Ravenloft's links to Gothic Earth

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ravenloft's links to Gothic Earth

Post by The Lesser Evil »

So I was interested in getting a thread started on the links between Ravenloft and Gothic Earth. Of course the most obvious one is the presence of the Vistani, and the Red Death seems to be implicitly linked to Ravenloft's dark powers (following a Vistani exodus from there after being called forth by the mystics of Egypt).

Domans of Dread retconned Odiare as coming from Gothc Earth's Italy.

And perhaps, most interestingly,some infamous Ravenloft figures seem to coexist in Ravenloft and Gothic Earth at the same time. The Guide to Transylvania (2e) mentions that the Nightmare Court extends its reach into Gothic Earth, and IIRC, one of the 3e Campaign Classics articles in Dragon implied Dr. Dominani's existence on Gothic Earth as well. Would be interesting to hear about any other such figures that exist in both realms.

What other connections might Ravenloft and Gothic Earth have? What do you make of these connections in your game?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft's links to Gothic Earth

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I don't recall that Dominiani connection. I'll have to dig up those Dragon articles and take a look.

There's also Drigor, who was spotted on Gothic Earth in one of the BoS framing fictions.

And speaking of netbooks, there are some GE connections in our upcoming Sea of Sorrows Gazeteer. :twisted:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Dragon 339, (p. 77), a Spellcraft article- Heinfroth's Manual of Methods- in there it says that on Gothic Earth the Asylum for the Mentally Disturbed is located north of Boston, seeming to indicate that he exists simultaneously in both worlds. There's also a bit of a correspondence with Dr. Ilhousen, implying he exists in both worlds as well. The majority of the article describes mostly a slew of new mind-bending spells and such- but there are neat little tidbits tucked away in the sidebar and the lead-in intro to the article.

To save others some time flipping pages looking for the Nightmare Court reference in the Guide to Transylvania, it's on p. 62, with an additional member of the Nightmare Court described- the Redheaded child).

And, you're killing me on the Sea of Sorrows hinting. I didn't even know you guys were working on that. When is it due out?
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

It's canon that the domain of Odiare is from Gothic Earth. Odiaran is really Renaissance-era Italian.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote:To save others some time flipping pages looking for the Nightmare Court reference in the Guide to Transylvania, it's on p. 62, with an additional member of the Nightmare Court described- the Redheaded child).
Yup, though because the Court is described in The Nightmare Lands as being able to reach into the dreams of those outside of Ravenloft on any world, this is hardly surprising. But nice to see. :)
And, you're killing me on the Sea of Sorrows hinting. I didn't even know you guys were working on that. When is it due out?
Ehhhh..... umm.... soon? we're working on it. I'm hoping sometime in the first half of this year, but I can't say for sure.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."