit me in prison on the island. I won' get inta details about me plan with you. Less ye know is better. I think I be returning there this night because though he has rejected me, they dun know that. Free place ta sleep too. If that be all, I'll be on me way, sir."

''If he was a priest of Lathander, the one who gave you the oil, oh, the irony would be most delicious. As for fears of being magically tracked down, my advice is do not leave any witnesses- living or dead. You know, if you cut out their tongues or take off their heads, the dead truly do tell no tales. Hehehehe....''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Threan and his brother Glim are of coarse respectful to the count and bow to him . They are grimly silent during the trial unless called to speak .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Trial

Before Inovidil is called upon fior testimony/her appeal, a second witness is called: Master Threan.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''I'm Threan Shrenan. My brother, Glim, and I, we run a smithy and licensed weapons shop- you may have heard of us. I came into all this when Watch-Captain Rask asked me to help his team with an arms smuggling investigation.

With Alain Guischard and Blaise Redman, I spend the first part of the night of the 20th spying on suspected smugglers near the Marsh Gate. After Alain left- to make a report, I think, and Blaise infiltrated the suspected smuggler group, I went to check out the storehouse the suspicious men had been stocking. I didn't find anything inside but ordinary dry goods--- until I detected a light from one of the interior rooms. Creeping forward, I discovered Delthrin in conference with another man, whom I did not recognize. Delthrin had some silent men with him- men I suspected to be undead. I've fought undead for years- trust me, I can spot the signs.''

Threan's lips curl in distaste as he describes the suspected undead.

''When Delthrin suddenly announced that an alarm had sounded, though I heard nothing, and declared that someone had broken into his house and that he knew a thief was in the next room- well, you can imagine my reaction! I skedaddled out of that place and moved back to the informal headquarters of the team: the Old Shell inn and tavern.

When Blaise, Shana, and Ironheart showed up, I told them what had happened. Their reaction indicated that they knew something more than I knew about all this... I got the impression that something fishy was going on, involving those three. Despite my best efforts to help, the team was excluding me from certain pieces of information, I could tell. That seemed suspicious, but I let it go. My main concern was the safety of the missing team members. Shana and Blaise seemed to think that the three were the burglars. Realizing that Delthrin might kill them, or something else bad might happen, we set off to Blackpillars with the intent of intervening before things got out of control.

Once at Delthrin's house, we encountered one of his security measures: ghouls. The things nearly killed Shana and Blaise, disabling both of them early in the fight. Ironheart smashed a couple while I rescued Blaise, then Shana. The ghouls were trying to eat them alive, as is their way. Nasty things. Shana was badly hurt, almost dead, but I healed her before dispatching the last of the ghouls. Ironheart had settled the ones outside, and Blaise had mostly recovered from the attack. We pressed on. ''

Threan takes a drink from a silver flask before continuing-

''We finally got to Ino and Rardi in the house. Archedius was nowhere to be seen. I asked what had happened and they told me that they had overcome Delthrin after freeing a monster from his lab. The description of the monster made it clear to me; a MIND FLAYER! Well, I know about such evil beings; they eat brains and warp minds. I was nervous...
Rardi and Ino said to me that they then decided that without any evidence or proof of him being guilty of in the beheadings case, without letting him defend himself or answer questions. I got the impression this more more the dwarf's idea. Inovidil doesn't stike me as the cold-blooded type.

After I pointed out to Rardi that Mind Flayers are eaters of humanoids brains, she exploded with irrational anger. She wouldn't listen to me.
She just said that Delthrin got what he deserved for just being a Necromancer.
Now, I don't much care for necromancers who create undead monsters. Still, the man deserved a fair trial, at least.

After I heard all this from them in their own words I was shocked. Either they were criminals in the guise of watchmen- acting as ruthless vigilantes, or they were perhaps under the influence of a malign alien intelligence. Either way, I knew at once that I had to escape and get help. So that's exactly what I did.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Ildool motions for Threan to sit down.

''Yes, very good. I think you for your honesty and cooperation with the law. You may be seated.''

After Threan returns to his seat, Ildool proclaims-

''It is the law that the accused may speak in her own defense, but that is not possible for the dwarf. Rardi Silverhelm has escaped from jail, rather than face justice at this hearing. She has given up her right to defend herself in words by doing so.

I can only conclude, based on the wealth of evidence and testimony, that she is guilty of all charges: burglary, abuse of authority, assault upon a nobleman, attempting to bribe or intimidate witnesses so as to obstruct the King's Justice, and murder. To this we may add jailbreak.''

Lord Ildool drinks from a jeweled goblet before pronouncing his sentence upon the guilty [and absent] one:

''My sentence is threefold; Firstly, Rardi Silverhelm is stripped of her rank as a militiaman. Secondly, all of Rardi’s wordly goods are awarded to Miss Nell Wynnet. Finally, I condemn Rardi Silverhelm to death by hanging. The reward for her capture, dead or alive, is one-thousand crowns.''

Nell Wynnet looks up from her seat and exclaims,

''May the kind gods bless you, Lord Ildool! My father will be avenged.''

Ildool acknowledges the pretty mourner with a languid tilt of his head. He now turns his gaze upon Inovidil.

''Before I declare my judgment of you, would you care to say anything in your own defense? You may speak now.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

With Ino on the spot, Rask shifts his seat to be near Alain and whispers into the bard's right ear-

''She looks shaky. I don't know which gods you favor, but I suggest that you pray to all of them now, on her behalf.''

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Alain leans in to listen to Rask's words, his expression grim. After Rask says his peace, Alain watches the proceedings in silence.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil is very nervous when they lead her where the trial will take place. She feels her life is in great danger and for first time she cannot rely on her magic to solve the problem. She knows that she must convince the lord that she is at least innocent for the murder, but also knows that will be hard thing to do.

Once arrived there she looks nervously around and only nods to the familiar faces of her friends. Then she pays very much attention when everyone is speaking and when the Bailiff read the depositions. When lord Ildool said that she can finally defend herself, she gets a deep breath and after a silent prayer to Mystra stands up and says:

"Your Highness, everything was a huge mistake based on our ignorance. None of us knew illithids and what they do. I have never had the possibility to read a book about them or talk to someone that has encountered them. I was in complete dark about what they are and what they do. In my personal defence I can only say that I only did what my immediate superiors said. Was the Lieutenant Targaris who told us to break in the house of Deadmaster Delthrin and only after his and Sergeant Silverhelm decision we freed the illithid, which I repeat we didn't know what was capable to do, and let it have Master Delthrin. I was contrary of both acts, freed an unknown creature and even more let it have the Deadmaster. I argued with them about both. But my immediate superiors had taken a decision and I had to accept it."

Inovidil gives the Bailiff a quizzical look unsure if she has to step down or stay there.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Bailiff Davos approaches Inovidil and says to her in a quiet voice,

''Remain standing and silent- until Lord Ildool makes his judgment.''

The baron is now reading and rereading a parchment. He frowns, tugs his hair, coughs twice. After a few minutes [ which may seem longer than that to Ino :wink: ], he speaks-

''Very well...I have made my decision. I judge you to be guilty of misconduct, tresspass, and breaking the King's Peace; but not guilty of murder.''

There is a sharp intake of breath from Delthrin's daughter, but she says nothing.

Lord Ildool continues-

'' Your book of spells and all of your enchanted items are impounded.''

Before Ino can react-

''You have three days to pay a fine of five thousand gold crowns, four thousand of which shall go to Nell Wynnet in consideration of her great loss. Pay, and your things will be returned to you. Fail to pay, and the items in question are forfeit to Miss Wynnet.
Any additional punishment will have to be meted out by your superior, Watch-Captain Rask, I leave it to his discretion. ''

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise releases a breath that he didn't even realize he had been holding after Ildool issues his verdict. "Probably as well as it could have gone," he whispers to Shana, "considering that Delthrin's daughter is out for blood. I'll have to figure out what I can sell to help raise funds. Perhaps sexual favors -- I am popular with the ladies..."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil keeps her breath while the Lord Ildool makes his judgement. She almost jumps when he says that she isn't guilty for murder. But her smile froze when he says the fine she has to pay in 3 days and that Nelly will keep her spellbook and magical items till then. Inovidil hopes she can manage to get these 5000 gp in time, maybe she could sell something of her equipment or ask a loan from someone and then repay him by selling a spells to another wizard or scribe a few scrolls. Eager to leave to return to town she looks at Nelly and says:

"I'm really sorry for your loss, you will have your money in 3 days."

With that says in low voice so only the Bailiff can hear her:

"I'm free to go now sir? Have we finished?"
Last edited by VAN on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!