Renaming Magic Items for Gothic Earth

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Number Six
Conspirator
Conspirator

Renaming Magic Items for Gothic Earth

Post by Number Six »

One thing that all incarnations of MotRD/Gothic Earth appear to have in common is a low-magic setting. In the 2E 'Guide to Gothic Earth', it is suggested that any and all magic items be renamed (a +2 sword becomes the fire of the morning sun because it was forged in Japan, etc).

Has anyone ever attempted a list of common magic items that they've renamed for MotRD? (I'm talking potions of healing, rings of protection +1, etc).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Renaming Magic Items for Gothic Earth

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I haven't actually played MotRD, but I like to do the same in Ravenloft. I have in my campaign a +1 ghost touch dagger called The Mournesworth Dagger.

I also like to not just name them, but sometime re-theme them into other objects, or no object at all. For example, a belt of battle is the inspiring icon, and a headband of intellect is "The Whispers of 1000 Voices" (an innate ability to draw information from local spirits), instead of a physical headband.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Renaming Magic Items for Gothic Earth

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Also don't forget that magic items on Gothic Earth, even the most minimal, have some sort of a cosmetic effect that announces they aren't mundane. There's also the innate "curse" all magical items created after the Red Death arrived will carry. This isn't a literal curse (but it could be) so much as some sort of influence the magic item has on its owner. The fire of the morning sun forces its user to get up at sunrise without fail, for example. A Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) or Spellcraft check (DC 20 + item's caster level) would allow someone to recognize a magic item from either its cosmetic effect or influence/curse.

Magical items crafted before the arrival of the Red Death (think early Bronze Age at the latest) do not have any influence on their users. They're "untainted" by the spider that set itself up at the center of the web of magic. Likewise for items from outside Gothic Earth, though how such would arrive requires one helluva story.

One last caveat. Ravenloft is low-magic. Gothic Earth is nearly non-existent magic. Magical items are so rare each is unique and storied in its own right; not just a name but a history. (Yes, I know I tend to breake these rules in The Gothic Journals, but don't forget the magic items involved there are from outside GE and fairly recent arrivals--ten to twenty years at the oldest.)
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."