RLO transitions - a game ends, another begins (long)

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Fountain of Youth - OOC

Post by ewancummins »

Rafael wrote:Well, that's your choice, then.

Again, I miss that blind trust in your DM you guys displayed in earlier stages of our game.
If I say I will respect your wishes as players, chances are, given past experiences, that I am.

I begin to realize it was probably simply a bad idea to revive RLO after the long break.
The game has run its course, and either we get a new group and a few fresh elements going,
or we should probably be wise enough to call it quits, before everybody drops out due to boredom or discontent.

After all, I am primarily doing this as a service to you guys, not out of any other reason.

Depending on what you guys decide over the next few days, or whether another reliable chat player shows up,
I would suggest we leave a slightly different version of "The Fountain of Youth" to my real-table gaming group, and part ways now.
Well, I am just one player.The other guys may like the idea of new PCs who have a chance to redeem the old PCs, Raf. Please don't let it all rise or fall on my preferences.

Staunton Bluffs began a little while before I joined. I can leave and the 'super-campaign' may continue after I am gone.

This isn't a 'Raf suxxor, I quit' moment. Not at all. You are a great DM, and I have very much enjoyed playing in your campaign. I'm just not all that interested in the recent proposal, that's all.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Maybe you should consider a player poll?

Something like:
  • Brethana and Ino's continuing adventures, with new PCs joining them

New PCs on a quest for the 'redemption' of the old PCs

New PCs on new adventures of their own, adventures that have nothing to do with the fate of the old PCs
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

No offense taken, no worries.

But please also realize that this is disappointing to me simply because I did this game for you guys, as a favor.

My incentive to game online, or game with other people is relatively small.

So, unless we five find a common ground on which we can play, frankly, I don't feel alright about continuing the game.

To put this into context, I started online gaming as a playful way to better my English, that exam was in late 2006. :wink:
After that, I really stayed because I think you all are cool dudes (and a dudette), and not so much for the nerdity factor.

Now, if that sense of group is slowly vaning, let's better call things off while we're still friends.
A few more games like the last session, and people are going to get upset with each other.

That said, if somebody has a better idea for gaming, probably even outside of Ravenloft or D&D,
and you guys think it's worth the while (and not too time consuming), AND everybody is willing to try, let's do that.

Really, no trouble here from my side, but I would like the group to stick together!
Le Noir Faineant

ewancummins wrote:Maybe you should consider a player poll?

Something like:
  • Brethana and Ino's continuing adventures, with new PCs joining them

New PCs on a quest for the 'redemption' of the old PCs

New PCs on new adventures of their own, adventures that have nothing to do with the fate of the old PCs

Sure, why not. - Though I think you really misunderstood the concept that I have for the upcoming game.
It's supposed to really be a mix of all three options, as I so far envision it. (Washing the dishes, and philosophizing with myself about Ravenloft, as I create my campaigns.)

It's just that I can't really tell any specifics other than what I already told you, due to the complex nature of the game,
at this point.

Which is why I would even suggest we leave Ravenloft be, and try something fresh.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

As far as I am concerned, I would be quite happy to play whatever you choose to run.

Ravenloft or otherwise!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Which is why I would even suggest we leave Ravenloft be, and try something fresh.
Hmmmmm...that might be a good idea.

You haven't mentioned a homebrew setting. Have you got one ready for online use?

Using a premade, easily accessible setting shortens prep time for the DM, and the reduces the learning curve for the players. Of course, sometimes a DM prefers the group to be much more in the dark about the setting. Given the time constraints of chatroom play, my guess is that sort of 'explore the world on step at a time' approach is not what you'd wish to run, Raf. Is that right?

Using a system that the DM and players all know, and for which they have access to resources, tends to reduce confusion and speed up play.

D20 has worked well for us thus far, and we all have access to the SRD. I'm fine with sticking to it, but I'm open to other possibilities.

I think that no campaign will be a success unless DM has his heart in it. He has to want to run it, just as much as his players want to play it.

Le Noir Faineant

Not sure what you mean there. :)

Basically, I enjoy and run all sorts of games.

As to a home setting, I have none, at least none that would work in English.

I would suggest, if you want ME to run a future game, that we rely on the Blackmoor/Wilderlands of High Fantasy background,
I am so familiar with due to my involvement with the LFC.

That's basically a sandbox setting, BUT with the advantage that the basic info for character generation and background
is really available to everybody, without the need for me to explain everything.

Don't get me wrong, but the least thing I can do right now or in the forseeable future is to write a players' manual
for any homebrew world.

As to rules systems, yeah, d20 is perfectly okay for me, and I would welcome that, too because it is already tested by us.

And, finally, I am not specifically keen on epic, world-changing events!
In fact, I like low-pace, low-level campaigns more than anything else, because they can inspire some sense of awe to my players.

We can, for example, run a very loose version of one of my favorite adventures EVER, "The Broken Tree Inn".
It would be set in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, and be a fairly deep stylistic departure,
in that it really deals with a brooding conflict between an Old Elven kingdom and human settlers.

Another, slightly more ambitious alternative for me would be to run "The Doom of Listonshire" for you, set in my Blackmoor.
That's a pretty Ravenloft-y game, but fairly long - that one would likely need five chat sessions to complete, at least.

Well, but really, I can run almost anything you guys want me to. All but Spelljammer. I HATE Spelljammer.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I must admit I don't share Ewan's concern about the RL game. References to previous games abound in Skybolt's campaign, for example, and I have no problem with those.

However,
We can, for example, run a very loose version of one of my favorite adventures EVER, "The Broken Tree Inn".
It would be set in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, and be a fairly deep stylistic departure,
in that it really deals with a brooding conflict between an Old Elven kingdom and human settlers.
I would be very enthusiastic about this
Another, slightly more ambitious alternative for me would be to run "The Doom of Listonshire" for you, set in my Blackmoor.
That's a pretty Ravenloft-y game, but fairly long - that one would likely need five chat sessions to complete, at least

And enthusiastic about this.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I would suggest, if you want ME to run a future game, that we rely on the Blackmoor/Wilderlands of High Fantasy background,
I am so familiar with due to my involvement with the LFC.

That's basically a sandbox setting, BUT with the advantage that the basic info for character generation and background
is really available to everybody, without the need for me to explain everything.

I'd be down for that, yeah.

That's a pretty Ravenloft-y game, but fairly long - that one would likely need five chat sessions to complete, at least
These both sound like winners to me. Between the two, Broken Tree Inn interests me the most.

Le Noir Faineant

Thank you! :)

Depending on what the others say, Broken Tree Inn it is, then.

In that respect, I don't mean to (rage)quit RLO. At all.

Perhaps we can return on another occasion, when the setting we have created is of appeal to us again.

In that respect, I should probably also state that there is no "supercampaign", or monstrous metaplot behind this game,
except for where you guys choose to expand it.

In real life, I usually tend to keep no game over a year of running time, for the reasons you have just witnessed:
Sooner or later, the characters get so much of their own life that it is difficult to write satisfying stories for everybody.

A fresh start, in a fresh setting might be what you guys might enjoy most at this moment.

We might also move the game to the Comeback Inn for the time it lasts, so I can handily create a subboard for us there.
As to the format, we will have chat sessions, AND a PBP, but that is all I can tell so far about what I envision.

The new game would come with two or three requirements, though:

:wink:

These three books will be the base for our game, so I suggest you try to get them:

Players' Guide to the Wilderlands by Necromancer Games

(The amazon price for that one is greatly exaggerated; you should be able to get it on ebay for 5$ used.)

Blackmoor Campaign Setting by Zeitgeist Games

The Maiden's Timeline, MY OWN RENDITION OF THE SETTING

(Probably the most interesting read to you in terms of character background.)

We can make do without you having ever glanced at this stuff, but to make things easier for you,
especially during character creation, I would suggest you read them.

On the plus side, Steve and Kintire are already familiar with the setting, so it wouldn't be that much of a change.
...And in that respect, I can already tell that the campaign would likely be set shortly before "The War of the Jewels",
which means a hundred years into the future of "The Promised Land".
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sounds good to me.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Mmm, I have a problem with that actually guys. I'm not familiar with Blackmoor or Wilderlands. Can we play in RL or FR that I'm familiar with? Start new PC or keep the old isn't that important for me. But right now I cannot afford to get new books and I will have really no time to read them even if were free. So I would have prefered if we play in a setting I know. But fi you all want to play a different one it's ok I already play with Tarlyn, Kintire and Lord Skybolt so you will not miss me playing with you. :lol:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant

I would miss you, Vannie! :cry:

Actually, if it's just you not familiar with the setting, we can make do.

Basically, the third document in the list (A FREE PDF) should be more than enough to get you started; the rest we can manage together.

It's not like I require much reading, anyway, just as an orientation... :lucas:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I can live with that. I have an idea for a really cool pc as does ewan. I hope that they'd be accepted by you :D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EDITED OUT- No longer needed.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.