My take on the Geneforge games + fanfiction

Discussing all roleplaying games
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

My take on the Geneforge games + fanfiction

Post by alhoon »

For those of you that don't know, Geneforge series is a series of five RPG games with low graphics and great story. I've played the 4th and 5th installment and unable to stop, I started on Geneforge 3.

Geneforge is a non-traditional RPG where you actually make your party. The character is part of an all powerful secretive order of mages called "Shapers" that can create life out of magic. So, when I say "you make your party" I mean your character actually creates the creatures that accompany him.
The world and the story is immersive. The Shapers have absolute power in the continent they control and are very strict on who can learn their secrets and thus who can in take part in their elite society. While they are by their laws not cruel to their Creations, they treat even the sentient creatures they make as slaves, automatically destroying any such creature that shows signs of disobedience.
Their treatment of sentient creations, their mad experiments and their power-hoarding lead to a rebellion at the 3rd game that keeps up to the 5th game. The seeds of the Rebellion were planted in the first two games that I haven't played.

Unlike many games, both sides (rebels and shapers) have the good, the bad and the very bad. A civil war is always a bloody thing where honor has little value and the games depict this accurately. Both sides make atrocities as they go and no side can be considered to be "good".

Geneforge games have some of the most memorable NPCs I have seen in an RPG in a long time and after playing over 150 hours GF4 and GF5, I still couldn't stop so I went back to GF3. And this for games that have graphics worse than the first BGate. Yes, the story is THAT good.

Here is some fan fiction I am making as I progress in GF3, that shows just one of the many paths possible for that game. I'll update it as I continue the game.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!