languages gothic earth and ravenloft

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

languages gothic earth and ravenloft

Post by herkles »

Hello,

I got a question, Assuming a person from gothic earth was misted into Ravenloft, would they be able to understand anyone in Ravenloft? For example a person is brought into the Mists from France and winds up near Dementlieu, would they be able to understand each other or is french and high mordentish two completely different languages despite looking similar.

herkles
Loethadai the Lurker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: languages gothic earth and ravenloft

Post by Loethadai the Lurker »

Well, I've always looked at Gothic Earth as kind of a stand alone Ravenloft Domain in it of itself. Gothic Earth, outside of the Red Death, and it's minions, is no different than our world was during the 1890's. I consider the Ravenloft Core Domains, etc. to be that of a Fantasy Gothic Horror setting. Should they be allowed to intermix? Mmmmmaybe..., but I think it's stretching it a bit. The two appear to be as different as vinegar and water, and neither the twain should meet. At least, this is my take on the subject.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

The languages of Ravenloft do borrow from real world languages, and that's what Gothic Earth uses. Darkonese (and I could be all wrong) seems to be Latin, High Mordentish is French while Low Mordentish is pre-Norman English (what was spoken before the invasion of England in 1066). Others...well, could someone help? I'm still recovering from a medication issue and my mind is the consistency of gum with all the flavor chewed out...oh, wait. That's how it always is. :D
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Souragnien is French isn't it? Is Falkovnian German? I don't really know any others but am sure somewhere on our site each language is explained ;)
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Souragnien is actually closer to Louisiana Creole, a mix of Spanish, French, English, and indigineous languages. French is a bit more dominant than others largely because the Louisiana Territory was French territory before 1802.
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

Well Barovioan would diffently a Slavic base. Vistani would be a mix much like gypsies of Gothic Earth a dabble of indian (dots not feathers), slavic and a touc of arabic.
Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms
And the moon is full and bright
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Officially (at least in 2E), only one Gothic Earth language is spoken in Ravenloft: Italian, spoken by the residents of Odiare.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Garudos Celestar wrote:Officially (at least in 2E), only one Gothic Earth language is spoken in Ravenloft: Italian, spoken by the residents of Odiare.
With the release of the canon Gazetteers, it became pretty clear that domain languages were based on real-world languages. The domains reflect fictional and non-fictional areas and stories from reality; why reinvent the wheel when making their languages? Exceptions like Borca (Venice under Borgia rule) are unique because they already have ties to other domains that trump what they would speak if this rule was adhered to too closely.