Sentient Magic Items

Discussing all roleplaying games
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sentient Magic Items

Post by Jimsolo »

So...intelligent magic items.

I've only just recently started looking at D&D 4e again. I dallied a bit when it came out, decided it wasn't for me, and didn't look back. But now I am trying my hand at writing some material for gaming publications, and I have run into a couple of snafus. While most of them can be resolved by, gasp, reading the rules (something I have no problem doing...) I have been unable to get my mind around this particular one.

Do intelligent magic items exist in 4e, or is that just the purview of artifacts? I've gone through the 4e PHB and DMG again, and the only thing I can find about sentient magic items is in the artifact section. Is that option no longer an option for non-artifact magical items? Is it detailed in a different book? (And if so, which one?) Or have I merely overlooked the appropriate section?

Thanks for any help I can get.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Sentient Magic Items

Post by alhoon »

I have some books of 4E and I've looked in the character builder before and I haven't seen any intelligent magical items aside from artifacts.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
desheikh
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by desheikh »

I have been unable to get my mind around this particular one.?
Are you interested in mcitp itil? Get our self paced free microsoft certification ccna and passguideitil study packages to pass your without any difficulty in microsoft certification test lsat.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Dragon Magazine #367 pp.22-30: Intelligent Items in 4E.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Rite Publishing #30 Intelligent Magic Items, highly rated - for Pathfinder RPG for $2.95 - read the reviews.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

MichaelTumey wrote:Rite Publishing #30 Intelligent Magic Items, highly rated - for Pathfinder RPG for $2.95 - read the reviews.
I know there wasn't a [4e] in the title, but the OP was specifically asking about 4e, not PF. That does look like a good source of inspiration, though.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

I didn't notice that, however, since PF is based on 3x, despite 4e being largely a different animal, I think a conversion of magic items from one edition to another isn't as serious of a difference as the difference between player classes in either edition. Also 4e, as far as I know, due to the nature of the GSL license, hadn't got many third party creations for it, so there's little hope to find such content outside of 4e books. If its not there, you'd need to convert or create from scratch.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

I'm not very familiar with 4th Edition, but it seems like the defining characteristics of artifacts in that incarnation of the game are their relationships with their owners and their tendency to eventually "move on." Overwelming power doesn't seem as much of an attribute as in 3rd and earlier editions: it might be possible to design whatever item you have in mind as an artifact, even if it's intended for fairly low-level characters.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.