dread elementals in red death?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

dread elementals in red death?

Post by jules »

how would dread elementals be handled in gothic earth?
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: dread elementals in red death?

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Magic and the supernatural are so rare on Gothic Earth as to be thought of as myth. That doesn't mean dread elementals don't exist but besides having some sort of masque (invisibility works for such an uncanny monster) they might provoke Horror saves as well. Seeing a pile of grave dirt in a roughly humanoid shape move around would rattle many people's beliefs in what's real and what isn't. Conjuring or summoning them is still possible, albeit rare given how few spellcasters there are and, for adepts, how hard it is to find new spells.

Spontaneous dread elementals, like the dirt or funeral pyre, or water from the lungs, of an especially wicked person, or an act of truly heinous proportions in a misty area, work as justification for their appearance. Whether or not they would still have the Mists subtype is up to the DM. The Mists are exclusive to Ravenloft proper but many of the unique creatures that haunt the Realms of Dread are also found on Gothic Earth. Mechanically it wouldn't matter if they still had the Mists subtype or not save for the Entities from the Id feat.

One final consideration: Mists elementals wouldn't be composed of the Mists per se but still of mist and have all their listed abilities.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."