Professor Anna Mesmer: Real or Fictional?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Professor Anna Mesmer: Real or Fictional?

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I'm looking for some information on Anna Mesmer (Gothic Earth Gazetteer, p. 41-42) but can't find any mention of her online. I understand that Franz Mesmer is a real person. Is Professor Anna Mesmer a fictional person the designers of the Gothic Earth setting made up to have an equivalent figure in the 1890s?
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Professor Anna Mesmer: Real or Fictional?

Post by Ender »

Not having a lot of experience with Gothic Earth, I can't say much, but the passage in the Gaz says this:
In the years since, the Franz Mesmer Institute for the Study of Psychic Phenomenon has shocked the scientific world with claims of amazing discoveries and mysterious occurrences.
This would suggest that Franz Mesmer existed in the Gothic Earth universe. In real life, Franz Mesmer married one Anna Maria von Posch. The Anna in Gothic Earth exists a few decades after the real Franz Mesmer's life, so I would speculate that Gothic Earth's Anna Mesmer is a descendant of Franz Mesmer, named after von Posch, who followed in Franz's footsteps and came to run the institute named after him.