Help with understanding 3.5 Character Classes!

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Help with understanding 3.5 Character Classes!

Post by A G Thing »

I just want to understand if I am making my character correct as the book leaves me wondering...

It says...

Six core classes are detailed here, each with variants that present alternative areas of specialization. Each variant only lists changes from or additions to the core class on which it’s based.

I am playing a Tradesman using the Performer variant.

So do I just make a Tradesman and then change things on the levels and other areas that are altered by the Variant as it seems to imply?

Or do I just use the Variant progression without reference to the Base Class?

So far I have just been using the Variant table for Performer for creating my character and Ignoring the Base Class entirely. I only played Masque using other systems so far so I don't know if this is right but I want to double check. If I am supposed to still reference the base class and make a sort of Gestalt character I want to know.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with understanding this! :)
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Help with understanding 3.5 Character Classes!

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Pretty much the variants are classes unto themselves. They follow their own progressions. So you've been doing the right thing. Ignore the poor wording; it's another symptom of the lousy state White Wolf editors (editor; that ought to be a four-letter word) left Ravenloft in before their license with Wizards expired.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Thanks a bunch Mikhal... :D I am glad to have a bit of closure on it...

I wish they could have been able to edit it better too. Of course I wish they were still making products for our favorite settings as well.

From all I have heard of the situation at that time I can't blame them for much. Despite some flaws I liked their work and was sad to see it end just as anyone was I am sure!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

hi AG,

I agree with Mikhal, variants are separate classes. But some of them are pretty dull, with nothing going on at each level except for new skills and hp. In my opinion, Patrick's versions in A Player's Guide to Classes in MotRD are much better.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

I will do so then Ail. Looking forward to the game! :D