RLO transitions - a game ends, another begins (long)

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: The Fountain of Youth - OOC

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

...And this is the start of the new game:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/view ... =46&t=1093
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I am not authorised to view those forums (fora?)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Also, you guys now own a castle.
Heh, can it come with midgets and carney folk?? :P
Le Noir Faineant

Also, please stop posting here, and start posting there. :)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Wherever you read first, I am not authorized to use that thread..... maybe the others have the same problem?
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Wait so we will not play here in FoS or in chat? And will not be Wilderland? Why the forum says Blackmore? I might have lost a passage between the posts I think.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant

All your questions should be answered through the extensive tutorial I have written there,
and as of now, the board should be accessible to any registered member there.

The game will have a PBP part, and a chat part.
The PBP will play over at the Comeback Inn, because I am an admin there and that makes stuff easier for me to manage.

The chat will remain on Dragonsfoot, at least for now. (We might install a chat option at the Comeback Inn in the future, though.)

As to why "Blackmoor", basically Blackmoor and Wilderlands are part of the same setting, just two neighboring regions on the same world.
Blackmoor features "The Great Kingdom", which essentially is a giant sandbox, and there's where we going to play.
BUT THIS SHOULD NOT MATTER TO ANY OF YOU.

The big innovation, and something we will test out together will be the dominion rounds:

Basically, you are in charge of your own territory now, and supposed to not only make it a habitable place for you,
but also, to rule it like lords - in real time. But really, all is explained over there.

I will simply REFUSE to answer any further questions on THIS board concerning the new game.
I wrote about ten pages of tutorial over at the new board; please, everybody, read them in case there are things you do not understand right away. :soth:

The Ravenloft business is over!
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Le Noir Faineant

Can you access the board when you're logged in, Ewan?
Le Noir Faineant

Again, please report if you can access the page, Sirs (and M'am)! :)
Le Noir Faineant

So, it is done, and I declare this thread officially CLOSED.

Farewell, ye mists, I will miss your moist touch!

...Doesn't mean the Fraternity of Shadows will have seen me for the last time, though... :azalin:

Happy gaming... And fear the dark!

Yours,

Rafe
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RLO transitions - a game ends, another begins (long)

Post by ewancummins »

I disavow all involvement with this game.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Le Noir Faineant

Hey, everyone!

Now, this might be a blast from the past! :lucas:

So, I've started a very, very elaborate campaign journal over at Dragonsfoot, where I talk about many of my past games, and also a bit about my Ravenloft games - including this one.

Click this link here!!

I hope this will be enjoyable to you; it's still a work in progress, and for sure the lion's share of it is focused on non-Ravenloft games. Still so, Ravenloft is still very much the base for my D&D; this is why, in all modestly, I'm pretty sure you'll find stuff that you'll find useful.

The text I've so far written about my Ravenloft experience goes as follows below; I'm not sure how much I will add about Ravenloft, but... Eventually, I will add some more, and more elaborate notes on my games if I can still find them.

The Ravenloft Game, d20. Tabletop: 2004-2011. Quite probably, my coming-off-age games as a DM; when my university pals and I played whenever we could, and when I learned how to be a solid DM for adult (-ish) players. Many different adventures, mostly published, mostly from non-TSR sources like "Call of Cthulhu", and other horror imprints. You know, whatever you could buy over the counter, in those days. - Not ambitious games, but, in all modesty, the kind of stuff you need to get under your belt to be able to get an understanding of RPGs in general. My memories of that time are pretty foggy; I was reminded just last week that I apparently ran a multi-year campaign in Ravenloft's Souragne, with voodoo, zombies, and copious Monkey Island jokes. I had completely forgotten about it. :) I also ran other settings during that time, like Dragonlance, which I still am pretty sentimental about. But the important thing, outside of my PBPs, was always Ravenloft, and, of all my gaming items from that time, my "Masque of the Red Death" box set is still my most prized possession.

The Ravenloft CHAT Game, 2e and Solomoriah's BFRPG. PBP & Chat Game: 2005-2011. Mostly a training ground for my later PBPs, this game started as a PBP, and then became a chat game that we regularly played here at DF, every couple of months. Most of the party eventually migrated to the "Minstrel Cycle" PBP games - and others lamentably departed in the company of a lot of drama. Although starting out in the relatively obscure Ravenloft locale of "Staunton Bluffs", these games quickly turned into FR-heavy reinterpretations of the original "House of Strahd" module for 2e, and were inspired in great part by the novels "I, Strahd" by P. N. Elrod, and "Vampire of the Mists" by Christie Golden - sort of in the same way that the later d20 version of "Castle Ravenloft" was going at the same time. Most of the transcripts of the chat game still survive to this day, and, if you're really interested, you can check them out over at The Fraternity of Shadows. :)
To be clear, I don't need your clicks or upvotes; that's why I've put this on a forum, and not on a blog, or whatever. But I'm coming back here because writing this stuff together has made me realize how much of an influence Ravenloft has been on my take on RPGs, on fantasy, and on literature in general. I might not be posting a lot at the Frat, any more, and I surely have moved on to other games and settings, but Ravenloft - and, through it, this community - still hold a very dear place in my heart. :)

...And, yeah, the actual MotRD world map actually still hangs over my private writing desk. I'm not a particularly somber guy, but it's that sense of mystery and history that still gives me the kind of chills I know I can't shake. As long as I play RPGs, Ravenloft will be part of my game. :lucas:

EDIT: And now, actually with the correct link, and in the correct thread. Late hour is late. :soth:
Le Noir Faineant

Oh, for the love of it...!

I just had this sense of realization that this game - or, rather, my part in it - ended more than ten years ago, already. A decade ago!!

It's indeed been some time. That's... Some time.

:soth: :cookie: