MotRD with PFRPG - The Metaphysician

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

MotRD with PFRPG - The Metaphysician

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Adept - Metaphysician

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Arcane Weave, starting spells, detect magic, read magic. Universalist School. Analytical Weakness. Methodical bonus +1.
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Bonus skill focus feat.
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 Hand of the Apprentice (1+ Int mod / day).
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Bonus skill focus feat.
6th +3 +2 +2 +5 Methodical bonus +2.
7th +3 +2 +2 +5 Hand of the Apprentice (2+Int mod / day).
8th +4 +2 +2 +6 Metamagic Mastery (1/day)
9th +4 +3 +3 +6
10th +5 +3 +3 +7 Bonus skill focus feat.
11th +5 +3 +3 +7 Hand of the Apprentice (3+Int mod / day).
12th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 Methodical bonus +3.
13th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8
14th +7/+2 +4 +4 +9 Metamagic Mastery (2/day)
15th +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 Bonus skill focus feat.
16th +8/+4 +5 +5 +10
17th +8/+4 +5 +5 +10
18th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Metamagic Mastery (3/day)
19th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11
20th +10/
+5 +6 +6 +12 Bonus skill focus feat.

Hit Die: D4+2
Weapons:
All Metaphysicians are proficient in both simple weapons and handguns.

Class skills: Hypnosis (Cha), Knowledge (ancient languages, earth sciences, forbidden lore, sciences plus a choice of one other Knowledge skill out of archeology, cryptology or history) (Int), and one Profession (science related).
Skill points at each level: 4 + Int Mod

Arcane Weave (Ex):
A Metaphysician needs an Intelligence score of 10 + the level of the spell to learn and cast a spell.
Starting spells:
Metaphysicians begin with knowledge of Detect Magic and Read Magic spells, plus three 0-level spells and three 1st level spells.

Methodical Bonus (Ex):
At 1st level, the Metaphysician, because he is so thorough in his spellcasting, gains a +1 bonus to his spell DC. This bonus increases to +2 at 5th level and +3 at 15th level. But, being so precise means his spellcasting time is doubled.

Analytical weakness (Ex):
The Metaphysician has a hard time accepting that which he cannot explain. Therefore all checks versus mind-affecting magic are made with a - 2 modifier.

Skill Focus Feats:
The Metaphysician gains Skill Focus at 2nd, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level. The Metaphysician may choose from the following list: Academician (Wis), Knowledge (any) (Int) and Linguistics (Int).

Hand of the Apprentice (Su):
At 4th level, the Metaphysician has access to this ability 1+Int mod / day. This increases to 2+Int mod / day at 7th level, and 3+Int mod at 11th level. Take note there is 1% Powers Check associated with the use of the Hand of the Apprentice.

Metamagic Mastery (Su):
At 8th level, the Metaphysician has access to this ability 1/day, 2/day at 14th level and 3/day at 18th level. The usual chances for a Powers Check still apply for the use of a metamagic feat.
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

Great stuff I've great interest in this material.

I have some constructive critisism if you're agreeable,

Do you have plans on linking HD to base attack as with the other PF classes? It's just I see that the metaphysician has a D4 HD.

I know it would be a rare MotRD game that reaches 20th lvl, but have you put some thought into a more substantial capstone abilities for classes at 20th level?

If you have any interest I'm working on a Pathfinder/Basic Ravenloft conversion guide project which is nearing completion of the first pdf. It is always good to see new material.

Link to Paizo
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Hi Brass,

Please send criticism my way! By all means!

The HD is taken from Iron Heroes: D4 + 2 (+CON Mod). So it's better than just D6.

About 20th level abilites, I am torn right now, because I still want this to feel like MotRD, but not a wimped out version (especially for casters). Food for thoughts...

I'll PM you my email for the PDF. I am ABSOLUTELY interested in seeing this. Please take note of my turtle speed while doing this! :)

Thank you!
Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

looks great glad there is still some intrest in MoftRD